• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickey’s Toontown to be Reimagined 2023 - Closed beginning March 9, 2022

Kender

DIS Veteran
Just in time for Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse’s birthday this week, we have some exciting news to share about the Disneyland Resort!

An ambitious reimagining of Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland park will debut in early 2023, alongside the new attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. This news was shared today at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo by Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, Josh D’Amaro.

Building on the legacy of Mickey’s Toontown, Imagineers are working to create some all-new experiences so families and young children can have more opportunities to play together inside Disneyland park. The beloved Mickey’s Toontown will transform into a vibrant symphony of sights, sounds, and sensations. Focusing on today’s families with young children, Mickey’s Toontown will feature new play experiences, as well as open, grassy play spaces for everyone to unplug. The land will have landscaping for both spontaneous family play and parental relaxation.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/11/mickeys-toontown-at-disneyland-park-to-be-reimagined-with-new-experiences-and-more-play-and-interactivity-for-young-families-in-2023

Something to note for future planning that Toontown will be closed for most of 2022.

Mickey’s Toontown will close in March of 2022 to begin creating these all-new experiences. We will have lots more detail to share with you in the future, so stay TOONED to the Disney Parks Blog for updates!

EDIT February 17, 2022:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...keys-toontown-at-disneyland-park-begins-soon/

To begin this work, Mickey’s Toontown will be closed beginning March 9, 2022, and will reopen in early 2023, alongside the new attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

Last edited:
Sounds cool - the area could use a refurb. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway is also a great ride and will be a nice addition. They didn't really say anything about the fate of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. I'd hate to see it go, but then again It's not super relevant to today's kids, so I'd get it I guess. Still, I hope it does stick around.

I wonder if this means they are going to demolish the Fantasyland Theater where Mickey and the Magical Map was held. :(
I don't see why they would, because if that was going to be incoprorated into Toontown they'd have to demolish the railroad station and relocate that too.

I wonder if this means they are going to demolish the Fantasyland Theater where Mickey and the Magical Map was held. :(

Man, I love that show so much. I know it was permanently ended, but I hope they put a similarly good show in place there. Some recent PR video though did have the stage and it was all still there, so maybe it could return someday.

I have such childhood nostalgia in Toontown so I love the idea of it getting some love. Looks like from the concept art they're going to keep the style of the buildings but give it a grassy/park atmosphere in areas. Sounds so awesome!

I would think if Roger's Rabbit was on the chopping block (nooooooo!!) they wouldn't have bothered making some of the recent changes with Jessica Rabbit's portrayal.

I don't see why they would, because if that was going to be incoprorated into Toontown they'd have to demolish the railroad station and relocate that too.
Of course it could all change, but in the concept art, it shows the train on the bottom left, so I'd assume the train station would be staying. It shows the grassy area just beyond the train, which I'd assume would be the CenTOONial Park, which the article says will be the first thing guests see as they enter the land.

I'd guess the Fantasyland Theatre would be safe since it's not shown at all in the concept art for this expansion, and I couldn't image the land looping back under the railroad to take up the area where the Fantasyland Theatre would be.

.... Of course, they could have something else planned for the FT that's not related to the reimagining. But that remains to be seen.

I visited Toontown for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago. It hadn't changed since I was a kid and I don't mean that as a compliment.

So glad they're updating for the future and giving families with little kids a place to stretch out and play. Especially since Fantasyland is so dense and compact.

Can't wait!

Might be stating the obvious - I think the most noticeable change is that they're finally ripping out the Jolly Trolley tracks. I think it'll be nice replacing some of that pavement with green space.

Man, I love that show so much. I know it was permanently ended, but I hope they put a similarly good show in place there. Some recent PR video though did have the stage and it was all still there, so maybe it could return someday.
Me too! We loved it! The stage is still there but the entrance and restaurant are all boarded up like they are doing work on it (though I couldn’t see any work being done when we passed through on the train).

Me too! We loved it! The stage is still there but the entrance and restaurant are all boarded up like they are doing work on it (though I couldn’t see any work being done when we passed through on the train).

Yeah, but the stage still hat "the map" and such, which I was surprised by. Like they could just snap theri fingers and open it back up. It was my favorite!

I hope they get rid of the Chip and Dale treehouse or find a way to update/improve it. I was near a little kid who was the target age group and did not like it. I found it a major dissapointment too. You go up a flight of stairs, see a picture of Chip and Dale, and that's it.

It looks like the houses will stay, and I see a roller coaster in the concept art, so I hope they keep the Gadget-themed coaster. I hope they keep the Chip n Dale tree house. We've never been, and I think my kids would love Toontown.

Great news! With the new pavers currently going in out front, the concept art, and the emphasis on green spaces, this seems like a high quality, well thought out upgrade. It’s SO nice to see something like this after what feels like a lot of cost cutting/price increase-type news lately!!

I’m curious what’s in the lower right corner of that concept art. Looks like people are standing around an awning. Maybe it’s just concept art filler, but seeing as how that is kind of a dead end stroller area, it would be interesting if there was something to draw people over there.

But, wow, Toontown closed for most of 2022! I think a lot of guests don’t realize that lots of people actually visit Toontown. It is so often packed, I wonder where all those folks with littles (and strollers) are going to go in the meantime!!!

Great news! With the new pavers currently going in out front, the concept art, and the emphasis on green spaces, this seems like a high quality, well thought out upgrade. It’s SO nice to see something like this after what feels like a lot of cost cutting/price increase-type news lately!!

I’m curious what’s in the lower right corner of that concept art. Looks like people are standing around an awning. Maybe it’s just concept art filler, but seeing as how that is kind of a dead end stroller area, it would be interesting if there was something to draw people over there.

But, wow, Toontown closed for most of 2022! I think a lot of guests don’t realize that lots of people actually visit Toontown. It is so often packed, I wonder where all those folks with littles (and strollers) are going to go in the meantime!!!

I don't know what it's like right now, but when I was there in August, it was DEAD. (At least dead for Disneyland standards.) There were no food stands open and you couldn't go to Mickey & Minnie's houses at that time. So people were basically hopping on and off the rides and getting the heck out. It was almost eerie, honestly!

I'm definitely glad they're doing new stuff with it. I'm a grown adult with no kids, so it's stale to me now, and I tend to only go there if I'm there with someone who has never been to the park before. It will be nice to go back in 2023 with a fresh look and new ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter