Mickey light post directions

I agree about going slowly. My cordless drill was dead, and instead of waiting for it to charge, I switched the hammer drill over to the regular drill setting. It was way too fast and busted the globe into pieces. Gotta go back to HD sometime.

Yeah, I grabbed the cordless and it was dead. As I looked around the hammer drill was right there, I figured more power more better! WRONG! Oh well, I tend to do that kind of thing. Kinda like Tim the Tool Man Taylor from Home Improvement!:happytv:

This is our post at site 320 last April.

mmlitepost.jpg

We used the hole saw too, just go very slowly.
Looks great!!!! I used a jig saw with a pilot hole on the first one and it was tough and slow to keep it even, hole saw sounds better.

Thanks for the advise. One of the two saws I looked at was for installing recessed lights and it had a grit instead of teeth and the man at HD said to keep it wet so it wouldn't melt the plastic so I decided to go with the regular hole saw.

Has anyone ever taken orders for these? :confused3 I don't think I'll ever get around to making one.:sad1:
Some how I don't think it would turn out as beautiful as some those that have been posted. :thumbsup2

I made one and delivered it to bex in March at the fort, but the shipping would be killer.

For anyone who cares, here is the page I made on how to make them.

Here is the picture of one at the fort.

Sorry the pic is so big, scroll -> to see the lamp post.

fort1%20006.jpg

We are finally getting around to finishing our post...I'll post a pic soon. For those of you who like the color changing bulbs...we finally found them at Wal-Mart. You can have a static light in different colors, flashing colors, or smooth transitions. The bulb was only $7! :thumbsup2

I made one last year and would like to redo the base. Right now I have it on plywood attached by a rubber tube. Can you tell me what you did for the base? I'm thinking about a flower pot. But would like to be able to remove it for traveling.

I have a large bucket that I put a 3inch elbow inside and cut a hole in the side and top for the elbow to stick out. I then filled the remaining void with sandbox sand and sealed the top with boatlife caulking. It has a handle and works very well. I can feed the wire through the elbow and the pole can be removed for storage. Here is a picture.

100_0894-large.jpg

We are finally getting around to finishing our post...I'll post a pic soon. For those of you who like the color changing bulbs...we finally found them at Wal-Mart. You can have a static light in different colors, flashing colors, or smooth transitions. The bulb was only $7! :thumbsup2

I looked at the wal-mart site and could not find those bulbs. Do you have the part # or maker? My wife really wants one.:hippie:

I looked at the wal-mart site and could not find those bulbs. Do you have the part # or maker? My wife really wants one.:hippie:

I couldn't find it at our Walmart either. I'd love to find them before our upcoming trip.:confused3

I have half finished "gluing" the "ears" on mine. I had to prop it against a vertical surface while the silicone dried on the first. My younger son really got into helping so I decided to wait 'till he could help with the final ear.

I am using a Christmas lamp post kit I purchased back at Christmas and just swapping the round globe with the ears for the carriage light lamp cover instead of trying to build the post from scratch so I will have to go to HD tomorrow and get a couple of screws like used to hold ceiling light globes on to secure the Mickey head onto the lamp post.

I'll try and attach photos once I'm finished.

Darn, I threw away the packaging, but the bulb says it by Feit Electric. A19/LED/Party Bulb. I would have never found it if I had not called before hand and the guy told me they had it. It was close to other party bulbs and black light bulbs. Others have said that they found them at Lowes. Our Lowes didn't have it though. :confused3

Good luck finding one! :thumbsup2

I had to pop in and say, WOW! :thumbsup2
I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I started this thread. I'm so glad everyone is having so much fun making the lights. Last July we drove around the loops in our golf cart and didn't see any other Mickey lights. I guess no Disers that week.The Hay ride stopped and checked out our Mickey and Minnie one night!

Continued good fun everyone!:banana:

Darn, I threw away the packaging, but the bulb says it by Feit Electric. A19/LED/Party Bulb. I would have never found it if I had not called before hand and the guy told me they had it. It was close to other party bulbs and black light bulbs. Others have said that they found them at Lowes. Our Lowes didn't have it though. :confused3

Good luck finding one! :thumbsup2

How bright is the lightonce in the globe? We've been using 100 watt on our deck and it lights up nicely. I'm thinking these bulbs don't put out much light

It isn't as bright as I would like it to be, but it really does look cool at night. Honestly, I'm using the post as decoration rather than a light source. ;)

I used a rotory type tool to cut the holes. I bought a regular lamp post tha was a closeout that has an outlet so I am planning on modifing a extension cord to have two male ends and plug it into the outlet also put the post upside down so the outlet is on the bottom. I found the LED bulb at menards but it is not very bright so I am using a green floresent bulb for mine. Thanks for the Idea it has been fun to make so far.

My DH did an awesome job and I just could not wait to show it off.

DSC010362.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter