• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

I'm genuinely curious, how did you know the people you saw at Epcot were drunk?

daring each other to dive into the bushes, throwing up in the bushes, loud dares that they can't handle mission space. barely able to walk straight to get the next drink. too drunk to read the sign and asking what alcohol they sell.. Suddenly everyones friend and wants to talk to you and you can smell it.

It's not rampant but when someone has crossed the line, it's very obvious it happened, especially on thrill rides.

1) My personal opinion of booze at MK:
. . . Yipes
. . . Yuck
. . . Blech
. . . Wrong

2) Sure, there are lots of people who want to drink.
3) But, there are so many other places this can be done.
4) They say Walt is not spinning in his grave.
5) Yet, some are now referring to him as "Pinwheel Walt".

Walt is dead. He said no alcohol at the MK well over 50 years ago. He also said a bunch of other things that have been left out. Also for all this "no alcohol" talk that Walt did he sure did make a club with alcohol in it. Basically if you couldn't pay for Club 33 you weren't allowed to drink in his park. So while publicly he said no alcohol because it is a family park it was really about exclusivity. What could you get at Club 33 that you couldn't get anywhere else in Disneyland well alcohol for one. It was a selling point. I'm sure had he lived WDW would have gotten a Club 33 from day 1 as well and it would have had alcohol too. People die and they don't move in their grave after that. We have no way of knowing what Walt would think today especially as society and culture have evolved and changed.

Yes there are other places you can go to have a drink with dinner but honestly I don't want to add the extra 2 hours to a meal simply to get a glass a wine. Some people do leave the MK to get a meal with wine or beer and I would say a large percentage of those groups don't go back into the parks. So instead of being in the parks where they will spend money they are back at their hotel rooms resting or off in the greater Orlando area doing something else. This is a move to keep people in the park.

Last edited:
Walt is dead. He said no alcohol at the MK well over 50 years ago. He also said a bunch of other things that have been left out. Also for all this "no alcohol" talk that Walt did he sure did make a club with alcohol in it. Basically if you couldn't pay for Club 33 you weren't allowed to drink in his park. So while publicly he said no alcohol because it is a family park it was really about exclusivity. What could you get at Club 33 that you couldn't get anywhere else in Disneyland well alcohol for one. It was a selling point. I'm sure had he lived WDW would have gotten a Club 33 from day 1 as well and it would have had alcohol too. People die and they don't move in their grave after that. We have no way of knowing what Walt would think today especially as society and culture have evolved and changed.

This isn't exactly the most accurate of information.

It was only shortly before he died, that he approved alcohol sales at Club 33, and only did so due to exterior pressure to do so. However, it was certainly not accessible to everyone - it was a private club where day guests were not be able to be served - because he didn't want alcohol in the parks.

And no, WDW would not have had alcohol - because he didn't want it there, either. In fact, he shot down St. Louis because of pressure to have beer in the park, hence the decision to build in Orlando.

If the alcohol was just limited to the table service/fine dining restaurants, fine. But unfortunately, it's not (in the other parks at least). And, while for now, it's only going to be TS restaurants in MK, let's face it, this is only the beginning, and the kiosks will come. Much like how it started with only one restaurant, and now it's going to be several. The writing is on the wall unfortunately.

Last edited:
This isn't exactly the most accurate of information.

It was only shortly before he died, that he approved alcohol sales at Club 33, and only did so due to exterior pressure to do so. However, it was certainly not accessible to everyone - it was a private club where day guests were not be able to be served - because he didn't want alcohol in the parks.

And no, WDW would not have had alcohol - because he didn't want it there, either. In fact, he shot down St. Louis because of pressure to have beer in the park, hence the decision to build in Orlando.

He still let it happen though even if they were external pressures. The same pressures would have happened. Again things change and it isn't like they are turning Magic Kingdom into a booze cruise. If me having a glass of wine with my chicken or steak is going to ruin your vacation then that isn't on Disney or on me that's on you to decide to take your money elsewhere. Even at Be Our Guest where they don't really police how much people have you don't see people stumbling out of their wasted. It isn't going to happen at the other places. Plus as it has already been pointed out lots of people who want to experience MK while drunk either drank at the bars on the monorail or just came over from Epcot.

This was also a time where amusement parks that he was trying to not mimic but do them his way had a really bad reputation with drinking and debauchery. I think over time, especially once competition cleaned up and showed that you can get the revenue with alcohol without the negative side of it he would have introduced it in other ways for the revenue stream. I don't think he would like or approve what epcot has become though in this area.

I'm curious how much harder adrs are about to get though.

Dislike. Seriously - can't you have a family vacation (and sorry, while many adults love WDW and go on their own, it was originally created for families, so they should be the primary concern) without alcohol?
Of course you can have a family vacation without alcohol. Simply don't drink it. This is no different than a beach vacation, a cruise, or any other vacation. Alcohol is present. You don't have to partake in the consumption of it.

Thousands of people have family vacations every year and don't consider having alcohol during the vacation something that makes it not be a family vacation.

Walt was not a saint by any stretch of the imagination. He was a smoker who died from lung cancer. He had anti-Semitic leanings. There was blatant racism in Song of the South. He reportedly used the n-word. He also drank. Yes, he was a visionary who created the Disney World concept. He was a businessman. None of us knows what he would have done in 2016.

Every time alcohol is mentioned in relation to the MK (or even bringing up F&W), the pearl-clutching begins. People already "pre-game" and drink before they go to the park, get drinks at places along the monorail and come back in, come from Epcot after drinking and sneak alcohol into the parks.

This won't result in groups of roaming drunks at the MK. People will just be able to have a drink or two with a meal. Even if it is expanded, it's not the end of the world. :face:

I don't know Walt or his history. However, as a businessman I could pretty much guarantee that he would have no problem with alcohol sales in his parks in 2017. Any smart businessman does what's going to make him the most money, and adding alcohol will definitely add money.

I'm bummed that it's just wine and beer. I do like wine and beer, but they bother my allergies. I might pass at MK then. Sometimes cider, white wine, and sparkling wine don't bother me as much though. I think I might have to give in for our next trip though, because crowds are going to be murder the week between xmas and NYE. A little relaxing could go a long way:rolleyes1

I know some people are upset by this. However, there are a lot of things that other people don't enjoy or find distasteful (food wise) that is allowed at WDW, even in MK. For instance, many vegetarians from other countries find the smell of cooked meat or fish to be repulsive, yet you can't find a vegetarian only restaurant in the parks. So, if it bothers you that much, you have to make a decision if it's worth it for you to attend.

I know some people are upset by this.

1) I am one of those individuals.
2) Let's not say upset . . . let's say disappointed.
3) Sure, it brings in BG BUCKS for Disney.
4) But I always thought of Magic Kingdom as a place of fantasy
. . . Where you can take the kids and they see parents don't need booze to have a good time.
. . . I am not saying or even mentioning any thoughts of intoxicated adults.
5) But, I am set in my ways as an old-fashioned-guy at heart.
6) Again, just my personal opinion.

NOTE:
We even enjoy going to our local city's FIRST NIGHT celebrations on New Year's Eve.
They have great entertainment all evening long.
And, they are alcohol/drug free events.

1) I am one of those individuals.
2) Let's not say upset . . . let's say disappointed.
3) Sure, it brings in BG BUCKS for Disney.
4) But I always thought of Magic Kingdom as a place of fantasy
. . . Where you can take the kids and they see parents don't need booze to have a good time.
. . . I am not saying or even mentioning any thoughts of intoxicated adults.
5) But, I am set in my ways as an old-fashioned-guy at heart.
6) Again, just my personal opinion.

NOTE:
We even enjoy going to our local city's FIRST NIGHT celebrations on New Year's Eve.
They have great entertainment all evening long.
And, they are alcohol/drug free events.

I guess I just don't get why "a place of fantasy" means "no alcohol" ... and if you don't want your kids to see you drinking alcohol, then don't drink in front of them - isn't that up to the parents not Disney? Why is alcohol a bad thing? I think there is something to be said for kids seeing adults drink alcohol responsibly and de-mystifying it.

I wasn't someone clamoring for MK to have alcohol but I did enjoy having a glass of wine when we ate dinner at BOG as a properly paired wine enhances the meal.

not to mention all the puking on and off the rides, but seriously , alcahol in the magic kingdom especially , where its geared more for kids , i dont want to see it, and now if you have a teen or preteen that you allowed to go into the parks yourself you have to worry if they will encounter a drunk when your not with them, its a big big mistake i think to allow any alcahol in magic kingdo boo to disneyworld, walt is porberly spinning in his grave , where is his family to stop this madness

not to mention all the puking on and off the rides, but seriously , alcahol in the magic kingdom especially , where its geared more for kids , i dont want to see it, and now if you have a teen or preteen that you allowed to go into the parks yourself you have to worry if they will encounter a drunk when your not with them, its a big big mistake i think to allow any alcahol in magic kingdo boo to disneyworld, walt is porberly spinning in his grave , where is his family to stop this madness
There already is alcohol at MK, at Be Our Guest, during a meal. The alcohol being added is at sit down restaurants during a meal, constituting beer and wine.

It's beer and wine at dinner, I doubt many people are going to be drunk from that. And there already are drunk people in the Magic Kingdom, as they can drink elsewhere and then go to the park or sneak something in.

Just my two cents here...

I guess I don't understand why some demonize all types of alcohol...if you don't drink, or don't WANT to drink, then don't drink. Most drink responsibly, and those that don't should be dealt with quickly and appropriately.

I guess I feel it's better to educate your kids about "_______" (fill in the blank - rudeness, alcohol, pot, cigarettes, sex, foul language, discrimination, bigotry, the list can go on and on...), rather than trying to protect them from ever seeing it at all - shoot just turn on the TV, for heaven's sake.

To have others decide whether or not I should be able to have a drink, even outside of a restaurant, in a vacations spot attended by world-wide guests with different cultures and beliefs, is not only "old fashioned," but somewhat judgemental, just like it would be if you said I couldn't ride Soarin' twice in a row because others may not get to ride it at all.

If I abuse alcohol i and my resulting behavior infringes on others' rights, etc., then shame on me, and by all means, I should be punished. But it's certainly not the fault of having alcohol available - it's my fault for not being an adult and being responsible.

Just my two cents here...

I guess I don't understand why some demonize all types of alcohol...if you don't drink, or don't WANT to drink, then don't drink. Most drink responsibly, and those that don't should be dealt with quickly and appropriately.

I guess I feel it's better to educate your kids about "_______" (fill in the blank - rudeness, alcohol, pot, cigarettes, sex, foul language, discrimination, bigotry, the list can go on and on...), rather than trying to protect them from ever seeing it at all - shoot just turn on the TV, for heaven's sake.

To have others decide whether or not I should be able to have a drink, even outside of a restaurant, in a vacations spot attended by world-wide guests with different cultures and beliefs, is not only "old fashioned," but somewhat judgemental, just like it would be if you said I couldn't ride Soarin' twice in a row because others may not get to ride it at all.

If I abuse alcohol i and my resulting behavior infringes on others' rights, etc., then shame on me, and by all means, I should be punished. But it's certainly not the fault of having alcohol available - it's my fault for not being an adult and being responsible.

You apparently haven't read most of the comments. None of us are demonizing alcohol. In fact, if you go back and read through, you'll see that most of us have said we drink ourselves, and still are not a fan of it. Also, most of us have said - it's not the glass of wine at dinner that bothers us, it's the knowledge that more than likely the kiosks will follow, and THAT, is what we're against. Alcohol isn't inherently evil, but it's something for adults, and it's not something that children necessarily need to see in the most "magical place on earth". You should be able to have fun at MK, without having to walk down Main Street, USA with a beer in hand (which in "real life" would be illegal).

You apparently haven't read most of the comments. None of us are demonizing alcohol. In fact, if you go back and read through, you'll see that most of us have said we drink ourselves, and still are not a fan of it. Also, most of us have said - it's not the glass of wine at dinner that bothers us, it's the knowledge that more than likely the kiosks will follow, and THAT, is what we're against. Alcohol isn't inherently evil, but it's something for adults, and it's not something that children necessarily need to see in the most "magical place on earth". You should be able to have fun at MK, without having to walk down Main Street, USA with a beer in hand (which in "real life" would be illegal).

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. Walking around in "private" property setting with a beer is not necessarily illegal. And in other parts of the world, it is not illegal even on "public" property.

And, yes, I have been reading the comments...and my comments have been about people abusing it, and not being held accountable. I HAVE seen disgusting behavior of even parents with small children in strollers later into the evening at F&W, being loud, obnoxious, foul-mouthed, etc., to the point that MY space and time in the park was marred, and Disney didn't do anything at all about it. (And, yes, we complained). I'm not condoning that kind of behavior by any means. Far from it...I hate being around drunks.

What I am saying is that if I want to enjoy a drink, even outside a restaurant, it is only the owner/management of the property who has the right to say if I can or cannot, as long as I don't abuse the privilege. And whether or not having a drink constitutes having "fun" is another discussion altogether...

It's not the fact that alcohol is available. Most are responsible drinkers. The problem is that if someone is NOT a responsible drinker, it's not dealt with in an appropriate manner - it's a "people problem", and there needs to be repercussions for inappropriate behavior. Deal with the bad behavior and you fix the problem.

I've witnessed someone getting cut off once a few years back at Epcot. I was standing in line at the Canada popcorn stand and there were a few guys who jumped in front of me & were pretty loud. The CM told them she could not serve them. Of course, they were upset & were questioning her about it but I believe she told them if they did not leave, she would have to call security. They finally left & she apologized to me about their rudeness. So, I totally agree with the point that CM's should all be following this practice. I enjoy a few drinks in the parks but am doing nothing more than that & that is what I see the majority of people doing as well. But the few who are obnoxious about it should be dealt with accordingly.

I also agree with others who have said it seems people are more obnoxious in Epcot than anywhere else when they drink due to the drinking around the world mindset.

As far as alcohol in MK is concerned, I don't believe it's been an issue since it's been served at BOG for dinner so I don't see the concern with it being served at more TS locations. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this because I've never dined at BOG for dinner but I remember reading that it would be capped off at 2 drinks per guest back when it was first announced? I wonder if this would be true for the rest of them as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter