Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I am great about thinking of cross training but never seem to be consistent good in actually doing it. I try and do 2-3 15-20 TRX strength workouts a week and then 1 day of Pelaton, rowing stair climber and/or elliptical depending on mood and equipment available. I fully admit though that when I get busy or tired, crosstraining is the first thing to go and I don't look back...until I get injured.

SAFD:
I do aqua jogging once a week and either bike or walk one other day. I also do my physical therapy/RunSmart strength exercises on Sundays and Wednesdays. For a while, I was slacking on the strength workouts, but once I put them on the calendar like a run, they got a LOT more consistent.

I really need to add yoga to my routine, but I haven't found a good day to do it. Which has me wondering - is there any reason why I shouldn't be doing yoga the day before my long runs? That's truly the only day that is free right now.
I do my yoga the day before my long runs, and it hasn’t seemed to hurt me. Yoga mostly relaxes and stretches me, which seems like a good thing to do before running.

SAFD: I started doing weekly strength sessions with a trainer a few years before I started running. Because it's a long term commitment, and my husband goes too, we get a good deal.

It helps keep me accountable because I'm meeting another person. We try to keep it the same day every week, but the exact time can flex around my schedule. I keep him posted on my current running regimen or training schedule, and we mix things up to compliment accordingly.

SAFD: I used to do a lot more cross training, usually more than running, but between focusing on running, recovering from injury, and now being a lot busier and on my feet at work, the cross training has stopped. I'm hoping once I get into a groove at work, that I'll slowly be able to add cross training back in. I do fit in some focus flow yoga (so really, stretching) on the days I'm not running.
I really like all the cross training options available through Peloton, since I can get a really good workout in in 10 minutes.

SAFD: My coach gives me strength & conditioning sessions 1-2 times per week and stretching after every run no matter the distance. With apologies to @Ariel484 i don’t do as much yoga as I should. Still trying to make that a regular habit again.
BA6CC7A0-DAA0-4B49-8D4F-90FF47B9EB9F.gif

EDIT: okay in the interest of full disclosure, I haven’t been fitting yoga in as much as I should/want to. Not enough hours in the day…

SAFD: Not as much as I should. As I increased my running, my other activities dropped. I have the best of intentions but there is only so much time in a day.
This is what happened to me. I was alternating strength training and running but as my training for running intensified, something had to give. I still do some water running and lower leg exercises to help with my PF and shin splints, but otherwise just focus on running right now.

SAFD

I do a lot of cross training. My last long race was the Tink half in 2017, and at that point I had burned myself out on distance running and badly needed a break. I start doing Orangetheory Fitness 3-4 times per week (60 min workout that is half treadmill/half strength training, sometimes with rowing), loved it immediately and stuck with that up until the pandemic started. Up to that point, I had struggled with back problems for years and I think that consistently doing strength training for the first time ever - especially core stuff - really solved about 99% of that (so sorry to say @Baloo in MI but I agree with your doctor!). I'm kind of afraid to give up strength workouts at this point because I feel like my back issues will come back if I do, so that keeps me committed. Hooray for fear-based motivation I guess? 😖 But I have really grown to like strength training a lot and I think it's really important for injury prevention.

Anyway - my OTF studio temporarily shut down when the pandemic started, so I tried the Peloton app for at-home workouts in March 2020. They have workouts similar to OTF (they call them "bootcamps"), as well as strength and yoga workouts in addition to their cycling and running stuff. We eventually upgraded to their bike about a year later after using a Schwinn spin bike for awhile, and I have been bouncing around the Peloton workouts ever since.

So my issue is the opposite of what a lot of people are saying here - I DON'T want to just run, I want to do everything (except rowing, I never EVER got good at that). Running, spinning, yoga, strength training and stretching - even dabbling in some 10-minute barre classes here and there, which I think are helping my hips a lot during running. I think it helps both physically (injury prevention, bone strengthening, etc.) and mentally (hopefully avoiding that burnout I felt a few years ago). But I also have a family and a job, sooo...how to fit it all in? 🙇🏼‍♀️

TL;DR: yes I do cross training 🤩

Unfortunately the Cirque show ends December 31, 2022 so there will be no shows during MW unless you are there a weekend early.
I haven’t seen/heard that it’s closing. I think they just haven’t released the next block of tickets yet?

SAFD:
I like cross-training more than I like running 😆 Don’t tell.
Girl SAME!
I run 4 days a week, and I usually swim one day a week and then bike 1-2 days a week as well. The swimming and cycling are easy when I'm focused on marathon training, but my body AND mind need a break from running all the time.
I usually swim the day after a long run - I get into the pool stiff and sore, and get out feeling SO much better.
I don't do yoga, but I will do quality focused stretching sessions and core stuff nearly every day.

SAFD: At this point walking makes up the vast majority of my cross-training. I used to play a lot of Ultimate Frisbee and disc golf as cross-training, but the zero drop in my cleats started playing havoc with my Achilles and the cutting wasn't doing my legs and hips any favors at my age, so Ultimate has dropped off. Disc golf was barely cross-training, anyway, so I'm not sure if it's really been much of a loss as it's dropped off a cliff during the pandemic. I do desperately need to get back to my PT stretching activities, but life has interfered there... Bottom line, don't use me as an example unless it's as a cautionary tale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter