MK rides down today 'cause of computer problems?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I talked to someone at WDW today, and they said that some rides in MK were down because of the computer problems at Disney. Does anyone know which one(s)? I might guess HM-that has a whole computer room to control everything. Anyone?

Park Audio is controlled by computers in the computer center.
Animation is controlled by seperate computer systems in the computer center.
Ride systems are independent for each attraction.

It's possible for multiple attractions to have totally unrelated down-times simultaneously.

(Short answer: I don't know... but it was very likely a coincidence)

Also read that Disney's reservation system was down
due to computer worm (virus).

I know their reservation system was down because I called to see if anything new came open for ASMu or ASMo and they just took my name and number to return my call when the system got fixed. They said it could be a couple of days until it is fixed and also that it is a nationwide worm/virus that is knocking out several companies systems, not just Disney.

The reservation system is defintely back up. People on the resort boards have been making AP reservations this evening. :)

When we went down for our PS at Cape May yesterday, I gave the hostess my name and party size expecting her to find my name on the list of priority seatings. Instead, she said, "Do you have a priority seating?" I thought, "Uh, oh". She told us about the virus...I guess she just had to take our word on the fact that we had a PS.

Late yesterday afternoon, we swung by Test Track one last time to see if the wait time was short enough for one last ride. The digital readout for the standby line said "5 minutes." Cool! Then as we approached the entrance we saw a sign that said something like "25 minute wait from this point." We asked the CM which number to believe and he pointed to the 25-minute sign. He said that the digital readout had been wrong all day due to the virus. So apparently, other systems beyond the reservation system were affected as well.

I don't know if this is related or not, but it appeared that all of the FastPass machines in the MK were down yesterday as well. I don't know if this was simply due to the lower crowds or to some other problem.

A little scary to think that it could effect
so much.
Are the actual rides computer controlled?

FastPass is tied in via modem to the turnstile system, and all of those systems are connected in some way to the information servers like those used to keep track of reservations. The ride systems, however, are independant. It doesn't matter to the Test Track ride system if your ticket has been used in the Epcot turnstiles or what attractions you have active FastPasses for. The FP machines outside of Test Track, however need to know that information.

Park Audio is controlled by computers in the computer center.
Animation is controlled by seperate computer systems in the computer center.

If all the audio is on one computer for a group of rides, and all the animation for that same group of rides is on another, if either one of those systems got infected, then it could be a problem on all the rides controlled by either of those computers.

I don't know if Disney shuts down for those problems. I assume they would, but I was on Splash when neither the sound nor the animation was working. We just kept hearing "Please standby for re-animation", but nothing ever happened, and the ride didn't close.

Just supposing!

Originally posted by SamR
Late yesterday afternoon, we swung by Test Track one last time to see if the wait time was short enough for one last ride. The digital readout for the standby line said "5 minutes." Cool! Then as we approached the entrance we saw a sign that said something like "25 minute wait from this point." We asked the CM which number to believe and he pointed to the 25-minute sign. He said that the digital readout had been wrong all day due to the virus. So apparently, other systems beyond the reservation system were affected as well.

That's very interesting because I've never seen the digital sign at Test Track say less than 20 minutes, even when it was a near walk-on! I didn't think it could say 5 minutes if it wanted to. It must have been really sick. :eek:

Universal? Document that one, please!

There was a worm running around the Internet the other day. It affected a LOT of businesses. It slowed down major parts of the Internet as well.

I would be willing to bet, however, that the computerized ride control systems are on a closed system, not accessable from the outside world.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter