March Break madness ~crowds, craziness and cocktails! A March '22 PTR! TR link 03/22

Thanks for joining in, Caroline! :)
You have to get the burrata at WBG it is divine!
I am hearing so many good things about the burrata! Definitely on my list!
I love your plans so far
Thank you! I am so excited for this trip. :)
We are trying the extra hours in the evening for the first time in April. We are staying at WL, yay!
So exciting that you will be at WL! It's the best!
SSR is one place we have not stayed yet, I will be excited to hear your review. Now that Andi is older it really appeals to us with its proximity to DS!
I will be sure to let you know my thoughts. It looks really pretty and we are excited for the proximity to DS too.

Great plans for your trip.

I'm trying WBG for the first time in April but opted for dinner. I'm really looking forward to it. All the recommendations for the ribs at Morimoto make me want to try it too.

Great plans for your trip.

I'm trying WBG for the first time in April but opted for dinner. I'm really looking forward to it. All the recommendations for the ribs at Morimoto make me want to try it too.
Thank you! So exciting that you are going down in April! Where are you guys staying? The menu at WBG looks so good!

Thank you! So exciting that you are going down in April! Where are you guys staying? The menu at WBG looks so good!

Unfortunately for now I'm booked All Star Sports. I'm hoping Danielle can find me a CM discount before my trip for something else.

Unfortunately for now I'm booked All Star Sports. I'm hoping Danielle can find me a CM discount before my trip for something else.
The good thing is that the All Stars have all been remodelled so your room will be lovely and fresh. Keeping fingers crossed that a CM discount comes up too. Have you tried Hotwire for one of their blind deals?

The big 2!

Today is the day we are going to tackle both Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom! I am going to go against my principles and purchase Genie+ for this day. I am not a fan of Genie+ but with spring break crowds, I'd like to actually experience some attractions instead of waiting in line all day. I haven't bought park tickets or made reservations but the days are wide open. Why are they even doing park reservations? It doesn't seem to be anything about capacity so I really don't get why it is still a thing?

Currently we are planning on starting the day at Hollywood Studios. We will do our best to be at the park by 8:00 at the latest and try to take advantage of the extra 1/2 hr for resort guests. We will make ILLs for Rise and MMRR as much as it pains me to do so. So we will be looking at $80 USD for 2 ILLs and Genie+ for the two of us!! What would we do if it was the whole family???

The plan looks like this....

Rope drop Smugglers Run
ILL for Rise
ILL for MMRR
Lightening Lane for Toy Story Midway Mania
Lightening Lane for Slinky Dog (maybe?)
Frozen show?
Once we hit 11:00 we will start trying to stack Lightening Lanes for Magic Kingdom. Bill doesn't do Tower of Terror or RnRC so those are off the list.

Lunch plans are possibly at Docking Bay 7 OR if we have a big gap between Lightening Lanes, hopping on the SkyLiner to the Riviera to have lunch at Primo Piatto. There are two must try snacks for me..... the Wookie Cookie
AND the 50th anniversary Glimmer Shimmer blondie.....
As well, I've been eyeing the Margarita flight at the HBD lounge. It looks so good!

We are planning on heading back to Old Key West for a bit before our dinner reservations at Steakhouse 71. We went for an early ADR at 5:40 pm and will head to MK via the walking path after dinner. This evening is extra hours for deluxe guests which will currently give us to 11 pm. I am hoping park hours get extended but nothing has been announced as yet. I will try to have rides booked at 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30 if possible. Must do's are...
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder Mountain
Pirates
Splash
as well as People Mover, CoP and the Tiki Room.

We will give Enchantment a try but honestly I am not hoping for much. We will probably try to watch from Fantasyland and avoid the area in front of the castle. Yes, I am still bitter about them taking away my beloved Happily Ever After.

If it seems too tight to have dinner at Steakhouse 71, we may hop over to Geyser Point instead. You know I am always down for time at GP!

In happy news, the Canadian government is looking at removing pre arrival PCR testing for returning to Canada. This would take a huge load off my mind so please cross your fingers!

Coming up next... St Patrick's Day shenanigans!

Your mk extra evening hours plan is basically the same as mine, hehe! Dinner at steakhouse 71, walk over afterward :P

Your plans look great though the whole genie+ LL thing hurts :sad: The cost of those for a family seem outrageous on top of the ticket prices. For UK guests the are offering a "deal" of genie+ for the length of a 14 day ticket at a mere £100 extra :scared1: That's on top of the £469 they're already charging you per ticket and it's an all or nothing, take it for everyone in the family deal from what I can see (not that I have been sitting here pricing out holidays or anything :rotfl:).
Can't wait to hear your plans for St Paddy's Day ☘️:drinking1646966

Sounds like a great day! Remember for the Genie + at MK that you can hold overlapping reservations if you want, and for some rides there will be availability late in the day for immediate return times.

In happy news, the Canadian government is looking at removing pre arrival PCR testing for returning to Canada. This would take a huge load off my mind so please cross your fingers!
I saw this, and I am definitely crossing my fingers!

I've been feeling under the weather the last few days, and although I've had 3 negative rapid tests so far, I'm debating on paying to get a PCR test just in case. I've got a last minute trip planned to AZ at the end of the month, and I don't want to take a PCR test down there and have it come back positive! If I get a PCR test now and it comes back positive, that's okay, because Canada will accept proof of prior infection, as long as it's more than 11 days in the past and you're symptom free. So the countdown is on... if I'm getting the PCR test before I go, it's got to be next week.

Sounds like this will be a busy but fun day!
I tell myself the park reservations are there to help Disney predict crowds and staff the parks accordingly, but I know that's just wishful thinking. As understaffed as the business is at the moment, I don't see how they have much wiggle room in that area.

Genie Plus and ILL can add up quick! Everyone in my family wants to ride Rise since it'll be new to us, but the price is tough for four people. However, I do understand the need for you to purchase them for your park day. With only 2 park days this trip, you really want to utilize your time to the fullest!

Fingers crossed the pre-screening goes away. It takes away so much stress, I have to say. They recently got rid of it in the U.K., and it's eased my mind a lot thinking about my upcoming trips.

AND the 50th anniversary Glimmer Shimmer blondie.....
I tried this and it was really good. I need to try the Wookiee cookie, it is on my list for our April trip.
We will give Enchantment a try but honestly I am not hoping for much. We will probably try to watch from Fantasyland and avoid the area in front of the castle. Yes, I am still bitter about them taking away my beloved Happily Ever After.
I’m glad you are going in with low expectations :rotfl2: It won’t hurt as bad after the show! It is really a one and done for us and we are ✅ now!

Your mk extra evening hours plan is basically the same as mine, hehe! Dinner at steakhouse 71, walk over afterward :P
Nice! I am excited to try this restaurant. :)
Your plans look great though the whole genie+ LL thing hurts :sad: The cost of those for a family seem outrageous on top of the ticket prices. For UK guests the are offering a "deal" of genie+ for the length of a 14 day ticket at a mere £100 extra :scared1: That's on top of the £469 they're already charging you per ticket and it's an all or nothing, take it for everyone in the family deal from what I can see (not that I have been sitting here pricing out holidays or anything :rotfl:).
I hope your long awaited holiday plans come to fruition soon! And even better if our trips overlap and we could meet up!
Sounds like a great day! Remember for the Genie + at MK that you can hold overlapping reservations if you want, and for some rides there will be availability late in the day for immediate return times.
Thank you for this tip! I have a lot to learn about Genie+.
I've been feeling under the weather the last few days, and although I've had 3 negative rapid tests so far, I'm debating on paying to get a PCR test just in case. I've got a last minute trip planned to AZ at the end of the month, and I don't want to take a PCR test down there and have it come back positive! If I get a PCR test now and it comes back positive, that's okay, because Canada will accept proof of prior infection, as long as it's more than 11 days in the past and you're symptom free. So the countdown is on... if I'm getting the PCR test before I go, it's got to be next week.
So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Getting a PCR test is a smart idea.
I tell myself the park reservations are there to help Disney predict crowds and staff the parks accordingly, but I know that's just wishful thinking. As understaffed as the business is at the moment, I don't see how they have much wiggle room in that area.
Same...I know they are struggling with staffing but I just want the reservation system gone. I also want real park hopping back, not this 2:00 nonsense!
Genie Plus and ILL can add up quick! Everyone in my family wants to ride Rise since it'll be new to us, but the price is tough for four people. However, I do understand the need for you to purchase them for your park day. With only 2 park days this trip, you really want to utilize your time to the fullest!
Oh my gosh, so expensive! It was $768 USD for 2 day park hopper tickets for the two of us. Then adding on to the costs with Genie+ and ILLs is just too much!
Fingers crossed the pre-screening goes away. It takes away so much stress, I have to say. They recently got rid of it in the U.K., and it's eased my mind a lot thinking about my upcoming trips.
It's time. Omicron is everywhere. Travel is only contributing to 1% of cases in Canada while community transmission is 99%. Why waste resources testing when Covid is everywhere?
I am sooooo hoping this happens!
Me too!! It would make things SO much easier!
I tried this and it was really good. I need to try the Wookiee cookie, it is on my list for our April trip.
Yum! Glad you loved it. I have many must try treats on my list!
I’m glad you are going in with low expectations :rotfl2: It won’t hurt as bad after the show! It is really a one and done for us and we are ✅ now!
I am sad that this is my mindset but such is the case. :sad2:

It doesn't seem to be anything about capacity so I really don't get why it is still a thing?

It's a stupid thing from a guest perspective, but I bet Disney likes it because it allows THEM to know in advance how many people will be in each park in advance. Unfortunately I bet they like it so much they keep it...but who knows.

So we will be looking at $80 USD for 2 ILLs and Genie+ for the two of us!! What would we do if it was the whole family???

It's insane that if you want to be able to ride your faves you have to shell out so much, or wait forever. It really won't be possible to do all the headliners in one trip until you have a really long trip to be able to rope drop everything...and if you can afford a really long trip...you are spending as much as you would on LL etc...it's really a cash cow....

There are two must try snacks for me..... the Wookie Cookie

This looks really good!

As well, I've been eyeing the Margarita flight at the HBD lounge. It looks so good!

Yum. I'd be up for that!

I hope you are right. I know they said an announcement is coming but...it would not surprise me if the changes don't take effect until after the March spring break season...but I hope I'm wrong. Antigen tests if they change to that would at least be cheaper and results are faster so it would be less hassle to coordinate at least....

Thank you for this tip! I have a lot to learn about Genie+.
Yeah, it seems like there's a lot to know. There are a couple threads here on Disboards, and tons of posts by bloggers.
Just make sure that you're looking at the post-holiday information because I know early on there were some great hacks that Disney has since closed. I'm not sure when the rules changed though.

We are going to be there the same days, with similar plans to yours. We arrive the 14th. Doing AK and EP—staying at AK-KV to try out their DVC, we are then moving to WL-BRV. We are doing MK on Wednesday.

Did you get Space 220 Lounge? 🤔

It's a stupid thing from a guest perspective, but I bet Disney likes it because it allows THEM to know in advance how many people will be in each park in advance. Unfortunately I bet they like it so much they keep it...but who knows.
I hope they get rid of it but I sadly think they will keep it.
It's insane that if you want to be able to ride your faves you have to shell out so much, or wait forever. It really won't be possible to do all the headliners in one trip until you have a really long trip to be able to rope drop everything...and if you can afford a really long trip...you are spending as much as you would on LL etc...it's really a cash cow....
Right??? If we were travelling with the boys it would be an extra $200 per day for Genie+ and ILLs. It's just ridiculous!
I hope you are right. I know they said an announcement is coming but...it would not surprise me if the changes don't take effect until after the March spring break season...but I hope I'm wrong. Antigen tests if they change to that would at least be cheaper and results are faster so it would be less hassle to coordinate at least....
I am on tenterhooks for the official announcement this week!
We are going to be there the same days, with similar plans to yours. We arrive the 14th. Doing AK and EP—staying at AK-KV to try out their DVC, we are then moving to WL-BRV. We are doing MK on Wednesday.

Did you get Space 220 Lounge? 🤔
Welcome and thanks for joining in! We will be in the same parks the same days! I am always up for a Dismeet if our paths cross. :)

Sadly, we didn't get Space 220 Lounge as yet but I have a couple of alerts set on it. How about you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter