May 10, 2008 Ship of Thieves! Stealing the Magic..AGAIN!!! Panama Canal FL to CA!!! Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

That book sounds like a great one. What was the one mentioned earlier in the week about time and travel or something like that? I think it was Nan and Angel who said they loved it but I could be wrong. I just can't seem to ever get the search to work here.

I believe it was "The Time Traveler's Wife" I downloaded it on Audible this week based on everyone's recommendation.

The Time Traveler's Wife. This was actually my pick for my book club awhile back. I love this book, but I have to tell you that quite a few in my book club did not. They claimed it was too difficult to follow/understand or just plain weird. :rolleyes: I must pick strange books because I get that reaction a lot from my book club when I make the selections. They are a rather conservative bunch. :rolleyes: Anyway, I was heartened to hear so many people here said they loved The Time Traveler's Wife.

Confirmed. Sounds like my kind of book.

You and Noel are both making me very hungry! Wow, any great recipes with fresh calamari? Friends just got back from Ensenada and have 50# of squid and they sent me home with some.

1/2 pounds cleaned squid (about 3 pounds whole) tentacles separated from the bodies, rinsed and patted dry
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 new potatoes, cut in 1/2
1 small loaf focaccia bread, sliced
Green and Nicoise olives, pitted and chopped
Essence
Chopped parsley, garnish
Lemon wedges, garnish

Cut the squid bodies along the sides to open flat. With a thin sharp knife, lightly score the insides, being careful not to cut through all the way.

In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add the squid bodies and tentacles, toss to coat, and marinate for 2 hours, refrigerated, turning twice.

Preheat the grill to high heat.

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.

With a pastry brush, lightly coat both sides of the sliced bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the bread on the hot grill and cook until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes. Arrange on a large platter.

Grill the squid, turning until opaque, slightly golden, and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the squid to a cutting board and slice into strips. Slice the tentacles if desired.

Place the squid on top of the grilled bread and top with the chopped olives. Arrange potatoes decoratively around squid. Lightly drizzle with additional extra virgin olive oil as desired, sprinkle with Essence and parsley, and serve with the lemon wedges on the side.

Yield: 4 to 6 appetizer portions

You and Noel are both making me very hungry! Wow, any great recipes with fresh calamari? Friends just got back from Ensenada and have 50# of squid and they sent me home with some.

ingredients
1 1/2 lb cleaned squid
3 lemons
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 lb arugula, coarse stems discarded

Special equipment: 15 to 20 (10- to 12-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in cold water 1 hour preparation
Prepare grill for cooking. If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill.

Rinse squid under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. If squid are large, halve tentacles lengthwise and cut longer ones, if attached, crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Pull off flaps from squid bodies, if attached, and reserve. Cut each squid body lengthwise along "seam" and open flat. Score large squid, including flaps, lengthwise with a sharp knife, making cuts close together (about 1/8 inch apart like ridges on rigatoni) and being careful not to cut through squid, then halve squid bodies crosswise.

Squeeze enough juice from 2 lemons to measure 1/4 cup. Cut remaining whole lemon into wedges.

Whisk together lemon juice, oil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until combined well and transfer 1/4 cup dressing to a large shallow bowl, reserving remainder. Add squid to dressing in shallow bowl, tossing to coat, and marinate at room temperature, turning once, 10 minutes.

Thread 2 skewers through each squid body, near opposite sides of body (to keep squid flat during grilling). Thread all the flaps onto 1 or 2 skewers. Thread all tentacles crosswise (through thickest part) onto skewers, without crowding, letting tentacles dangle. Discard marinade.

When fire is hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 1 to 2 seconds), grill squid on a lightly oiled grill rack, uncovered, turning once, until they just turn opaque, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and remove skewers. Cut squid bodies lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch-thick strips. Halve strips crosswise if using larger squid.

Toss squid with 3 tablespoons reserved dressing and salt and pepper to taste in a clean bowl. Toss arugula in another bowl with just enough of remaining dressing to coat, then season with salt and pepper. Divide arugula among 4 plates and top with squid. Serve with lemon wedges.

Cooks' note:
• Squid can be grilled in a well-seasoned ridged grill pan over high heat. Gourmet, September 2002

I feel horrible, terrible, aweful....I should be in church right now. I would like to be in church right now...but I'm not. I usually go with DD, but since she just got back from Atlantic City this afternoon, she can't make it. DH is tired from the kids being here and disrupting his peace, so he won't go. I can't go alone because I get lost and wander around for a long, long time looking for it....I have done this before. I'm just plain wiped out today too. So, I'll have to say my prayers at home this year and miss the spiritual renewal that I get when I do go.:guilty:

So sorry you could not make it. I lit a large candle for all my family and friends. Church was over at about 2:00, we had a nice little meal at church afterward, and got home at almost 3:00. If the drive were shorter, I would have brought the light to your house.

Parmesan Crusted Calamari Sandwich on Grilled Focaccia
Ingredients

1 Calamari steak, lightly breaded
1 whole egg, beaten
1 oz flour
3 oz Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp clarified butter
Focaccia bread (6 x 6) oiled
2 green leaf lettuce
1 oz alfalfa sprouts
2 tomato (5 X 6) slices
½ Ripe medium California avocado, seeded, peeled and fanned
1 pickle spear
1 raddicchio leaf
1 belgian endive feat
1 oz grilled zucchini, sliced
1 oz grilled yellow squash
tartar Sauce
¼ oz prepared tartar sauce
¼ oz prepared cocktail sauce
freshly grated horseradish to taste

Instructions

Slightly pound calamari. Flour, egg, and dredge in parmesan cheese, making sure cheese coats well. If not, dip in egg and cheese again.
In Teflon sauce pan, heat clarified butter. When hot, briefly saute calamari until brown on both sides.
Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Brush foccacia bread with clarified butter and grill.
Cut on bias giving you a triangle. Grill zucchini and yellow squash ahead and cool.
Assemble sandwich with green leaf, sliced tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, and avocado.
Drizzle tartar sauce on top. Garnish plate and serve.
Tartar Sauce Preparation
Combine all ingredients and mix well.

DH made clams with Linguine, white sauce, butter, garlic, wine, cream... Fresh Clams too!!!

It was OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Of course, the kitchen is anialated (sp?)

Karen

I have to tell you guys, I HATE seafood. Never developed a taste for it. I wish I liked it, but it is just Blech to me. I think it came from when mom would cook squid in the house and the whole house smelled like an open-air fish market - Blech!

If you want more, pm me.

Noel

:surfweb:

Thanks! I think I can cope today. Just a bunch of nose-blowing going on. The cough is almost gone. It's just turned into stuffiness, which I can take Sudafed or Benadryl or Dayquil or something to get through the day.

That's so cute! :thumbsup2

HAPPY EASTER everybody! :goodvibes

Tyler woke me up this morning and told me he sees that the Easter bunny must have put some bunny ears on one of his stuffed animals! So we got up to see what other mischief went on while we were asleep. He saw the bunny made a mess of his carrots we left him, and was amazed by the toothmarks all over the stubs of carrots left on the plate. Then when he saw the empty egg cartons on the table, he knew that crazy bunny must have hidden his eggs all over! Some were inside, some were outside, he had fun finding all of them and enjoyed his basket filled with Spiderman goodies.

I took some more cold meds and convinced him to let me sleep 2 more hours. Off to the shower and then headed out of town. I already warned my dad we're only staying 1 hour because I feel lousy. Plus we have to stop briefly at my mom's to say hi, but then it's back home and hopefully to bed early tonight.

Have a great day everybody!

Of course, Sophia got up at about 8:30 - Amy got up with her as 5.5 hours of sleep is just not enough! Both Easter bunnies were good to her. Over the years, she has gotten used to both an American and Greek Easter bunny! She got some candy, and a new pair of roller blades! She left some carrots out for each, with a note for each.

She also had an egg hunt out in the snow, and Lexi (the dog) found the one egg Sophia missed!

yes, thanks for the reminder about taking time for me. I think from now on when we have "doctor days" I'm going to plan some me time from now on.

When I was taking care of my Dad, I would always take him out to eat after a Doctor's appointment. We would just chat and have a nice afternoon. I spent the last summer with him (from June to September) with him at the Lake Almanor house. All but one of my siblings visited and he was able to do pretty much what he wanted.

thanks and yes, I couldn't not do what I do for her. I know this is my place and if I didn't do it I'd be very unhappy with myself.

My youngest sister did not come to visit my either my mother or dad the last summer or at the holidays before either of them died. I know that will be a source of regret for her for the rest of her life.

I know I have to look at this glass of life as half full instead of half empty. I'm lucky to still have mom here and happy. Most days I'm there, but sometimes it just gets hard to hold it all.

I think what you are doing is teaching your children that taking care of your parents is part of the circle of life.

Thanks all of you for the support and understanding. Your kind words of friendship really do make me feel the :grouphug: from far away.

nite nite and Happy Easter :grouphug: back at ya :goodvibes

Do you guys still have your house at Lake Almanor? I try to spend a good portion of my summer there every year.

I have to tell you guys, I HATE seafood. Never developed a taste for it. I wish I liked it, but it is just Blech to me. I think it came from when mom would cook squid in the house and the whole house smelled like an open-air fish market - Blech!

I don't like the house to smell like a fish market either so I like to cook squid outside on the grill.

LOVED this book...could not put it down...then end will totally throw you off!!
Ok I stayed up late reading and finished the book this morning. OMG - the ending so threw me!! I loved the book though. Now, on to my next read....

We are feeling the same pain with our pool. We have been trying to get it ready for swimming all week and it just won't clean correctly. Shawn has taken apart every possible part on the equipment that he knows how to. The cleaner and filter have been running for two straight days. At least the waterfall works! It has been in the low 90's the last few days and the girl's just want to get in the pool. They have grown tired of going down to Lifetime Fitness to go swimming! Might just have to break down and call someone in.
Bad thing is...when we had pool school....it was only me here, so John has no clue what to do with what. I did take extensive notes though.

Vanessa,

You CAN set the maximum volume on ipods . . . you can even protect it with a combination so that a child cannot modify it.
Thanks --- you'll have to walk me through this. And the girls will probably get one for xmas...

We are :lmao: at that one!

No, Alex is here with us.
:rotfl:
In her mind, anyone with OSU stuff on is related to Sophia!!:rotfl:

V - kids on planes..DGS flew from Phoenix to Portland by himself to hook up with us for cruise in Dec. His mom had gotten lots of books, markers, etc to keep him busy. Well, he used the markers, but not on the books. His hands and arms were completely covered with marker when he got off the plane. :eek: The steward who was assigned to watch him said he hoped HE (the steward) would not get into trouble for that. :lmao: I assured him that no one gets in trouble from Grandmas. ;) Now I had bought colored pencils for the trip to Florida, but alas, he still had those markers Mom sent. :sad2: We did manage to keep them on the paper for the rest of our trip and I made him promise not to write on himself when I put him on the plane home.
We ruled out markers long ago....although they sometimes find where I have hidden them. Hopefully by then they will have grown up a bit more and the excitement of the plane as well as a bag full of new goodies and 17 nights of pure full on go might just equal exhaustion for us all!!

V....I know that most people from here are heading out of the world at the beginning of may, right when my trip starts. When are you heading there? We are at OKW from 5/6-5/13 and VWL from 5/16-5/18. Maybe we will pass while there....:wave2:
We are staying at OKW 5/13-5/19!!! We just miss you at OKW....!

The one thing I cannot eat due to the smell when my Grandma steamed them - brussel sprouts. YUCK! Seafood on the other hand...I love!

Happy Easter everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day! Been very very lazy here....in fact John went back to bed...but his store did a record (in sales) yesterday. He is quite pleased....

The girls had a field day with their baskets...and now I am getting ready to start cooking! Yippee!!

Bad thing is...when we had pool school....it was only me here, so John has no clue what to do with what. I did take extensive notes though.

Yeah, Pool School . . . . . . . everything so simple as they explained it. Who needed notes, they made it soooo simple! :confused3

RodAndTina, Warner Robins, GA
me, Rod, 40's, and DW Tina, 40's
Cat 11
Late dining
20th wedding anniversary is 14 May, this is our celebration cruise!
We are traveling with a group of 6 (us and 4 others) and plan to meet a lot of people on the cruise and do both WDW and DL before/after cruise.
rodandtina@hotmail.com
01/06 East Carribean 7 day on Magic
01/07 West Carribean 7 day on Magic

I only like fish, and only the more usual fish at that!

The one thing I cannot eat due to the smell when my Grandma steamed them - brussel sprouts. YUCK! Seafood on the other hand...I love!
Now, I do love sprouts!:love:

Cat 11
Late dining
We are traveling with a group of 6 (us and 4 others) and plan to meet a lot of people on the cruise and do both WDW and DL before/after cruise.
rodandtina@hotmail.com

Hi there. Welcome. We're a fun group of cruisers here. Check out the first page for some info - unless you have already waded throught the whole thread!!!:)

Cat 11
Late dining
rodandtina@hotmail.com

Welcome aboard!! Check the first page to see if you want to join any of the infamous lists!!

Noel

I only like fish, and only the more usual fish at that!

Now, I do love sprouts!:love:

We love them here also. I steam them for 8 minutes, then drown them in butter mixture and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Noel

We love them here also. I steam them for 8 minutes, then drown them in butter mixture and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Noel

That sounds a great way to try them. I just cook them for 20 minutes, too long for many! They can be served with crispy bacon and chestnuts in butter too - nice at christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter