Marathon Weekend 2023

(late)SAFD, because I did my last 20 then had to immediately test, shower, and sprint to my friend's annual 25-layer lasagna party. Perfect follow-up, honestly :D

I've had more elaborate costumes before -- ToT bellhop outfit, a blue Belle & white/red Mary Poppins I bought from Etsy. This year I was so focused on training (and work, and life...) I went simpler:
  • 5K, Indy: I'd honestly never buy brown running leggings if it wasn't for this costume. But old navy running leggings are my favorite, and they were the perfect shade! So brown leggings, a tan tank, my Indy hat & whip are ready to go! Figured the 5K would be the least annoying race to wear the hat and carry the whip 😅
  • 10K, Gonzo: My friends are doing chip & dale rescue rangers, so I wanted to avoid Indy for this one too. I've got bright, bright, BRIGHT blue leggings and a Gonzo shirt. I couldn't find a hat I liked, but I'm going to keep looking. I was originally thinking of a Great Gonzo cape, but I haven't run with one yet and don't want to be annoyed by the fabric
  • Half, Donald: Yellow leggings, white shorts (though I lost my fluffy duck tail from MNSSHP a few years ago!), blue tank, and a donald cap. Donald bound!
  • Full, Mickey: I was nervous about sticking with capri leggings since it may/will likely get hot, but since I'm wearing a tank I'm not too concerned. I'm also a little nervous about wearing black bike shorts since I tend to chafe (even with bodyglide/megababe - the fabric seams bother my legs), and I'd rather stick with what works. So that's black capri leggings and red running shorts over it. I have white gloves which will likely be dropped at some point, and I have to put ears on a baseball cap. That's it!

Late SAFD - Costume will be similar to the Marathon Minnie that is my avatar pic. Yellow tank, pink shorts (forgot about the white stripe, will either use hockey tape or sew a ribbon on them). Running hat with ears and bow. Trying to find some white stretchy gloves but not sure how long I would keep them on. DH "costume" (or Disney bound) is Pooh - red shirt, yellow shorts, yellow hat with small Pooh ears (not complete yet as we ordered a hat off Etsy and it hasn't arrived yet, but we have a backup hat here - just waiting to sew the ears on whichever fits better). As it is our first marathon, we didn't want to go elaborate, but the costumed runners are one of my favourite parts of RunDisney, so kudos to everyone doing themed outfits!!
Disney themed decorations: We didn't put up a tree this year (cry) just due to a lack of time to put it up and take it down. My favourite decorations are a set of glass mickey-ear "balls" that my parents bought me on what was our last or 2nd last trip to Disneyland together before my Dad became ill and died (have great memories of that trip), a "merry christmas" door decoration from Tokyo Disneyland 2012, and a Chip N Dale mini wreath (stuffy material) (can't find it right now). I used to put it up at our old condo, but this one has too much traffic past our door and I'm afraid someone will steal it. It's currently in the box with the rest of the decorations, so I didn't take a picture.
IMG-8359.JPGIMG-8362.JPG

I did my last long run (16 miles - Hanson's program) yesterday and it was extremely slow and challenging due to the weather conditions. Lots of snow and wind, and on sidewalks / roads (maybe 1/3 of it), very slippery areas - also, my hands were frozen by the end (but the rest of me was fine). Beautiful trail at the start of it. Feel good today but right achilles is a tiny bit sore. I have to take transit and walk to work today (b/c I hate driving in snow) so I'm glad I feel fine.
IMG-8354.jpg

I am so ready for some Florida sunshine! This morning’s temperature was unexpected And I did not have the appropriate pants on. My legs were VERY cold. 🥶
C79950E5-91F3-44B6-B5DE-254A48C9F80D.jpeg

SAFD: No costumes for me, but we do have some favorite disney ornaments. My absolute favorite is the skyliner one with Pooh and friends. My kids have slept with their Piglet and Pooh stuffed animals since they’ve been old enough to safely do so. 🥰 Another favorite is this Slinky Dog one. I love the style of Old World Christmas ornaments and this one was a lucky find.
61DA3E3C-6EED-41B8-A73A-274D539F55D6.jpeg
A9B5F998-635E-4841-86B8-35568B700CF2.jpeg

Because this comes up in pre-race discussions, I've added a new "Main Street Viewing Timing" and "TTC to Poly to Finish Line Viewing Timing" calculations to the DIS List sheet.

View attachment 726237

View attachment 726236

Is there anyone else looking to submit information before I put out the first draft edition?
Thanks for the rough timing calculation for getting to Main Street. I’ve been trying to figure out how feasible it is to have my mom watch from the start until I loop back around. Sounds like it might be possible but is risky since I only expect a 50 min gap.

I will also be changing clothes mid-course, so I'm curious to hear what your change is. Is it a costume switch or just fresh running clothes?
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only slightly crazy one thinking of doing a costume change mid course haha. With the 90's theme I'm planning to do my two favorite 90's Disney characters... I will be traveling alone so I'm having to get creative on how to make the costume change work but I think I have it figured out.

While this is like my 12th runDisney race I have a dumb question for this group... in the past we start finding out our bib numbers once we get the race waiver to sign... But since we have signed a digital waiver this year do we still get another waiver with the bib number or has it changed when we find that out? Thanks

RACE - Full
DIS'er name - gfsrunxc23
Costume/Clothing - tbd
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 1:20 half marathon POT
Club runDisney Platinum? - No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - no
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - front
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - 7:00

While this is like my 12th runDisney race I have a dumb question for this group... in the past we start finding out our bib numbers once we get the race waiver to sign... But since we have signed a digital waiver this year do we still get another waiver with the bib number or has it changed when we find that out? Thanks
I believe the bib numbers are on the Expo Pass, which you would get a few days before the expo start.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only slightly crazy one thinking of doing a costume change mid course haha. With the 90's theme I'm planning to do my two favorite 90's Disney characters... I will be traveling alone so I'm having to get creative on how to make the costume change work but I think I have it figured out.

You will find out your bib number (but not your corral, although we make some educated guesses) when you get your expo pass (assuming you’re not international) OR by looking yourself up in runner tracking when that goes live on Jan 2nd.

Last edited:
Because this comes up in pre-race discussions, I've added a new "Main Street Viewing Timing" and "TTC to Poly to Finish Line Viewing Timing" calculations to the DIS List sheet.

View attachment 726237

View attachment 726236

Is there anyone else looking to submit information before I put out the first draft edition?
One thing that might be good to note is to not cross the road (Grand Floridian Way, I think) by the Poly. My wife did one year and then they didn't let her cross back over to get to the TTC. She was concerned that she'd miss me finish, but luckily she made it.

I'm doing Princess, and am re-thinking my 10K costume. The sparkle skirt is a little uncomfortable on my skin, even with long-ish compression shorts.

I'm now with family for two weeks and away from my tree, but I have several Disney ornaments. My very first Disney ornament was the ArisoCats kittens in a basket, and I love it. I also have a Mulan ornament I bought at Princess in 2019, with a medal sash and 10K painted on it. Then there's ornaments for Captain Redd, Merida, and Megara. Yes, several ornaments, and my collection grows each year. I do have non-Disney ornaments and I try to balance the collections on my tree.

My wife signed up for the 10K, but due to injuries she is not doing it. RunDisney obviously did not provide a refund (no problem, we completely understand). We adjusted our travel plans to accommodate only me doing the marathon, so we're arriving on Saturday. Would she still be able to pick up her 10K shirt when we go to WWoS to get my bib? Or are they only available before the race takes place?

I'm sure we can just ask when we arrive, but I'm curious if others have had a similar experience.

Did anyone try to go to the Wine and Dine expo with the virtual queue with more than 6 people? We're a party of 7 running together, and logistically trying to get two VQ spots at the same time will be a nightmare. I wonder how strict they'll be with letting extra people in with the group? Or if I should try to get our group down to 6 people only for shopping.

For anyone who drives to the races from a Disney resort, what time do you leave? I see we need to be parked by 4 (woof).

SAFD: rD wants an early-90s theme? I’m bringing my real-life early-90s game for the 10K: Red Hot Chili Peppers tee, vintage flannel shirt I’ve actually owned since ‘92 when I snagged it from my grunge band boyfriend, and Nirvana Mickey ears. Smells Like Teen Spirit, baybee. :laughing: No plan for the marathon-not-a-marathon - 100% weather dependent and may wind up doing all black in protest of the intended theme (And also because 99% of my wardrobe is all black lol).

So, 30+ years of being a WDW regular and buying at least one vacation ornament each year means my 20yo saying this year as we decorated one of the 2 trees: “Mom, this tree is almost entirely Disney ornaments - we need to get out more.” If I have to pick a favorite, it’s probably the non-Disney-but-purchased-at-EP ninja ornament from Japan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter