Mary Poppins Attraction

What I'd love is something that fronts like a carousel, but then the horses "jump off" into a dark ride, similar to what they do in the jolly holiday scene. (So what we would see from the air is a building with a bit of "carousel" sticking out.) The horses would really be ride vehicles that seat 4 across, but have the outsides carved to look like horses running abreast. The track, of course, would bounce up and down a lot.

By all accounts this will not be a major dark ride. A simple flat ride seems to be the most likely option.

What I'd love is something that fronts like a carousel, but then the horses "jump off" into a dark ride, similar to what they do in the jolly holiday scene. (So what we would see from the air is a building with a bit of "carousel" sticking out.) The horses would really be ride vehicles that seat 4 across, but have the outsides carved to look like horses running abreast. The track, of course, would bounce up and down a lot.

There was a video interview of an imagineer I saw who once pitched exactly this ride. Nowadays it would be easy to do, with a Peter-Pan like ceiling mount for the horses and screens for the penguins scene. To me, if they do any ride other than this, they are missing a big opportunity to really recreate a piece of movie magic.

There's not really enough room there to build anything larger than a low throughput small attraction. For something the scale of Frozen or Pan they're going to need a box area around 150ft across. They don't have that kind of space.

There's not really enough room there to build anything larger than a low throughput small attraction. For something the scale of Frozen or Pan they're going to need a box area around 150ft across. They don't have that kind of space.
They could make room for more if they wanted to. Some of those buildings back there are just cheap one story trailers. They could be moved or consolidated. The backstage roads could be realigned. It wouldn't be that hard to make a great deal more space available.

They could make room for more if they wanted to. Some of those buildings back there are just cheap one story trailers. They could be moved or consolidated. The backstage roads could be realigned. It wouldn't be that hard to make a great deal more space available.
I tend to agree. The fact is, Disney could make room for a dark ride if they wanted to. They could also come up with the finances for it.

If what @rteetz says is true about a flat ride, it truly is a huge missed opportunity. But wouldn't surprise me based on all of their cut backs lately. A carousal would be such a disappointment.

I tend to agree. The fact is, Disney could make room for a dark ride if they wanted to. They could also come up with the finances for it.

If what @rteetz says is true about a flat ride, it truly is a huge missed opportunity. But wouldn't surprise me based on all of their cut backs lately. A carousal would be such a disappointment.
Flat ride doesn’t automatically mean carousel. Alien swirling saucers is considered a flat ride. This wouldn’t be a cutback either this was the plan from the get go.

Call me crazy, but I would actually enjoy a simple, beautifully done carousel. It fits the theme, and is family friendly - all ages can ride it - especially if they have the benches like some do.

Wouldn't this be so incredibly underwhelming? I mean you already have the carousel in Magic Kingdom. I could see it being a secondary attraction within the area though if they had the room.

An alternative is to take the carousel seating styles and merge it with a dark ride track system. It could take you from reality through the sidewalk paintings in to a fairytale work and then back.

Wouldn't this be so incredibly underwhelming? I mean you already have the carousel in Magic Kingdom. I could see it being a secondary attraction within the area though if they had the room.

Only if you think every attraction needs to be a headliner. Epcot is seriously lacking for attractions suitable for very young kids. A modest, kid-friendly attraction is something that park will benefit from.

Only if you think every attraction needs to be a headliner. Epcot is seriously lacking for attractions suitable for very young kids. A modest, kid-friendly attraction is something that park will benefit from.

Yup. And it's a classic ride. Every park we've ever been to, the carousel is always popular, with a wide range of ages riding it. Mine are 12 and 9, and still enjoy it.

Except make it something new. I didn't say it needs to be a headliner but make it something that is actually engaging, creative, and new or reimagined.

I'm sorry....how many boat rides are there in Disney World???

I am sorry but how are the boat rides exactly the same? Its like saying "how many roller coasters are at WDW". The Carousel can be themed for 1900's London but it is going to closely reflect the one already set at Magic Kingdom. Dark and Boat rides are vastly different in everything except the ride mechanism, there is likely a different ride route, various movement mechanisms (up/down/backwards), tons of theming, and typically a story portrayed throughout the ride.

If they did a dark ride but wanted to keep more traditional ride vehicles they could make it an omnimover with a circular loading station themed to a carousel. You sit in the bench style seating with horses in between circling around while your vehicle breaks off from the platform to go through the attraction.

Except make it something new. I didn't say it needs to be a headliner but make it something that is actually engaging, creative, and new or reimagined.

I am sorry but how are the boat rides exactly the same? Its like saying "how many roller coasters are at WDW". The Carousel can be themed for 1900's London but it is going to closely reflect the one already set at Magic Kingdom. Dark and Boat rides are vastly different in everything except the ride mechanism, there is likely a different ride route, various movement mechanisms (up/down/backwards), tons of theming, and typically a story portrayed throughout the ride.
How about "How many Dumbo clones are there in MK alone?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter