Midwest to ground all MD80's by the fall [MERGED]

I suspect that Midwest will still have enough room for all their currently booked passengers, some time during the dates they had originally booked travel. Some of the rescheduling might move some passengers from morning flights to afternoon flights, or vice versa. That, in turn, will prompt some passengers to cancel, and that will open up space for the remaining passengers they will need to accommodate.

I suspect that Midwest will still have enough room for all their currently booked passengers, some time during the dates they had originally booked travel. Some of the rescheduling might move some passengers from morning flights to afternoon flights, or vice versa. That, in turn, will prompt some passengers to cancel, and that will open up space for the remaining passengers they will need to accommodate.

They will have to create new flights that don't currently exist then because there is only one flight per day that flies through Kansas instead of direct flight both to Orlando and back. They can't fit the people from 5 or 6 other direct flights on that one plane through Kansas. I checked for my October dates and the flights through kansas already are almost full, only a handful of seats remain on each.

They will have to create new flights that don't currently exist then because there is only one flight per day that flies through Kansas instead of direct flight both to Orlando and back. They can't fit the people from 5 or 6 other direct flights on that one plane through Kansas. I checked for my October dates and the flights through kansas already are almost full, only a handful of seats remain on each.

A couple of things. If you are going on "seat maps" that's not reliable. I have had seat maps showing nothing open and wound up on an empty plane!:confused3

They may have already "blocked" seats. I will give you an example. A few weeks ago I was going Atlanta to Chicago. Got on the plane and it was cancelled due to weather in Chicago. While waiting to get back off I called my TA. She said EVERY OTHER flight that day was full and we were going to rebook me on the 7 am the next day. Hung up and starated out of the airport. Got a call back from the TA. Delta had apparently "blocked' all the seats on all thier planes that day and had rebooked me on the next one automatically. She couldn't sell it to me because DL was holding everything they had to deal with the 200 of us that were on the cancelled flight. It's possible MidWest had "blocked" some of thier seats for this schedule adjustment.

A couple of things. If you are going on "seat maps" that's not reliable. I have had seat maps showing nothing open and wound up on an empty plane!:confused3

They may have already "blocked" seats. I will give you an example. A few weeks ago I was going Atlanta to Chicago. Got on the plane and it was cancelled due to weather in Chicago. While waiting to get back off I called my TA. She said EVERY OTHER flight that day was full and we were going to rebook me on the 7 am the next day. Hung up and starated out of the airport. Got a call back from the TA. Delta had apparently "blocked' all the seats on all thier planes that day and had rebooked me on the next one automatically. She couldn't sell it to me because DL was holding everything they had to deal with the 200 of us that were on the cancelled flight. It's possible MidWest had "blocked" some of thier seats for this schedule adjustment.
I hope so. But when they canceled the last flight out and the first flight in the other flights weren't automatically affected, there were plenty of empty seats. Each customer had to call in and pick a flight to change to and then move their seats to the new plane. I could watch online as the Midwest rep changed our seats from plane to plane and see the seats pop us as taken as she did so.

They will have to create new flights that don't currently exist then because there is only one flight per day that flies through Kansas instead of direct flight both to Orlando and back. They can't fit the people from 5 or 6 other direct flights on that one plane through Kansas.
I'm sure there will be a few exceptions, but generally I suspect we'll see no flight additions. As Carol suggested, for the most part, between consolidation and folks electing refunds over the proposed changes, there will probably be enough room for all currently-booked passengers.

The only problem is that the seating capacity of the 717 is much less than the MD-80!

I already had to rebook my October and December trips to Orlando because my Midwest flights were canceled.

I called Midwest yesterday because like I said I am trying to up our departure date, and now I don't know what to do... Anyway the lady I spoke with said she had heard they were going to refit the 717 with 2x3 seating like the MD80. Not sure if that is what is true, just what she told me, so that would take care of some of the passenger numbers.

As Carol suggested, for the most part, between consolidation and folks electing refunds over the proposed changes, there will probably be enough room for all currently-booked passengers.

So, what can you do to elect a refund? Even if it is a nonrefundable ticket? I really need to know because we might change carriers and we might fly out of Chicago if they have better times for us.

We will be heading down November 14th - 19th, flying from Green Bay to Milwaukee then on to Orlando, so I will be watching this. Thanks to all who have posted - here's hoping that they will be able to resolve this in the least "painful" way possible to all involved.

I called Midwest yesterday because like I said I am trying to up our departure date, and now I don't know what to do... Anyway the lady I spoke with said she had heard they were going to refit the 717 with 2x3 seating like the MD80. Not sure if that is what is true, just what she told me, so that would take care of some of the passenger numbers.

So, what can you do to elect a refund? Even if it is a nonrefundable ticket? I really need to know because we might change carriers and we might fly out of Chicago if they have better times for us.

You can't do anything to change the ticket and/or get a refund unti they offically change and/or cancel your flight.

If they make a significant change in time they MAY (key word MAY) allow you a refund. (I am not familiar with MidWests policies) Remember that the contract of carriage only says "point A to point B" on your chosen day. Refunds are generally just "goodwill" on the airlines part.

Midwest Airline's threshold is apparently one hour... so if the flight change results in you arriving more than an hour after your original time, they will likely offer you the ability to get a refund. As Carol points out, this isn't something they're obligated to do, but they say they generally will.

Midwest Airline's threshold is apparently one hour... so if the flight change results in you arriving more than an hour after your original time, they will likely offer you the ability to get a refund. As Carol points out, this isn't something they're obligated to do, but they say they generally will.

Instead of a refund do you think they would allow you to switch days without incurring the $100 ticket change fee?

I'm just curious and trying to run the different scenarios through.

Instead of a refund do you think they would allow you to switch days without incurring the $100 ticket change fee?
Assuming they're like most other airlines, if they have another flight to offer you during that day, they'll almost surely make you stick with that day, unless the flight available on the other day is the same price (or less) than your tickets.

Assuming they're like most other airlines, if they have another flight to offer you during that day, they'll almost surely make you stick with that day, unless the flight available on the other day is the same price (or less) than your tickets.

Thanks!

when they canceled my 8am flight home, they gave me the option of taking the last flight out the evening before or the first flight on the day I had the ticket for which doesn't leave until noon (approximately). I took the same day flight that was later than the flight I booked. There would have been no additional charge for me to take the night before.

The problem I see now is that if they don't add flights and they elmininate the MD-80's there is no want that they can fit everyone who already has tickets on all the other flights into one flight a day through Kansas from/to Milwaukee. I know others think it is possible, but these flights are fairly well booked already and you can't fit 4 large planes of people into one smaller plane. Just isn't possible.

Time will tell. Keep in mind that they also could accommodate some passengers on other airlines.

Airlines try to accomodate reasonable requests. A morning flight gets changed to a night flight. It's reasonable to ask to be accomodated on a flight the night before.

One poster wanted to know if they could "leverage" a 10 minute change schedule change. I suspect airlines are going to start clamping down on passengers using schedule changes as an opportunity to make major changes.

You recently posted a link to various CoC. Passengers should follow your suggestion and see what they're entitled. Last time I checked Spirit would offer a refund if the schedule change was as little as 30 (31?) minutes but Allegiant is only required to offer a refund if the day of the flight changes.

Airlines try to accomodate reasonable requests.
Indeed airlines do try to accommodate requests they consider reasonable. Of course, there is sometimes a disparity between what the consumer thinks is reasonable and what the supplier considers reasonable.

You recently posted a link to various CoC.
Yup, and now I can't find the posting. Grrr.

Passengers should follow your suggestion and see what they're entitled.
Absolutely. The easiest way to find your way is to go to Google and enter the name of your airline and the term "Contract of Carriage" in quotes... the term is used by just about every domestic airline out there, exactly as is.

Last time I checked Spirit would offer a refund if the schedule change was as little as 30 (31?) minutes but Allegiant is only required to offer a refund if the day of the flight changes.
Spirit is one of the exceptions: "Customers involved in a Spirit Airlines initiated cancellation or schedule change in excess of 30 minutes will have three (3) options available to them, re-accommodation, future flight credit, or a refund."

The problem I see now is that if they don't add flights and they elmininate the MD-80's there is no want that they can fit everyone who already has tickets on all the other flights into one flight a day through Kansas from/to Milwaukee.

I agree, Inkmahm, and I'm also uneasy. I read a post in today's "NewsWatch" on JSonline that they may also eliminate/phase-out 5 of their 717s. (Together with the MD-80s, this means losing almost half of their fleet.) Supposedly, they are still planning on changing the seats on the 717s, so that will add 11 seats/plane.

I'm not sure if they can simply adjust flight frequency to deal with the loss of so many planes. I would guess that we'll see at least a few destinations dropped - hopefully they'll keep at least a couple of tourist destinations in their restructuring.

If not, maybe they'll be able to accommodate us on connecting flights with NWA...

Everything I read has their west coast flights at the greatest risk of loss. The 717's can't fly from thier hub to the West Coast, but I think they can do the MCO route.

Everything I read has their west coast flights at the greatest risk of loss. The 717's can't fly from thier hub to the West Coast, but I think they can do the MCO route.

Can the 717s make it from Kansas city to the west coast though? I thought they were going to send everyone to the Kansas hub and then west from there.

I agree, Inkmahm, and I'm also uneasy. I read a post in today's "NewsWatch" on JSonline that they may also eliminate/phase-out 5 of their 717s. (Together with the MD-80s, this means losing almost half of their fleet.) Supposedly, they are still planning on changing the seats on the 717s, so that will add 11 seats/plane.

I'm not sure if they can simply adjust flight frequency to deal with the loss of so many planes. I would guess that we'll see at least a few destinations dropped - hopefully they'll keep at least a couple of tourist destinations in their restructuring.

If not, maybe they'll be able to accommodate us on connecting flights with NWA...

Yikes! I can't imagine that they can make it on a fleet just half the size as before. I'm hoping they keep the major cities like Orlando and get rid of smaller cities that they serve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter