Mickey light post directions

My DH did an awesome job and I just could not wait to show it off.

DSC010362.jpg

I'm in the process of making up one of these myself and I was wondering where you find the cross bar for hanging signs, etc.?

Michelle, you're right, DH did an awsome job. He should post his instructions and parts list as well.

I finished ours last night but I ran into a snag. I had purchased a Christmas lamp post kit last Christmas so I wouldn't have to deal with building the post, base, wiring, light socket, globe base, and cross bar. Well, the bulb socket takes a night light bulb. It is shaped like a candle and came with two flickering bulbs. When I read the only material that came with the snap together kit (actually a tag on the plug where the fuse is located) it said to use only 1 watt bulbs equal to the one that came with the kit! My wife had purchased 60 watt clear round chandelier bulbs to light up the lamp but now we can't use them and we leave tomorrow. I don't have time to do a complete re-wire so we will have the dimmest Mickey Light at Ft. Wilderness this weekend!;)

When we get back I'll have to go back to the beginning of this thread and get the parts list and start over.:sad1:

BTW, 1goofy1, your husband did a great job. Hope mine will shine as bright as yours will.

Looks Good!:thumbsup2

Wow that really is a great job...

Wow..that did come out good Michell :thumbsup2
Thank you all. I will let him know.

I'm in the process of making up one of these myself and I was wondering where you find the cross bar for hanging signs, etc.?
I will get with him and get a list of parts.

Michelle, you're right, DH did an awsome job. He should post his instructions and parts list as well.
Thanks

BTW, 1goofy1, your husband did a great job. Hope mine will shine as bright as yours will.
Thanks

:cool1:Tell him Great job

I sure will...Thanks.

I finally found time this past Saturday to finish, almost, my Mickey lamp. I will have to paint the pole and decide on a base but I did outfit it with a 100w CFL and it was plenty bright. So bright in fact that it would be too bright for a campground. I'll have to look into that color changing bulb.

Lamp%201.JPG

Lamp%202.JPG

Without letting my camera adjust for the brightness.
Lamp%203.JPG

Here is a parts list for our Mickey Lamp Post that my DH made. All of our items were purchased at Home Depot. :-)lmao: some assembly required)

2 - 6 In. Opal Acrylic Replacment Globe With Neck - part# CP3086

1 - 12 In. Exterior Opal Post Top Globe Fixture - part# 213-192

1 - Black, 80 In. Aluminum Post Light With Photo Eye - part# CP295-320

1 - Black Contractor Grade Cast Aluminum Pier Base - part# CP349

Clear Silicone - RTV

4 - 1/4 x 20 x 3/4 stainless taper head screws

4 - Wire Nuts (yellow)

4 - 1/4 x 20 Tee nuts

Extention Cord - however length you want

For the Base - 3/4" oak plywood

Later on I will have my DH write up the tools he used and how he put it together.

I've had my version together for a few weeks now. Worked out great, although with a mixture of Canadian and American pieces, it made for some interesting tries at getting things to fit together!

It'll be coming with us in a few weeks, so anyone at FW from July 27 - ~Aug 26 can check it out.

mickey_light.jpg

I've had my version together for a few weeks now. Worked out great, although with a mixture of Canadian and American pieces, it made for some interesting tries at getting things to fit together!

It'll be coming with us in a few weeks, so anyone at FW from July 27 - ~Aug 26 can check it out.

mickey_light.jpg

good job, looks awesome!

We'll be at The Fort the 7th - 14th. We'll have our Mickey light as well but he won't be as dressed up.

Mickey%20Lamp.JPG

I finally got mine together. I used a lamp post from a decorative Christmas lamp post that came with a flickering candle light and a carriage lamp. I removed the candle fixture and replaced the wiring and put in a socket that would hold a conventional light bulb. I then ordered my globes on-line from www.lampglobes.com.

I had read years ago in a "how to draw Mickey Mouse" book that his ears are 3/4 the diameter of his head. To verify this, I measured the ears on our Mickey Chip-n-dip bowls and the ears were approximately 3/4 the diameter of the head so the closest sizes I could find were a 12" and two 8" globes. With shipping that cost about $70. I like these proportions pretty well. With all the parts, globe, and Christmas lamp post, I have about $135 invested...more than I had planned.

I also added a light sensor that would turn the light on at dusk and off at dawn. It was a simple fixture that screwed in under the light bulb into the socket and the bulb would screw into it. This didn't work because the light reflected off the interior of the white globe and caused the sensor to turn the bulb off. It would immediately sense darkness and turn the bulb back on and "see" the light being reflected again and immediately shut the bulb off. Needless to say I had a strobe affect.:rotfl: So I removed it and just plugged it in when we returned to the Airstream and unplugged it when we went to bed.

Sorry, I don't have a picture posted yet to share.

Around the holidays I found light timers that turn on the lights at dusk and then leave them on for a set amount of time. They just plug in with a short cord and then your lights plug into the bottom of the timer. They're rain tight and can be used outdoors. Something similar to the 5th or 6th ones down on this page:
http://www.nextag.com/outdoor-timer/products-html
I keep a couple of them in the camper.

Around the holidays I found light timers that turn on the lights at dusk and then leave them on for a set amount of time. They just plug in with a short cord and then your lights plug into the bottom of the timer.

Home Depot carries a version of this type of timer (click picture)

As does Camping World (click picture)

Thanks Richard, I'll have to look for something like that before we head back down to the Ft. at Christmas week.

Yup, this is definetly what I use too. :) Actually, I use it for all my decorations at my campsite. Cause' I can set it for whatever time dusk is and have it automatically turn off before we go to bed around 11pm. I figure Disney already charges enough money for their sites and the more money I can save them in electricty, hopefully the less their pass on additonal charges to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter