Midwest to ground all MD80's by the fall [MERGED]

Again, they have announced that they are grounding all MD-80s. Those are the planes that fly to Orlando from MKE. The writing is clearly on the wall.

Until I hear from Midwest that my flight has been changed/canceled, I'll continue to think positive. ;)

As of today, it's still on the schedule. ;)

I'm going down Nov. 7 from Milwaukee to Orlando and flying home Fort Lauderdale to Milwaukee Nov. 17. I received an e-mail that there was a change. The only thing I could see was the airplane change from a M80 to M717. We want to get tickets for our dd, she will be attending UW-Green Bay, and I thought it would be better for her to get on at Green Bay, than to drive all the way home. But, now I am waiting.

We changed days, because of a conflict work schedule. They charged me $100 a ticket. It really sucked.

Midwest has cut flights from Milwaukee to Escanaba, Marquette Michigan.

I would check that 7:00 p.m. flight. I received an e-mail for our sons flight. They were flying from Milwaukee to Orlando Nov. 13 and their 6:30 p.m. flight was cancelled. The e-mail didn't say anything, but a week later, I noticed on Midwest's webpage, their flight was cancelled. I called and rebooked them to a 11:50 a.m. flight the same day. The flight attendant had no clue that 6:30 p.m. flights were all cancelled.

Our original flight was to leave MCO at 7pm. About 3 weeks ago they changed it to 7:20pm. That's okay with me! As long as I still have a flight!! ;)

They are grounding all of the MD-80s which means the planes that they use for Orlando. Assume your flights are gone, not that they will just be moved to something that isn't a direct flight.

I think the article in today's paper referring to continuing service to BUSINESS locations has the writing on the wall as being very clear.

The best you can hope for is rebooking on another airline by Midwest, I think. I will test that with Midwest for my October trip that is just me and my DH, but was not willing at all to let control of my family December vacation in the hands of Midwest. I'm waiting on my tickets that I have booked for next March to see what Midwest does for those, too.

Which other airlines would midwest book us on? When do they plan on letting us know, I mean, if they already know that the MD-80's are not going to be used, why are they waiting to tell us that our flights are not happening???:(

Which other airlines would midwest book us on? When do they plan on letting us know, I mean, if they already know that the MD-80's are not going to be used, why are they waiting to tell us that our flights are not happening???:(

I don't know which other airlines. I only know what the newspaper article said. My guess is that from Milwaukee, Air Tran is a substitute. Maybe Northwest if they fly people to Minneapolis first.

They will finish the restructuring and announce officially all the changes to their schedule within 30 days. Personally, I think it is silly to assume there won't be any flights to MCO deleted when Midwest has announced they are getting rid of all MD-80's and they are going to concentrate on their business service market with the 20 remaining 717's (some of those are being grounded, too.) All the positive thinking in the world won't keep a flight in the air that Midwest has essentially announced is already gone.

For me, my December trip is more important than October. And 2 of the 5 tickets I have for December were companion tickets booked with air miles. I don't imagine that Midwest would rebook those "free" tickets for me on another airline anyway. By booking today with Air Tran, I got seats on the flights that I want in December for a reasonable cost. If I wait for Midwest to offer to rebook me, who knows what I'll end up with? All I want from Midwest for my December tickets is my money back. And my miles returned for the companion tickets we won't be using.

I feel for anyone in the airline industry. It's a tough place to be right now and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I can't imagine how Midwest expects their employees to live on the wage cuts they've announced. Amazing.

I also feel sorry for all of their employees in particular and the airline industry people as a whole. Is isn't a pretty sight to be watching an industry tanking like this.

I don't know which other airlines. I only know what the newspaper article said. My guess is that from Milwaukee, Air Tran is a substitute. Maybe Northwest if they fly people to Minneapolis first.

They will finish the restructuring and announce officially all the changes to their schedule within 30 days. Personally, I think it is silly to assume there won't be any flights to MCO deleted when Midwest has announced they are getting rid of all MD-80's and they are going to concentrate on their business service market with the 20 remaining 717's (some of those are being grounded, too.) All the positive thinking in the world won't keep a flight in the air that Midwest has essentially announced is already gone.

For me, my December trip is more important than October. And 2 of the 5 tickets I have for December were companion tickets booked with air miles. I don't imagine that Midwest would rebook those "free" tickets for me on another airline anyway. By booking today with Air Tran, I got seats on the flights that I want in December for a reasonable cost. If I wait for Midwest to offer to rebook me, who knows what I'll end up with? All I want from Midwest for my December tickets is my money back. And my miles returned for the companion tickets we won't be using.

Can I re book on a different airline and ask Midwest for a refund? Or do they have to cancel my flight 1s before I can get my $$ back?

Can I re book on a different airline and ask Midwest for a refund? Or do they have to cancel my flight 1s before I can get my $$ back?

My guess is that you'll have to wait for them to officially cancel your flight before you can get a refund.

My guess is that you'll have to wait for them to officially cancel your flight before you can get a refund.

I agree and I found this via another link here on the dis

may have already been quoted

Are Tickets Still Good?
Midwest Airlines passengers who have bought tickets for trips that later change as a result of the company's restructuring plan have several options, said spokesman Michael Brophy. If there's a schedule or aircraft change, passengers can take the trip if it still fits their plans. If a destination or route is eliminated, airlines have pricing agreements with each other that enable them to rebook passengers on flights to the same destination with certain fare classes. If neither of those options works, passengers can request refunds. Midwest plans changes to its fall schedule, but those are still pending.

I don't know what to do either, I have had our December trip airfare booked since March from MKE to MCO. The AM flight on 12/6 is nearly full and my return flight on 12/14 is over half full! I have called and emailed and no one knows anything, if you are taking the plane out of service doesn't that meen that all the flights on that route are canceld???!!! What are they going to do with the hundreds of people that are already booked for those dates!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know what to do either, I have had our December trip airfare booked since March from MKE to MCO. The AM flight on 12/6 is nearly full and my return flight on 12/14 is over half full! I have called and emailed and no one knows anything, if you are taking the plane out of service doesn't that meen that all the flights on that route are canceld???!!! What are they going to do with the hundreds of people that are already booked for those dates!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Exactly. That's why I rebooked on Air Tran and will hope to get my money back from Midwest when they finally get around to announcing the "official" cancellations.

I agree and I found this via another link here on the dis

may have already been quoted

Are Tickets Still Good?
Midwest Airlines passengers who have bought tickets for trips that later change as a result of the company's restructuring plan have several options, said spokesman Michael Brophy. If there's a schedule or aircraft change, passengers can take the trip if it still fits their plans. If a destination or route is eliminated, airlines have pricing agreements with each other that enable them to rebook passengers on flights to the same destination with certain fare classes. If neither of those options works, passengers can request refunds. Midwest plans changes to its fall schedule, but those are still pending.
This same thing was posted earlier in this thread.

When my original flights were canceled by Midwest, I agreed to change to an earlier departure to get to Orlando and a later departure to get home. At that time, if I didn't want to agree to the flight changes, I could have taken a refund. I had no clue that Midwest would announce soon after that they were dropping the MD-80s or I'd have already taken the refunds on these tickets in the first place. Now that the flights are changing again, even if not "officially" yet, I am banking on them offering the same deal again. Either accept their change to a different flight (and I don't think there will be any) or a different airline or take the refund. I want the refund.

which flight was changed to an 717 plane? Milwaukee to Orlando? Time? That would be encouraging, could mean that they plan to keep at least one 717 going back and forth between Milwaukee and Orlando. The only scheduled 717 that I can find is the one flight a day that goes through Kansas City from Milwaukee to Orlando and vice versa. I can't find any previously scheduled MD-80s that are now 717s.

My flight is on a 717 on Nov. 7, at 11:50 a.m. It used to be a M80. When I received an e -mail last week, that there was a change, this was the only change I could find.

But my boys received an e-mail, and there was no change when we looked at their flight. But 2 weeks later, there outbound flight was cancelled. We were able to book a flight, we had 3 choices, early morning, noon or 3:00 p.m.

My flight is on a 717 on Nov. 7, at 11:50 a.m. It used to be a M80. When I received an e -mail last week, that there was a change, this was the only change I could find.

But my boys received an e-mail, and there was no change when we looked at their flight. But 2 weeks later, there outbound flight was cancelled. We were able to book a flight, we had 3 choices, early morning, noon or 3:00 p.m.

Odd. I just did a search at the Midwest site for that flight on that date and it still shows as an MD80. The seat chart is still for an MD80, too.

The 717's flying on my travel days are completly booked already :(
And all the outbound flights are all on MD80's, it 's the flights home that are on 717's. How is Midwest going to get people to MCO if the MD80 is grounded???

Sorry it is my flight home.
YX 896
Milwaukee
(MKE) Fri, Nov 07
11:50 AM Orlando
(MCO) Fri, Nov 07
03:25 PM Best Care Cuisine 0 M88 View seats

YX 651
Fort Lauderdale
(FLL) Mon, Nov 17
12:35 PM Milwaukee
(MKE) Mon, Nov 17

02:40 PM Best Care Cuisine 0 717 View seats

Are they grounding M88's?

Straight from Midwest website...

Question:I heard the news that Midwest Airlines may be taking its MD-80 series out of service? How does that affect my ticket I already booked with you?
Answer:
We are developing a restructuring plan that addresses the impact that record fuel prices are having on all airlines, including ours. All airlines are either developing a plan like this or will need to in light of high fuel prices, which have now become half of the cost of running an airline.

Midwest is reshaping its network to meet the challenges presented by the high fuel cost environment. No final decisions have been made on future routes or schedules. We will notify customers holding tickets on affected flights and will work to reaccommodate them.

We appreciate your patience while the restructuring plan is finalized. If there is a change that affects your ticket, you will be notified of the change and we will make every effort to reaccommodate you.

Rest assured that we at Midwest Airlines will stay true to our mission of providing superior customer service to key markets through our great people. Travelers can travel with us and book future travel with confidence.

Question:I heard the news that Midwest Airlines may be taking its MD-80 series out of service? How does that affect my ticket I already booked with you?
Answer:
We are developing a restructuring plan that addresses the impact that record fuel prices are having on all airlines, including ours. All airlines are either developing a plan like this or will need to in light of high fuel prices, which have now become half of the cost of running an airline.

Midwest is reshaping its network to meet the challenges presented by the high fuel cost environment. No final decisions have been made on future routes or schedules. We will notify customers holding tickets on affected flights and will work to reaccommodate them.

We appreciate your patience while the restructuring plan is finalized. If there is a change that affects your ticket, you will be notified of the change and we will make every effort to reaccommodate you.

Rest assured that we at Midwest Airlines will stay true to our mission of providing superior customer service to key markets through our great people. Travelers can travel with us and book future travel with confidence.

That makes me feel a whole lot better. Can you imagine working for this company and being told that if you want to stay with us, your pay will be $35,000 instead of $95,000. The airstewardess are already making minimum. Why didn't Midwest sell out to AirTran, when AirTran wanted to buy them. This is ridiculous. I looked at Midwest's Insurance policy, and you can buy their insurance almost right up to when you want to fly.

Answer:

Notice it says reaccomodate you. That could mean on another airline if they aren't flying the MD 80s to Florida anymore. "Making every effort" isn't good enough for me, at least not for my important December family trip. i'm not taking a chance on letting Midwest screw up my trip.

"book with confidence?" What a joke!

That makes me feel a whole lot better. Can you imagine working for this company and being told that if you want to stay with us, your pay will be $35,000 instead of $95,000. The airstewardess are already making minimum. Why didn't Midwest sell out to AirTran, when AirTran wanted to buy them. This is ridiculous. I looked at Midwest's Insurance policy, and you can buy their insurance almost right up to when you want to fly.

The paper said $120,000 down to a range of about $35,000. Can't imagine taking such a cut myself. No way.

I never looked at the insurance policy. I wonder if there's any benefit to it or if we just need to wait for Midwest to officially cancel the flights and offer refunds?

Sorry it is my flight home.
YX 896
Milwaukee
(MKE) Fri, Nov 07
11:50 AM Orlando
(MCO) Fri, Nov 07
03:25 PM Best Care Cuisine 0 M88 View seats

YX 651
Fort Lauderdale
(FLL) Mon, Nov 17
12:35 PM Milwaukee
(MKE) Mon, Nov 17

02:40 PM Best Care Cuisine 0 717 View seats

Are they grounding M88's?
No wonder I couldn't find it, that 717 is from Fort Lauderdale, not Orlando.

I'm not sure what an M88 is. M80 is the only plane listed at seatguru.com for Midwest that is an MD-80. There is no M88 listed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter