Moving to Melbourne, Florida

This has been the case for everyone I know that has a pool. I grew up in NC, but we had an inground pool. Our family used it constantly the first 3 summers. After that, we mostly used it, when we had friends over. That was fairly frequent, because we had the only pool in the area. It almost became a burden, because my sister closest to my age & I would have to spend the day in the pool anytime anyone in the neighborhood wanted to come over to swim. (I'm a Southerner, we're not good at saying no. :p) After we all moved out, my parents filled the pool with dirt. It became part of the yard. DH, DS & I have lived in 3 communities that had community pools. When we used the pool, we were usually alone. The only time it was ever crowded was when a resident had a pool party. We know several people that spend a lot of money maintaining their pool, just to keep it looking nice. They rarely use it.

OP, I can understand really wanting a pool. We couldn't wait to get our pool, when I was growing up. IME, the odds of not getting tired of it are very low. Knowing what I do, I would never buy a home with a pool, unless I planned to sell it in a couple of years. People aren't trying to be negative. They're just speaking from experience. A community pool is a nice option though.

As far as salt water pools go, my only experience with them is on cruise ships. You couldn't give me a salt water pool. I won't use them. You have the burning eyes, without the advantage of being in the ocean. Admittedly, people with more experience could offer better advice on that.
We’re going down to look at houses next weekend with my parents. I’m keeping my options open for now. If we find a house that we absolutely love and it has a pool we’ll probably still give an offer. If it’s a house that’s just okay we won’t consider it. I appreciate everyone's first hand experiences here since we don’t know what it’s like having one.

We have a pool with an enclosure. It is not salt. We have a weekly pool service. I still spend quite a lot of time scooping it or putting in water or taking out water.

I would never have a pool in Florida without an enclosure. I don't want to be scooping frogs and bugs out of the pool. We still get lizards even with the enclosure. I wouldn't be able to use it at night without the enclosure because I am a mosquito magnet.

There are three of us living together. I am the only one to use the pool. They said they'd use it when we built the house. It hasn't turned out that way. I'm not sure It was worth the money.

Under the building codes, we had to have an alarm installed on the door leading to the lanai and alarms on every window along the back of the house. We couldn't close without them. Since we have no small children, we've since disconnected them. If we every sell, we will have to have them reconnected.

I would never have a pool if I had small children or little ones who visit. Child drownings are a regular thing reported on local news in Florida. Having a pool would not be worth the risk for me.

We have a pool with an enclosure. It is not salt. We have a weekly pool service. I still spend quite a lot of time scooping it or putting in water or taking out water.

I would never have a pool in Florida without an enclosure. I don't want to be scooping frogs and bugs out of the pool. We still get lizards even with the enclosure. I wouldn't be able to use it at night without the enclosure because I am a mosquito magnet.

There are three of us living together. I am the only one to use the pool. They said they'd use it when we built the house. It hasn't turned out that way. I'm not sure It was worth the money.

Under the building codes, we had to have an alarm installed on the door leading to the lanai and alarms on every window along the back of the house. We couldn't close without them. Since we have no small children, we've since disconnected them. If we every sell, we will have to have them reconnected.

I would never have a pool if I had small children or little ones who visit. Child drownings are a regular thing reported on local news in Florida. Having a pool would not be worth the risk for me.
Thanks for all of the info. Right now, neither of us wants a pool, but we agreed that if we find a house that we love and it has a pool we would think about it. Dh isn't much of a swimmer, which is ironic because he grew up doing swim team. I could honestly see myself in the pool daily, though. I'm a substitute teacher and don't work every day so I could be at home cleaning it out and using it during the day. We ultimately would prefer a neighborhood pool instead, though. Hopefully, we find some good houses this coming weekend!

I have to admit, I’m kind of nervous about the whole hurricane thing. I’m really hoping we get a house with a generator ready to go/installed and high impact windows. Putting shutters up every time seems like a pain. The lady showing us around today said she stays unless it’s a Cat 3 and if it’s turning this direction she leaves.

I have to admit, I’m kind of nervous about the whole hurricane thing.
Can't blame you. After 25 years in Central Florida, we're moving out of state soon and having gone through several serious hurricanes, as a home owner I certainly will not miss that part of Florida living.

Can't blame you. After 25 years in Central Florida, we're moving out of state soon and having gone through several serious hurricanes, as a home owner I certainly will not miss that part of Florida living.
I can’t say I’m gonna miss the ice and snow though because our winter this year was horrible. I went in the ditch in my car because I spun out on the highway. It snowed yesterday and that’s just ridiculous. I’m very happy to be moving to Florida. There’s always gonna be some kind of weather wherever you move. We just have to make sure we decide to stay or go as early as we can.

We looked at around 16 houses today and it was a very productive day of house hunting! We found one we absolutely love. It’s at the very top of our budget but it’s completely move in ready. I’d rather have that than pay less and have to do work. We’d like to move down and not worry about anything. We may make an offer on it tomorrow after we get more info on the house.

I feel MUCH better about the hurricane situation. This area of Florida doesn’t get nearly as much damage as other parts of Florida. The realtor really talked us through the whole situation and made us feel a lot better about everything. Every house we’ve seen has hurricane shutters included and some have high impact windows/doors on parts of the house. We would probably just purchase a small generator instead of a whole house one, but I feel so much better about the whole thing.

We moved to SW FL almost two years ago, six weeks before Hurricane Irma made landfall a few miles from our house. Our screened lanai was original to the house (17 yrs old) and most of the screens blew out so we had to replace them. It cost us about $4000 to have the pool enclosure returned to new. Our two cats love going out onto the lanai since they can't get out by themselves. They are both indoor cats and the one was rescued when he was outside wandering around. So he knows the outside and loves going out on the lanai. The other was born in captivity and he thinks it is just another room in the house. The screen keeps bugs and birds out, as well as trash from trees and bushes. When the temperature is really nice, we can leave the sliders open if we want to. We replaced the pool heater about the same time we replaced the screening of the pool enclosure since it will get a bit cool during winter months and my husband likes to enjoy the pool year round. We also have a pool cover that we put on at night when we have the heater working. We shut the heater off at the beginning of April and will probably turn it back on around Nov or Dec. Since we're not using AC or heat during those months, there is very little difference in our bills.

We also replaced the windows and front door on the front of our house with Miami/Dade windows and installed shutters on the rest of the windows and doors. Two of the large sliders to the lanai and one large window have powered shutters (just press a button and they close). One larger slider had to have accordion shutters since powered shutters just didn't work there. They are very easy to close. We have one window (bathroom window) that is narrow and high and we'll need a ladder to close them. We are happy with the shutters and they are easy to operate.

We don't have a generator on our house. We'd have to get a propane tank since we don't have piped natural gas on our island. We live on a barrier island. Our flood insurance here is a lot less than it was in NW Louisiana when we lived there. We got flooded twice. We got zero water in our house with Irma.

We moved to SW FL almost two years ago, six weeks before Hurricane Irma made landfall a few miles from our house. Our screened lanai was original to the house (17 yrs old) and most of the screens blew out so we had to replace them. It cost us about $4000 to have the pool enclosure returned to new. Our two cats love going out onto the lanai since they can't get out by themselves. They are both indoor cats and the one was rescued when he was outside wandering around. So he knows the outside and loves going out on the lanai. The other was born in captivity and he thinks it is just another room in the house. The screen keeps bugs and birds out, as well as trash from trees and bushes. When the temperature is really nice, we can leave the sliders open if we want to. We replaced the pool heater about the same time we replaced the screening of the pool enclosure since it will get a bit cool during winter months and my husband likes to enjoy the pool year round. We also have a pool cover that we put on at night when we have the heater working. We shut the heater off at the beginning of April and will probably turn it back on around Nov or Dec. Since we're not using AC or heat during those months, there is very little difference in our bills.

We also replaced the windows and front door on the front of our house with Miami/Dade windows and installed shutters on the rest of the windows and doors. Two of the large sliders to the lanai and one large window have powered shutters (just press a button and they close). One larger slider had to have accordion shutters since powered shutters just didn't work there. They are very easy to close. We have one window (bathroom window) that is narrow and high and we'll need a ladder to close them. We are happy with the shutters and they are easy to operate.

We don't have a generator on our house. We'd have to get a propane tank since we don't have piped natural gas on our island. We live on a barrier island. Our flood insurance here is a lot less than it was in NW Louisiana when we lived there. We got flooded twice. We got zero water in our house with Irma.
Thanks for your input. We would be on opposite sides of the state but I like seeing other people’s thoughts on the matter. We have two cats also and I’m so excited to have them out in the lanai. Do you give yours flea and tick meds? Our cats currently don’t get that because they never go anywhere close to being outside, but with the screen I figured it’s possible they might need the meds. What do you think?

The house we like most does have a pool and a heated one at that so it was great reading your thoughts about that. They said they would include all of the pool equipment so that is nice. I’m not sure they have a pool cover for the heat so that might be something we buy.

The windows and doors on the front of this house are all high impact because they have to be. The builders are making all of their houses like that now. There is no upstairs or high windows so no shutters to worry about there. The shutters that are included are panels unfortunately, not powered but it sounds like they rarely have to put them on. I was worried it was like multiple times a year but they said sometimes they don’t even have to some years.

The stove at this house has 6 gas burners so that’s helpful I think. I haven’t looked to hard at flood insurance because it’s not in a flood zone but I’ll have to take a look.

My cats are not on any meds for fleas and ticks. My dog is on Sentinel, so I don't worry about fleas and ticks for her. Our yard is small and is treated for pests every other month (roaches, ants, etc) so that may also take care of any fleas and ticks in the grass. We do have a pool service to vacuum, skim, test the water every week. That runs us $95 a month. And our pool water looks wonderful.

My cats are not on any meds for fleas and ticks. My dog is on Sentinel, so I don't worry about fleas and ticks for her. Our yard is small and is treated for pests every other month (roaches, ants, etc) so that may also take care of any fleas and ticks in the grass. We do have a pool service to vacuum, skim, test the water every week. That runs us $95 a month. And our pool water looks wonderful.
I’ll have to ask the current owner if they do pest treatments because that would be good to know. I think they do the pool cleaning themselves but that’s another thing to ask.

Thank you! I never would’ve guessed Dh and I would be here at this point in our lives
Welcome to my home state!! Those panels can be a beast to put up in the heat so you may want to think about putting on shutters in the future. A lot of pool owners use pinch a penny to clean their pools.

Hope you enjoy your new home!

Welcome to my home state!! Those panels can be a beast to put up in the heat so you may want to think about putting on shutters in the future. A lot of pool owners use pinch a penny to clean their pools.

Hope you enjoy your new home!
Thanks! We’re excited to come join you!

The panels will be a pain but not all of the windows need them. The front of the house is all high impact so that helps. It sounds like this area doesn’t put panels up that often because of where they’re located

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter