Modifying Existing reservation question

snackyx

Mouseketeer
Question #1: I have a seven night stay booked at the 11 month window for my home resort, and I want to add a few more days on the end of the reservation. I understand I can "modify" the existing reservation online. My question: Do I have to add each additional day as a separate reservation, or do I "re-select" the previous seven day reservation now as an eight day reservation, and repeat the same process the next day when it opens up? I don't want to risk losing the seven days I already have booked.
Question #2: Once a reservation is cancelled online, do the points immediately become available in your account if you are booking something different?
Thanks in advance for any help/clarification/advise.

When you modify you don’t lose the days unless you don’t select them again.

So yes, you will simply change it to the total number of nights you want.

You don’t have to do it daily but can wait for 3 days into what you have booked when the 7 month window opens to pick up the date since you can reserve up to 7 nights.

For example, say you have August 1 to 8 booked. You want Aug 1 to 11. Just go in on January 4th, modify the trip you have, change dates and book Aug 1 to 11.

You can also modify it to another resort and won’t lose what you have for the same dates if it’s not available. Just know that modifying is all or nothing so whatever dates you choose is what the new trip will be for.

if you cancel it outright, then the points go back right away in whatever status they were in the trip.

The modification system online always works by your redoing your entire reservation to accomplish changing anything (the original reservation is always kept until the modified reservation is confirmed. Thus, to add days at 7 months out to an 11-month reservation is done by modifying the entire reservation each time.

An issue is when you can do the modification. The rule was that if you are using another resort's points to add to an 11-month reservation at 7 months out, you could do it only beginning 7-months out from the first day you want to add. To allow a modification earlier than that would give one an unfair advantage at 7-months out over others who do not have a home resort reservation to add on to. In other words , in your case, you would add the nights you want all at once at 7-months out from the first night you want to add.

That is how the system actually used to work and is supposed to work. Some have reported lately that they have been able to modify an 11-month reservation by adding days using points from another resort beginning 7-months out from the original date of arrival that is in in the 11-month reservatoin. So you might make that attemp, which might require a daily modification until you get all the nights you want. Whether DVC has or will wise up and fix that unfair reservation advantage that it created is something I do not know.

If you cancel a reservation online, the points should go back into your account immediately online. A possible exception is cancellation that includes borrowed points which, under the covid rules, get returned to the year from which they were borrowed. That return may not not appear for a week or more.

Last edited:
The modification system online always works by your redoing your entire reservation to accomplish changing anything (the original reservation is always kept until the modified reservation is confirmed. Thus, to add days at 7 months out to an 11-month reservation is done by modifying the entire reservation each time.

An issue is when you can do the modification. The rule was that if you are using another resort's points to add to an 11-month reservation at 7 months out, you could do it only beginning 7-months out from the first day you want to add. To allow a modification earlier than that would give one an unfair advantage at 7-months out over others who do not have a home resort reservation to add on to. In other words , in your case, you would add the nights you want all at once at 7-months out from the first night you want to add.

That is how the system actually used to work and is supposed to work. Some have reported lately that they have been able to modify an 11-month reservation by adding days using points from another resort beginning 7-months out from the original date of arrival that is in in the 11-month reservatoin. So you might make that attemp, which might require a daily modification until you get all the nights you want. Whether DVC has or will wise up and fix that unfair reservation advantage that it created is something I do not know.

If you cancel a reservation online, the points should go back into your account immediately online. A possible exception is cancellation that includes borrowed points which, under the covid rules, get returned to the year from which they were borrowed. That return may not not appear for a week or more.

It has worked for me but only when some of the nights were still available within those first 7 nights.

And, it only pulled banked non home resort points when it did. It would not let me replace home resort with non home resort, during those 7 days, since home resort contract was locked.
At least that is my experience

Unless your reservation is crossing your use year, I've always had to do two reservations for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter