Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party 2009

;) Well I think we are going to take the boat over to Whispering Canyon Cafe and have dinner before the party and before the WCC gets rowdy. The steak we had there last year was terrific--actualy better than the one I ate a Cali Grill. Where will you be dining on Halloween? I am so excited are you going to wear a costume??:cool2:

So far I have no idea where we'll eat that night. I've managed to milk the one night party into a whole little Disney Halloween Vacation at the Pop Century. lol As long as it looks like I can do it when it gets closer. We may just eat at the Pop, depending how we feel that day.

We are so definitely wearing costumes. We always do! It's a must. lol (I don't mean it's mandatory of course - just that it's a must for fun) We also trick-or-treat like mad. We really enjoy ourselves and it's gotten so I can't imagine spending Halloween anywhere else. I'm not sure what we'll go as yet, but I have a tendency to dress as a Vampire(ss). Even last year I was an evil Queen sort of thing, but I had to give it just a touch of Elizabeth Bathory. Some years we do the complimentary face painting, too. It depends on what we're wearing.

We're excited too! We got our tickets in the mail yesterday. :cool1:

We will be there on the 31st! This will be my family's 2nd Trip to Disney World and our FIRST MNSSHP! I had heard from one place that you have to leave the park at close, and then can re enter for the Halloween party. Yet elsewhere it says People with Party Tickets can enter the park as early as 4pm? Anyone know the real lowdown on this? We'll be in the park as soon as it opens that morning, then thought we'd have dinner at Chef Mickey's,then change into costumes and head back to the parks. Does this sound like it will work?

Going on Oct 2nd, the day we arrive in Orlando from Vegas!!!

We will be there on the 31st! This will be my family's 2nd Trip to Disney World and our FIRST MNSSHP! I had heard from one place that you have to leave the park at close, and then can re enter for the Halloween party. Yet elsewhere it says People with Party Tickets can enter the park as early as 4pm? Anyone know the real lowdown on this? We'll be in the park as soon as it opens that morning, then thought we'd have dinner at Chef Mickey's,then change into costumes and head back to the parks. Does this sound like it will work?

Cool, you guys will be there the same night as us. That was one heck of a ticket price, eh? :scared1: lol The official start time is 7pm, however totally at their discretion, they almost always let people in early. Also, in past years when I was there earlier in the day because of having annual passes, I was able to get a bracelet in the alte afternoon/early evening and just stay in the park. If you call they will not be very forthcoming about this. The thing is you can't count on anything like 4, especially since it can vary by the date and Halloween is the biggest night, but generally you can get in earlier. Because of the shops being open later than the park itself, there tends to be some overlap at first. The bracelet they will put on you helps identify you as a guest of the party itself. Once you're able to get one of those, you're in.

Your plan very well may work. What time is your dinner? It can't be too early anyway, I'd think. Congratulations on your first MNSSHP! I'm sure you'll love it. We always do.

Vegasmike, that should be a good date for you. Earlier dates usually don't come with the madhouse crowds the later ones do.

Cool, you guys will be there the same night as us. That was one heck of a ticket price, eh? :scared1: lol The official start time is 7pm, however totally at their discretion, they almost always let people in early. Also, in past years when I was there earlier in the day because of having annual passes, I was able to get a bracelet in the alte afternoon/early evening and just stay in the park. If you call they will not be very forthcoming about this. The thing is you can't count on anything like 4, especially since it can vary by the date and Halloween is the biggest night, but generally you can get in earlier. Because of the shops being open later than the park itself, there tends to be some overlap at first. The bracelet they will put on you helps identify you as a guest of the party itself. Once you're able to get one of those, you're in.

Your plan very well may work. What time is your dinner? It can't be too early anyway, I'd think. Congratulations on your first MNSSHP! I'm sure you'll love it. We always do.

Vegasmike, that should be a good date for you. Earlier dates usually don't come with the madhouse crowds the later ones do.

The PRICE? I nearly choked when I saw the prices! (We are a family of 6!) BUT I had promised the kids, and couldn't go back on that! The day after our MNSSHP, we head to Port Canaveral for our Cruise aboard the Wonder. So much had already been spent on this Trip alone (and our Canadian Dollar being so low since last fall), yes, I nearly choked at the ticket costs. But bit the bullet and are SO excited about the Party! Chef Mickey's is at a Resort. Is there any Recomended Restaurants in MK that will stay open between the end of the park day and start of MNSSHP?

Same here. The price was ack, but I really do enjoy it most when I go on Halloween itself. A couple of times I had to go on other nights and it wasn't what I like best. I have friends that like to go other nights.

It is so cool that you guys are going on the Wonder after that. I'm sure the whole thing was incredibly expensive, but it should be an awesome vacation for you! I did a week on the Disney Magic May 16-23rd and I had a great time.

Yes, Chef Mickey's is at the Contemporary. I've eaten there several times, but only for breakfast, not dinner. It's great that the contemporary is right on the monorail line so you could zip right over to the MK via Monorail if you were already ready. (Not a bad idea because then you'd have pics in your costumes with characters etc.) However, be warned that you cannot drive to the Contemp. for dinner and leave your car there for the party. If you're staying at a resort though, you could get ready, then bus over (requires a transfer at a park, or the TTC in wihch case you could take the monorail from there) have dinner and then easily zip over to the MK.

If you just want to eat at the MK instead, most restaurants should be open. Again, there really isn't any distinction between close of the MK and open for MNSSHP. It really isn't close and open again at all. It's just more like, separate ticket event starting, so get out. lol Ok, obviously it's done far more "Disney" than that. As I said, there is always overlap of guests as well, especially on main street. That being said, I don't see you getting into anything like the Crystal Palace an other table dining restaurants without priority seating reservations, so if you want to do that, once it's the 90 day window, make sure you look into it. Same with Chef Mickey's btw. Always try to book priority seating!

Hope that helps. Really, now that I think about it, if I was booking a character dinner on Halloween, I'd totally want to go in my costumes. Then, when the characters come around to the tables for pics, they would be unique for the Holiday and priceless to me. That's just my thinking of course. You guys have to do what you're comfortable with.

We're not exactly sure what we want to do for dinner that night. I was stuck on Chef Mickey's, but now I"m not so sure. But we have lots of time to decide before our ADR window opens. Starting our countdown chain soon!
Thanks for the info and tips 1littlespark!

No problem. I'm happy to help so if you end up with more questions you'd like answers to from a "guest" standpoint, feel fire away.

What I need to do now is get my act together and get back on my diet so that when it's time to buy costumes again I can hopefully have some decent choices.

My daughter and I have bought Pirates of the Carribean Pattersn and fabric and will attempt to make our own costumes. Dh is actually willing to dress up as a pirate (which is shocking)! He won't dress up for Halloween here, but well, I guess thats the Disney Magic that has him willing to do it there!

Losing weight, I've been on that for months. Hopefully now with the nicer weather here, and the fact that that allows me to get out more often with the kids, which means being more active, I'll see some pounds dropping off soon.

1littlespark, you said I could fire away, so here goes:

Where else in MK have you been to a sit down meal that you found great for the whole family? Doesn't have to be a character meal. We are not interested in the Crystal Palace.
My issue is, we have ONLY this ONE day in MK. When we went 3 years ago, we found it a Whirlwind trip. Never having been before, the sites the sounds, everything was SO new and SO exciting. There are things we missed seeing, never knew about the DIS boards back then, and well, looking back I see how NOT prepared we were, and how to some extent it was so overwhelming, BUT still enjoyable. There are some things that will now have the "Been there done that" aspect to it, so we are willing to skip that this time around, which will give us some time to see things we didn't get to see.
So based on this, this is why I question us leaving the park for dinner (ie:Chef Mickey's), and perhaps staying in the park instead. Will leaving for dinner interfer with Park plans? Will it cut out drastically time for us?
Or is Chef Mickey's REALLY worth it? Are there lockers in MK where we could store our costumes so we don't have to lug them around during the day, or travel back to our Resort (CBBC).
One last question, if you have been to WDW on several occasions at different times of the year. Will the Oct 31st crowds likely be worse, less, the same, as Crowds at the end of April?
We went in April last time.

Thank you SO much for what ever of these you can give an opinion on based on your own experience!;)

Yup, I sure did say fire away and I meant it. The only problem is that most of the time, I am NOT at all good about making a long story short. ;)

The only table dining restaurant we ever ate in the MK was inside Cinderella's Castle. You can still eat there now, but it's become a little bit more of a show dinner with a fixed menu (like choose 1 of a few apps, entrees and desserts. From what I understand, the show involving princesses is quite brief, they don't come around to the tables for pictures and although some people have loved it, I think I've heard more complaints than anything so far. It may take up more time than you're willing to give up. In addition to the that and the Crystal Palace, which you aren't interested in, there's the Liberty Tree Tavern, which has an all you care to eat meal, served family style. This used to be a character dining experience but it isn't any longer. I know you said that isn't a priority, though. There is also Tony's Town Square serving Italian, right up in the front of the park and The Plaza Restaurant basically at the end of main street serving things like burgers and sandwiches. (see menus in the link below)

Now, you visited once before 3 years ago. It is possible you may feel quite whirlwind all over again, especially with 1 day in the MK. I would be prepared for some hefty crowds. I have been to WDW hundreds upon hundreds of times, at all times of the year but crowds can be the strangest thing. It's so hard to say, but I am guessing it won't be any kind of slow day. Last year we stayed at the Caribbean Bch (even though we're locals - and I LOVE that hotel btw) and tried to do the parks in mid-October when it should have been a good time and it was so crowded I couldn't believe it! Halloween Day/Night at the MK tends be be crowded, perhaps because of its' festive feel for the day. My first two trips to WDW back when I was living in NY, I went October 1989 and then May 1992. Not even 2 years in between and I still had that "so much to see, so little time" feeling. Not everyone feels this way, but be prepared that you might. There's that, plus the fact that with children, or even adults, aging a few years can give a different perspective on the parks and alter things that way.

Same thing with the weather. Many Octobers are cooler, but there are years it's hot as, well...thing the Villain in Hercules. :P Of course, I kinda like to try and be prepared as possible for everything when I go there, so nothing gets in the way of the fun. :)

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth... if I had just 1 day in the MK, especially on Halloween, I would probably eat at the quick dining places. It would also save a lot of $$. Most of them have lots of indoor air-conditioned seating where you could sit together as a family but take up a lot less of your time. There is Columbia House for Fish (and a couple of other things), Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (where the Kooky animatronic alien lounge singer croons on stage while you eat lol), serving burgers ckn etc., Pecos Bill's, serving burgers, taco salads etc. and a hand full of others. That being said, I know some families that have a sit-down meal every single night when visiting WDW. That all being said, I know some families that have a sit-down meal every single night when visiting WDW. If this is your family, then by all means pick a table service restaurant. I might have to agree with you though, about not leaving the park. I'm a person who's often happy in the parks with a hot dog from Casey's or a burger, but that's not for everyone. Given the fact that you don't come too often, that you have 1 day in the MK and it's a special day, I'd probably not want to leave. However, since the MK and Contemporary are a quick hop from each other on the Monorail, that's not a bad restaurant to pick, if you are up for leaving the park.

You can find menus to most restaurants here. I am extremely picky so I find that very helpful. Hopefully no one will be bothered with me posting this link:
http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Yes, there are lockers in the MK. When you first walk in under where the train passes right up front there is a large area where you can get them. I'm really not sure how big they are, but if they're soft costumes that fold they'd probably fit.

It's cool that you will try to make your own costumes. I did that one year for Halloween & the Happy Haunts Ball (haunted mansion related special event during Halloween week that lasted only 3 years). I had no idea what I was doing, but it went ok and obviously no one else had my costumes.

I had been doing the dieting thing for months....well far longer than that, really. My vacation derailed me badly! I lose weight excruciatingly slow these days, but it goes on far faster than should be possible, going by the math of calories. I have SERIOUS work to do!

There is one other hint I'll offer, but I'd prefer to PM that.

Thanks 1littlespark, that was very informative and useful! I will have a sit down with the family here, and talk about restaurants. We have a dining plan, so a table service meal is probably what we will want to use, UNLESS, what time does Chef Mickey's open in the morning? Maybe we could do Breakfast there the day day our ship sails. We would want to leave Disney World no later than 9:15. Maybe thats doable, then we just have a quick server meal in MK on Halloween night. Though the Liberty Tree Tavern sounds great too!
I'm not worried about lines for rides ect. We have permission to enter through all Fast pass lanes. So time won't be wasted standing in lines.
The more I think about it though, the more I'm leaning towards staying in the park for dinner.
I'll have to figure out when our ADR window opens up and mark that date on my Calendar, then let my family know, we have to decide somewhat before that date.
Thanks for your help, Oh, and pm me about the other hint you mentioned (regarding weight loss?).

Ah, I didn't think to ask if you had the Disney Dining Plan. Yes, I could see how that much change it and you might want to use a table dining meal you're entitled to.

Now, perhaps I'm biased here, but I think you may have a great idea about having breakfast at CM. I love having breakfast at Chef Mickey's. We've eaten there for more than one Anniversary or birthday of mine. We even had Christmas Day breakfast there with my father one year. In fact, I was supposed to do that on my birthday this year, before we changed our plan to the Disney cruise. I believe they start pretty early.

Ok, I just called the Disney Dining Line to confirm what I thought before I said anything. Seating starts at 7am at Chef Mickeys' for Breakfast. I had been thinking 7. (Not that you'll catch me there at that hour :P)

That's great about the fast pass lanes! That should help quite a bit!

I sent the PM already. It wasn't about dieting (no hint for that, just sucky math basically and "just saying no" to a lot of things lol) It was regarding dining. Something I thought you should know. I'm beginning to wonder if I sent the PM to someone else instead. Oops!

I re-sent it.

Hey. This is my first discussion board, so bear with me! It's also our family's first MNSSHP, so I have about a thousand questions. Lots of them have been answered by other user's posts. I've never been to DW while carrying a bag, and this is my first trip there with kids. I will have three with me at the time and was wondering...what will they do with their bags while on rides? This may be a silly question, but it's the little things that bug me. :P

Also, we will be there on Halloween night. I hear it's more crowded than other nights. Does anyone have any tips that would help as far as using our time wisely that night? For instance, which parade is less crowded?

Hi there! Wow, another MNSSHP first timer! Cool that you're going on Halloween Night, too. As I told tjbaggott, feel free to fire away with the questions.
I haven't been able to think of any rides where you can't have your bags. If it's the sort of thing where you can't just hold it, there is typically a place to stow it in front of you. As long as you know the children can handle holding on to bags all day that I'd say you don't have much to worry about. Also, as we discussed earlier, there are lockers if it comes to that.

I used to go without a bag, purse etc. all the time, or just my small camera case, but now I find myself needing one because I've gotten kinda strict about sunscreen which takes up space. Thankfully the other day I had brought a darker shirt with me too because of the pouring rain! That wouldn't have been very Disney. lol

It's not at all silly. I like to be prepared when I go to WDW so I can really enjoy myself while there. Being prepared means thinking of all those little things beforehand. :)

With the parades...it could go either way. The first one may be more crowded because a lot of people (don't ask me why) leave early. I have a friend who's a few years younger than me, and should be in better shape who tires out early and always leaves, despite the price she paid to be there. As always, during parades can be a good time to get on rides, or even some extra trick-or-treating. You're probably going to want to make sure you really make your way around the entire park for T-o-T, since they stick treat stands all over the place, and also because you may find some surprising characters out that you will not see on regular days. In addition to the decorations that are up for the Halloween "Season" in the MK, there are things that are there only for these parties and they make for some fun in-costume photo ops. There are also other special things going on like extra mini-shows, dance parties around the park for the kids, a possible quick visit from a certain headless visitor, and a special pretty extensive Halloween version of the Wishes fireworks.

Candy stations are fairly easy to identify, by the white lit up round balloons at each one. They say "Goofy's Candy Co." on them now, but the white light is probably what you'd notice first.

Yes, thankfully this should all be listed on the guide maps when we get in to the park.

Thanks! I see some who plan every step of their trip. I'm obsessive about planning, so it's great to have an understanding of what will be going on and which parts will be important and why. We are also going to have the kids in the park during the day, so hopefully they can get rides and things done and just focus on the Halloween atmosphere that night. From what some people have said it will be too hot to wear a costume. Living in south Georgia, I can totally understand that! Kind of disappointing though, would be so cool to dress up. If you have any more tips, I'd really appreciate them. Is there anything we shouldn't waste our time doing? (If such a thing exsists at DW!) Or anything that is an absolute must-do? Thanks again!

I think it's a good idea to get some rides "out of the way" (sounds like a funny way to phrase anything about Disney World lol) beforehand. We do go on some rides & attractions while there, but it would drive me nuts if it was my only chance to do so because there's a lot of more unique things going on.

About the costumes... it is hard to predict what the weather will be like on Halloween, but I would never not wear a costume because of potential heat. We wear costumes every year and that includes my hb who is always too hot. Keep in mind it is at night, too. That helps. Also, not all costumes are hot. Unfortunately, I do tend to pick the ones that are. lol

I personally would not bother going to MNSSHP without wearing a costume however LOTS of people do! Or they just go "festive." Universal's seasonal night festivities don't allow costumes, and that's one reason (i have several) I wouldn't go.

Last year was a warm October and I want to show you what I wore all night and was fine. Especially for 5 hrs. or so on a special occasion. (I'm not a person who's sweating in 70 degrees like some, but I definitely feel the heat. Remember, I'm from NY originally -24 yrs. there)

3613472613_c042bfd83d.jpg

Obviously the decision about costumes has to be yours. It's just that you seemed to express that you'd like to, so I'd hate to see you just give up on that too easily.

Must dos and can miss attractions is such a subjective thing. I'd probably say a few must dos for me in the MK are Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain (when it's open and it won't be) Splash Mountain (when I don't mind getting drenched). I love Mickey's Philharmagic. Big Thunder Mountain is fun. Especially on Halloween, late and in the pouring rain. lol (2007 was an interesting MNSSHP). There are others we like to do there too. Sometimes we purposely do the Jungle Cruise in the dark at MNSSHP and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is fun in general, although I'm terrible at it. lol That's what I can think of offhand. I'm not sure I'm entirely awake yet. ;)

As I said, the answer to your question is incredibly subjective.

Specific questions about attractions (or types of attractions) might make it easier to offer any suggestions. Then maybe we could offer a little more than opinions. My hb and I do pick and choose a lot these days, but when we were newer, like last year when we went to DL for the first time ever, we tried to do everything, even small things, just to see for ourselves what it was like and I'm glad we did. If you have the time I think it's kinda nice to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter