Mickey light post directions

We used green super-bright LED's. We have 12 in the base and 6 in each ear. They are mounted to plastic discs (think plastic kitty litter jug) :lmao: and hot glued onto the base of each globe. It's really not as bright as I thought it would be when compared to FIL's light, but that's ok, we don't really want it to see by. I just wanted the ears to be lit up too.:thumbsup2

That is an intriguing solution, I'll have to look into it. I would like to get more light into the ears as well and using LEDs would solve the problem of having to replace a bulb. I'm also going to try to find a way to move the CFL higher into the head. HD has an expandable, 6"-14", 1 1/4 adaptor but they want something like $15 for it. I don't think so. Maybe a paper towel tube instead. :idea:

These might work

Bulbs.gif

I saw them on the internet from these guys
http://www.aquariumguys.com/incandescent.html
You should be able to get them from any aquarium shop.
You could install them so the tips are in the ears and the base is in the head.

Just read the first line of my signature.

Really I've been thinking about making one and trying to figure out how to do it. I was replacing an exit sign today which uses similar lamps and it hit me like a ton of bricks. You even have a choice of colors.

Mine puts out more light than is needed, really more than it should our of regard for fellow campers I suppose. I am glad to know that Lowes has those color change bulb. I use my light at home all the time and need it to light up the yard. When I am at FW it can be time for the color changing or maybe the multi-color.

It's funny about the color changing light. I was at Lowes picking up the other supplies I needed for the lamp(I had ordered the globes online). I was wandering through the lighting section and they had one of the bulbs in a display lamp. It was at that point I decided that I needed the color changing bulb.

No, I cut holes for the ears, 4" holes as the small globes have the 4" wide lip. This way the ears would sit flush with the head.
Globes.JPG

Maybe it would be brighter if I use a 100 watt incandescent bulb instead of the smaller CFL. My globe is also bigger so the light has farther to travel to the ears. I'll have to play with it. I like BDR's suggestion though I wonder if the wires would stick out when illuminated from inside. It might be time for another trip to HD, quickly becoming a second home.

I have the same kind of "head" globe. 12" in diameter, but no lip or anything. I can't find anything big enough to use as a base to attach it to the pole. What did you use and where did you find it?

I have the same kind of "head" globe. 12" in diameter, but no lip or anything. I can't find anything big enough to use as a base to attach it to the pole. What did you use and where did you find it?

Take a look back at post #119 on page 8. I think I used a 16" globe for the head but I haven't measured it. I know the ears are 8", according to the sticker. Everything was found at Home Depot. The problem I have to find a solution for is the light sits too low in the base. I need to move it up higher to get more light in the ears. There have been a couple of suggestions made but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

Take a look back at post #119 on page 8. I think I used a 16" globe for the head but I haven't measured it. I know the ears are 8", according to the sticker. Everything was found at Home Depot. The problem I have to find a solution for is the light sits too low in the base. I need to move it up higher to get more light in the ears. There have been a couple of suggestions made but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

The hole in my 12" globe is 5 1/4" in diameter, so the 4" coupler is not big enough, hence my problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

The hole in my 12" globe is 5 1/4" in diameter, so the 4" coupler is not big enough, hence my problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just measured the opening in my globe and it is also 5 1/4". It sits perfectly on the coupler. Take your globe to HD and try it out. I spent so much time in the PVC aisle trying different things that I was getting funny looks. Maybe you will also find something else that meets your needs.

bgula,

I purchased a new 12" globe this past Friday (I thought I had previously purchased a 16" globe, my bad) and I noticed it didn't sit quite right on the 4" coupler. Looking closely I could see that the hole was slightly out of round and about 1/8" larger than the other globe I have. Now I see what you were talking about. Obviously there is no standard hole opening with the globes. I'll have to take the 4" coupler to the globe section and try it out on different globes until I find a good one.

Do most of you paint your post black? I was thinking of painting mine Mickey colors red, yellow & black strips. Would this be to busy? Then I wanted to attach white mickey hands holding the musket mickey sign. Haven't figured this out exactly. Any opinions?

If you look back though this thread you'll see all sorts of decorating ideas. There's even a Pooh lamp.

I wanted hubby to attach a flag bracket to ours, but wasnt sure it would be to top heavy. Has anyone done this???

VACAMP

I finished our lamp post. I hope the picture posted?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter