More Marvel at Disney

Okay, still though, from what I have heard while WDI is very creative, they like to over spend as well. Yes?
Your point in the response I quoted was that Management is making choices due to cost instead of creativity, and I am merely pointing out that part of that is due to the extremely high costs WDI is running
Correct basically from its inception WDI has gone over budget on most things. WDI certainly could do better on the cost front but management could also do better than only letting them create a Spidey version of Toy Story Mania. Obviously the finished product hasn’t been seen but that’s what it looks like.

yes, WDI does command high budgets for what they do. People often reference Joe Rohde's travels to Nepal to do research for Expedition:Everest. Don't know how much all of that cost, but we still got A BIRD ON A STICK in the ride (not seen now, but used to be there where the coaster stopped before it went backwards)

I don't mind WDI spending money, just don't always believe it's spent wisely.

Watch Disney buy Universal, solves that problem. ;)
I'm always amazed how all-powerful people think Disney is. People seem to think they can buy whatever they want. Warner Bros. Is owned by AT&T and auUniversal is owned by Comcast.

Just let that sink in for awhile.

LOL

RIght now yes they can't, but nobody thought Disney could buy Fox 10-15 years ago. Disney will most likely look to buy Sony Pictures first though as they are looking to divest. Once Solo 2 breaks even.

RIght now yes they can't, but nobody thought Disney could buy Fox 10-15 years ago. Disney will most likely look to buy Sony Pictures first though as they are looking to divest. Once Solo 2 breaks even.

Then you're gonna have to wait a looooooong time.

The Marvel rights that Universal owns are not worth anywhere near what some people think. Right now Universal has Marvel rides in 2 resorts, Osaka and Orlando and before too much longer they lose Osaka. Disney will soon have Marvel rides in Orlando, California, Paris, Hong Kong. Tokyo and Shanghai. Then, they will be adding at least one more resort elsewhere in China and others around the world. Best of all there will a connected theme to all parks. So why would Universal want to continue to spend the amount of money needed to keep the few rides they have in Orlando up to the level of HP? The world knows Marvel is Disney's and if you want to experience lots of Marvel rides and attractions Disney's parks are where to go starting in the 2020s.

The Marvel rights that Universal owns are not worth anywhere near what some people think. Right now Universal has Marvel rides in 2 resorts, Osaka and Orlando and before too much longer they lose Osaka. Disney will soon have Marvel rides in Orlando, California, Paris, Hong Kong. Tokyo and Shanghai. Then, they will be adding at least one more resort elsewhere in China and others around the world. Best of all there will a connected theme to all parks. So why would Universal want to continue to spend the amount of money needed to keep the few rides they have in Orlando up to the level of HP? The world knows Marvel is Disney's and if you want to experience lots of Marvel rides and attractions Disney's parks are where to go starting in the 2020s.

They don't need to keep the rides up the level of HP, they just have to properly maintain them. If Universal got rid of Marvel they would likely have to pay a much higher licensing fee to get a IP that is no where near as popular as Marvel is right now. Keep the rights is just a no brainer, at least until the popularity of Marvel starts to wane.

They don't need to keep the rides up the level of HP, they just have to properly maintain them. If Universal got rid of Marvel they would likely have to pay a much higher licensing fee to get a IP that is no where near as popular as Marvel is right now. Keep the rights is just a no brainer, at least until the popularity of Marvel starts to wane.
Plus it blocks their biggest competitor from using their biggest franchise.

I really liked Solo...but it lost a ton of money. It lost so much that Kathleen Kennedy announced the other day that there will be no more spin-off and/or standalone Star Wars films.

Actually, I think the intent was not to do "Solo 2" but rather to do the Boba Fett movie which would tie into the same "world" with the gangsters and picking up on some of the threads. It wouldn't have been a straight sequel. That movie sounded like it had promise, so it's too bad it is unlikely to happen now.

Actually, I think the intent was not to do "Solo 2" but rather to do the Boba Fett movie which would tie into the same "world" with the gangsters and picking up on some of the threads. It wouldn't have been a straight sequel. That movie sounded like it had promise, so it's too bad it is unlikely to happen now.

Understood. I was just pointing out that it was Solo's box office failure that made Disney reconsider doing any more stand-alone and/or spinoff films. Boba fett is collateral damage. Add to that the steep dive in box office that The Last Jedi suffered compared to The Force Awakens and Disney is, understandably, reassessing where they go from here.

Having said that...if Solo had been a success I'm sure we would have gotten a "Solo 2" as well as a Boba Fett film.

If you were right, why did they rebuild Hulk and upgrade Spiderman? The contract requires the attractions be kept first rate. The reason in case you are wondering is Disney, i.e. Marvel, told them to. Universal will have to continue spending on upgrades or they lose the rights and get nothing. Those are the terms of the contract.

Understood. I was just pointing out that it was Solo's box office failure that made Disney reconsider doing any more stand-alone and/or spinoff films. Boba fett is collateral damage. Add to that the steep dive in box office that The Last Jedi suffered compared to The Force Awakens and Disney is, understandably, reassessing where they go from here.

Having said that...if Solo had been a success I'm sure we would have gotten a "Solo 2" as well as a Boba Fett film.

Oh, definitely. I was just commenting on all the "make Solo 2" talk. I don't think they ever intended to, but that they would pick up on threads from the movie in other projects. Those projects are now pretty much scrapped due to the performance of Solo.

If you were right, why did they rebuild Hulk and upgrade Spiderman? The contract requires the attractions be kept first rate. The reason in case you are wondering is Disney, i.e. Marvel, told them to. Universal will have to continue spending on upgrades or they lose the rights and get nothing. Those are the terms of the contract.

Why does any ride get a refresh, because they want to keep it fresh. The contract only requires that they properly maintain the rides, it says nothing about having to update them. If that was the case then Disney would have contested the contract already over the Storm and Doctor Doom rides since neither of these is anywhere near close to a cutting edge attraction.

WDW could add in a few more Marvel properties but won't be as strong as their other parks as Universal has a lock on most o their biggest characters right now. Guardians is the main one with a big draw right now that they can use so not surprised that's the one going in now. Maybe after Phase 4 they will have some more options with strong potential after some of their movies like Shang Chi and Eternals.

As far as the Solo 2 side of things, I really don't care that much about a direct sequel to it but would love a move that worked off from it and focused on the criminal underworld more and expanded on Red Dawn and continued Qi'ra and Maul's story. That was the most intriguing part of the movie to me.

from page 7 of the contract

Once THE MARVEL UNIVERSE opens within the above time period, the term of this agreement shall continue for so long as a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall remain open (and operated consistent with the standards of the next paragraph below) at any Universal Theme Park (allowing for temporary closures for force majeure events or refurbishment/maintenance provided they are being diligently pursued), except for termination for material breach (with written notice and a reasonable opportunity to cure).
Each THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall be operated and maintained in a first class manner consistent with the highest standards of the theme park industry and shall be deemed “open” only when operated in such manner (subject to temporary closures for force majeure events as described in the prior paragraph).

HP is the first class standard at Universal. Therefore it is the required standard.

just out of curiosity, does anyone know (of course some of you do :)) how all of this applies to the X-Men franchise? I know that Wolverine was one of the original Avengers (although I haven't seen him in that role in a long time). Can Disney use the X-Men or are they also a no-no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter