Mission Space and Claustrophobia

Thank you, all, for your perspectives. You all have convinced me my brain is right. My heart is sad as I love all things space, but I'd prefer not to scar my kid and fellow riders if we get stuck.

Thank you for starting this thread. I haven't tried Mission Space but figured I would eventually - maybe on our upcoming April trip. I never even considered the potential claustrophobia, which definitely would have been a problem for me. Now I know better and I'll just head to Mexico for another blood orange margarita.

Hi--I've done searches but haven't quite gotten a good sense, so pardon if this is old news:

After getting trapped in an overcrowded elevator a few years ago, I can't shake a little panic when too many people get into an elevator, or when a small airplane sits a long time on the tarmac. This has me concerned about some of the rides, Like Mission Space. How tiny is the space? How hot does it get? My fear is people are sucking up all the air and I can't get out. Things on my barometer of get me the fudgecicles out include very enjoyable Star Tours, not so great waiting closet of Simpsons, heck no to dark tube water slides.

Any insight would be most appreciated (and home remedies, too).

I have similar issues with claustrophobia also originally brought on by an elevator issue (overcrowded elevator dropped several floors while I was on it, then stalled and we had to be rescued by the fire department).

I have done mission space in the past as a teenager and in my early 20s and I didn’t like it but it didn’t bother me either. I did it once after the elevator incident and I spent the whole time worrying that the door to the capsule wouldn’t open (it did). Then, in 2010, my husband and I got stuck on the forbidden journey ride at universal. Hanging for 45 minutes tilted at a 45 degree angle. Ever since, any ride with an over the shoulder harness is a pretty strong no for me. So I haven’t even attempted mission space since.

The last time we were there my sister was with us. I waited with them in line (I think I vaguely promised to “try” to go on it with them) and then when it came time to board I went on first and walked straight through with the people exiting and waited for them at “mission control”. If you’re comfortable with your kiddo riding alone (and your kiddo meets he age requirement to do so) this might be an option for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter