Mickey light post directions

Ok, I promised a pic of the finished lamp...

Mickey-Lamp-Final.jpg

I like the rustic look of the old feed bucket full of poinsettias. I was just going to bolt the base to the bucket, but I wasn't satisfied with the stability, so I cut a larger plywood base and set the bottomless bucket on top of it. I will paint the ply disc black. One nice thing about using the fernco coupler at the base of the pole is you can correct for unlevel ground. I am still working on the sign that will go on the post, so once I get that done and the base painted I will post a final final pic. I better get busy... time is short!
MickeyLamp-1.png

Looks great--love the poinsettias.:cool1: :cool1:

We'll be in 500 the next week. We leave on Saturday the 6th which is when I think you get there. Maybe next year--

Ok, I promised a pic of the finished lamp...

Mickey-Lamp-Final.jpg

I like the rustic look of the old feed bucket full of poinsettias. I was just going to bolt the base to the bucket, but I wasn't satisfied with the stability, so I cut a larger plywood base and set the bottomless bucket on top of it. I will paint the ply disc black. One nice thing about using the fernco coupler at the base of the pole is you can correct for unlevel ground. I am still working on the sign that will go on the post, so once I get that done and the base painted I will post a final final pic. I better get busy... time is short!
MickeyLamp-1.png

Very nice :thumbsup2

Thanks y'all! This has to be the most affirming group of folks...

I did however get a pic of my finished Mickey Rope Light thingy.

Mickey_Rope_Light.jpg

Shan-man,

Thanks for the idea. I made my own yesterday and got it mounted today. My neighbors love it.

Ears69.jpg
Ears71.jpg

I went to home depot and bought a post light (which had a 12 inch round dome) and 2 6 inch lamp globes, and an aluminum post. I then drilled to holes in the big dome and attached the 2 globes with silicone- fast easy and less than 80 :)

I went to home depot and bought a post light (which had a 12 inch round dome) and 2 6 inch lamp globes, and an aluminum post. I then drilled to holes in the big dome and attached the 2 globes with silicone- fast easy and less than 80 :)

I buy the 16" globe because the ears are too big IMO for a 10" globe. Let me give a tip I learned from somebody at the fort about the ears. Instead of using silicone or glue, get tie straps that are big enough to go around the base of the 6" globe. Use 2 of them. Once you put them on, you put them 180 degrees of each other therefore eliminating adhesives. If say you're large globe ever breaks you can take the ears off and reuse em.

Another tip I found is use a 3.25" holesaw to cut the earholes. Once you have your hole drilled in put the drill on reverse. It won't leave those burn marks like it does in forward. Hope this helps.

I buy the 16" globe because the ears are too big IMO for a 10" globe. Let me give a tip I learned from somebody at the fort about the ears. Instead of using silicone or glue, get tie straps that are big enough to go around the base of the 6" globe. Use 2 of them. Once you put them on, you put them 180 degrees of each other therefore eliminating adhesives. If say you're large globe ever breaks you can take the ears off and reuse em.

Another tip I found is use a 3.25" holesaw to cut the earholes. Once you have your hole drilled in put the drill on reverse. It won't leave those burn marks like it does in forward. Hope this helps.

That wouldn't work well here. We leave ours out on our deck and currently one is leaking and when water gets in there the bulbs keep blowing. The tie straps wouldn't give a waterproof seal.

I have yet to build my Mickey Lamp but I have a lot of experience working with stuff like this. I believe that instead of silicone to seal the ears, a product called Goop would be better. It is a cross between silicone and model cement. It sticks much harder. Not much will actually stick to acrylic but Good does a better job than silicone. It can usually be worked loose if need be.

these are so great!! Maybe one day i'll be a big time camper, and have lots of stuff like that! :O)

I have a small car, that i love the gas mileage by the way, so i'm unable to bring all this wonderful 'decorative' stuff.

But i sure love that you guys do it! That way we can all drive around and say...

OOOOhhhhh
AAhhhhhhh
Look at that....
and that.....

Okay now I want one of those mickey light posts.
I MUST put this on my honey do list. shoot I want for my house! (wonder if the neighbors will care? forget them anyway)

I looked up the proportions of the ears to head size in a "How to draw Disney Characters" instruction book at The World of Disney several years ago. The book said the ears should be 3/4's the diameter of the head. When i got ready to build mine, I used a Disney product (chip-n-dip bowl) as a template. The ears were, you got it, 3/4's the diameter of the head. So I bought a 12" diameter globe for the head and two 8" diameter globes for the ears. The proportions are the best I have seen.

Just MHO.

I think mine turned out pretty well.

P1000985.jpg

Click color changing Mickey below

I just wanted to let y'all know that Adapta Post has gone out of business so if you happen to see their Globe Fitter (CP1721P) for sale anywhere you might want to snap it up! According to my local lighting supplier there are no other manufacturers who make a comparable part. Florida Home Depots had these for $9.49 (sku 348480) and at this point I would gladly pay twice that! My local HD had the small globes on clearance recently, so you may be able to get a bargain on everything Adapta Post.

I just wanted to let y'all know that Adapta Post has gone out of business so if you happen to see their Globe Fitter (CP1721P) for sale anywhere you might want to snap it up! According to my local lighting supplier there are no other manufacturers who make a comparable part. Florida Home Depots had these for $9.49 (sku 348480) and at this point I would gladly pay twice that! My local HD had the small globes on clearance recently, so you may be able to get a bargain on everything Adapta Post.

Shannon, I just left the Orlando Home Depot on Southland, near the Florida Mall. They had at least two dozen Globe Fitters, both black and white.

Anyone who wants to build a lamp had better grab one while you can!

Gary

P.S. - just PM me if you want detailed instructions describing how to build one!

Gary, thanks for the heads-up. I called the store this morning and talked with a fellow who is looking into whether he can get a couple of them to me or not... it doesn't sound very promising, like heaven and hell must be moved for them to ship a purchase or to do a store-to-store transfer. So I'm holding my breath awaiting his verdict. If he can't I guess I'll just have to hope the supply lasts until Christmas (my next trip)... but that means no Mickey lamp for this year's decorations. Ugh! what a PAIN! THD, get it together!

Gary, thanks for the heads-up. I called the store this morning and talked with a fellow who is looking into whether he can get a couple of them to me or not... it doesn't sound very promising, like heaven and hell must be moved for them to ship a purchase or to do a store-to-store transfer. So I'm holding my breath awaiting his verdict. If he can't I guess I'll just have to hope the supply lasts until Christmas (my next trip)... but that means no Mickey lamp for this year's decorations. Ugh! what a PAIN! THD, get it together!

how do I get me one of those Mickey Light posts??

Send a PM to CDNCruiser and ask for directions... his are far and away the best I have seen (apologies to everyone else who has put the time into documenting their procedures).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter