Moving to Orlando- I'm almost there! Update 1/4 Arrival

I've lived in central Florida for almost 20 years. This current market is, by far, a feeding frenzy for those trying to buy a home. My realtor (whom I used to purchase an investment/build lot) tells me that homes are rarely on the market for more than a few days. Personally, I am glad to not be so close to WDW to experience the traffic, yet still be within easy commuting distance to make it a comfortable day trip. Once the novelty of the theme parks wore off, it just reiterated our decision to stay at arms length away from the masses.

Well all...it's been a long time.

Lots of exhausting things have happened since I last posted.

Let's do the play by play....

We did a virtual tour of a house and it ended up being a really nice house, no fencing in yard, but it was really, really nice. We decided to put a bid in. Ended up winning it, though when our realtor called to tell us he also told us that our number one favorite house was now being offered to us. The previous winners apparently did not read the contract and didn't realize there was a septic tank and that was a hard no for them.

So now we had two houses to choose from. They were about the same price and were both very nice. We spent the night agonizing over the choice and in the morning ended up going with the dream house that has 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, a screened in pool, and a big fenced yard that even had a mango tree.

Closing was for just a few days after our apartment lease ran out so it worked nicely.

We figured one of us should actually see the house before we committed to such a large purchase. Last minute plane tickets were a lot of money so we only got a ticket for Brian to go.

He flew in the day before the inspection and was able to check out the house while the inspection was happening. He liked it a lot and said it was very nice. The inspection actually found very few problems so that was also good.

Nov 14 was getting closer so we finalized our moving plans and kept packing boxes.

Nov 13 (Friday) we had a few friends come over to help us load the bigger items into the truck. Loading took a bit longer than we thought so we got a later start on Saturday than we wanted.

Almost done!

Seriously though, we were exhausted. Packing the truck took longer than we thought and then we also had to make sure the place was spotless.

We were towing the car behind the moving truck and the dog was with us in the cab lying between the two front seats. It was pretty slow driving. I think recommended speeds for a moving truck towing a car were 55, and we didn't go much faster than that.

The slow speed actually made the drive somewhat nice, wasn't too bad just to have everyone pass us and not worry about passing anybody else.

It was a roughly twelve hour ride. We did about 4-5 hours the first day and got a hotel outside of St Louis. We slept in bit because we were super tired. Didn't end up getting to my parents until around 10. Originally, this was supposed to be a rest day. Since we were behind, we would have to get up in the morning and continue on.

First we had to switch the cars being towed, which was fun to do in the freezing cold dark night.

So with way too little sleep we got going towards FL. At least the dog got to hang out with my parents.

The drive through West Virginia is usually very pretty, but with all those mountains and ups and downs it kind of sucked with the moving truck and car.

It was roughly a 14 and a half hour drive. I think we made it to Virginia that first night and got a hotel.

We were up and at em early again. And yet still, we didn't end up getting to Florida until 8:30. The storage unit place closed at 10, we at least wanted to get the car into it's storage unit so we spent a bit of time unloading then went to the hotel.

This was the fun part, I had found a really good Orbitz deal at the Caribbean Beach Pirate rooms. So at least we got to stay somewhere fun.

The hotel was nicely decorated for Christmas. One funny story, the second we pulled into Caribbean Beach with a moving truck Disney security was all over us, wanting to know what we were doing. Once we explained the story they were fine with it, but I was kind of impressed with how quickly they found us.

I had thought we could have most of a rest day at the hotel, but once again, we were over a day behind so we didn't get any rest. We woke up around 9 the next day and headed to the storage unit.

Unpacking took about 7.5 hours. It was pretty brutal. We were both exhausted from all the packing and driving.

When we were finally done we decided to have dinner at a Disney resort. Ours didn't have any table, so we made a last minute ADR at Rix's at Coronado. I'd never been there but it was pretty good.

The restaurant was pretty empty and we were far from the nearest table. Here is my post unpacking drink (coincidentally enough it was called 'everything hurts'):

I would have loved to sleep in the next morning, but the truck and trailer were due back and we actually had to drive about 45 minutes each way out to Clermont to return them.

We ended up flying back, I don't think either one of us could take anymore driving. The Southwest flight was pretty nice, the flight attendants were strict about asking people to put their masks on and they left the middle seats empty. Which I also heard they stopped doing on Dec 1.

I did appreciate some of the Pittsburgh airport's social distancing signs:

So it was a pretty tiring move and we'd fallen behind from the start. But at least now...all we had to do was wait another 10 days and we'd be in our new home!

Or not.

On Dec 1 our realtor ended up calling and said the seller's new house wasn't ready and could we either rent them the house or extend the closing.

Even though we Reeeeeally did not want to extend, they had two young kids and nowhere to go. We just asked if they'd pay the storage fees and they agreed.

So now we're not moving in until a few days after Christmas.

Which means we're stuck with my parents for the next month. My parents aren't bad but their internet is terrible and I still have to work. It's also very crowded. We don't have access to our stuff in storage and we only packed as if we'd be gone for 3 weeks, not almost 2 months.

It's going to be a trying month. but that's where we are at the moment.

Hi OP so glad you got the home you wanted Congrats!!:). It sounds like it is an adventure getting there. I agree nice of you to let them stay for the month even though a bit of an inconvenience for you.

I would like to share that last week my DH got a job working 100 % remote so we were able to put our house up for sale and went under contract the next day. Tuesday we found our "dream home" put a bid on it and got word on Thursday we got it:banana:. We will look to be closing sometime around January 22nd to 25th and moving at that time also.

I am not familiar with Davenport but it looks nice. We needed to be closer to UCF and universal so we were looking east of Orlando. Finally a house popped up so we are 30 miles east of Orlando and 15 minutes south of UCF. It is a little more out of the way than I am use too, but think I am ready for a change. The house itself is perfect. It has 4 BD and 3 BA with a screen in pool and a pond and woods view. We will have room to put a hot tub.

My DH is flying down tonight with one of my young adult teens to go through the house and inspection then come home. He will be taking lots of more videos and pics. This will be a good time to do measuring of things.

Keep us posted and have a good stay with your family.

So excited for you! Just got back to NY from "home" yesterday, left the Yacht Club on Thursday... I'm living vicariously through your post, because coming back really made me realize how much I want out of this state. Life may not allow it for a while...but, wow, I miss the smell of Florida water and palm trees already. :P

Hi OP so glad you got the home you wanted Congrats!!:). It sounds like it is an adventure getting there. I agree nice of you to let them stay for the month even though a bit of an inconvenience for you.

I would like to share that last week my DH got a job working 100 % remote so we were able to put our house up for sale and went under contract the next day. Tuesday we found our "dream home" put a bid on it and got word on Thursday we got it:banana:. We will look to be closing sometime around January 22nd to 25th and moving at that time also.

I am not familiar with Davenport but it looks nice. We needed to be closer to UCF and universal so we were looking east of Orlando. Finally a house popped up so we are 30 miles east of Orlando and 15 minutes south of UCF. It is a little more out of the way than I am use too, but think I am ready for a change. The house itself is perfect. It has 4 BD and 3 BA with a screen in pool and a pond and woods view. We will have room to put a hot tub.

My DH is flying down tonight with one of my young adult teens to go through the house and inspection then come home. He will be taking lots of more videos and pics. This will be a good time to do measuring of things.

Keep us posted and have a good stay with your family.

I'm very glad everything worked out for you! The house sounds very pretty, I like that you have a woods view. I think views for houses matter a lot. How are you going to move? You trying to do everything yourselves, hiring someone, or going the POD route?

So excited for you! Just got back to NY from "home" yesterday, left the Yacht Club on Thursday... I'm living vicariously through your post, because coming back really made me realize how much I want out of this state. Life may not allow it for a while...but, wow, I miss the smell of Florida water and palm trees already. :P

Yeah, I've been wanting to move to FL for probably 10 years and it took this long for things to fall into place. I'm so ready to not have cold winters anymore. I love to be outside but I hate the cold, so winters are pretty miserable for me.

Here's to hoping for the future!

@OhioStateBuckeye @bobbie68 (and anyone else in the process of moving to the Orlando area), if you would like to meet up in early February, it would be nice to meet those who recently moved to the area. I may be still looking for a house then, but do plan to be there at that time. I'd be up for meeting for dinner at Disney Springs or offsite, and outdoor dining is fine in case anyone prefers that.

@OhioStateBuckeye @bobbie68 (and anyone else in the process of moving to the Orlando area), if you would like to meet up in early February, it would be nice to meet those who recently moved to the area. I may be still looking for a house then, but do plan to be there at that time. I'd be up for meeting for dinner at Disney Springs or offsite, and outdoor dining is fine in case anyone prefers that.

Hi I would enjoy meeting up it sounds great! Yes we do outdoor dining so would enjoy that. Keep me posted and you can always PM me when it gets closer. I hope you have good luck in finding a home. If you want to bounce anything off of me please PM. Our closing is January 25th so we will be heading down on January 22nd.

Take care :)

I'm very glad everything worked out for you! The house sounds very pretty, I like that you have a woods view. I think views for houses matter a lot. How are you going to move? You trying to do everything yourselves, hiring someone, or going the POD route?

Here's to hoping for the future!

Hi thank you:). We were going to have a professional mover but our finances took a turn and we had to scrap that. We will be renting a Uhaul and towing a vehicle and having a friend and nephew help us drive. I am actually glad we decided to do it ourselves this way I will have everything from day one. How are your plans going to leave? Yes we are very happy with our view. it will be very different for us. We live in the city now. We are one of the last houses in the back of the complex so very quiet. I will post some pics soon. Look forward to hearing on your move.

I think this is a good idea and I'd be up for it in the future, but I'd like to wait a bit and see what is happening with COVID.

Hi thank you:). We were going to have a professional mover but our finances took a turn and we had to scrap that. We will be renting a Uhaul and towing a vehicle and having a friend and nephew help us drive. I am actually glad we decided to do it ourselves this way I will have everything from day one. How are your plans going to leave? Yes we are very happy with our view. it will be very different for us. We live in the city now. We are one of the last houses in the back of the complex so very quiet. I will post some pics soon. Look forward to hearing on your move.

My only advice would be to give yourselves plenty of rest on the drive down. We were loading the truck for two days straight and then left immediately and had very little rest on the way down. It was pretty tiring.

Also, when you are driving I would not worry about going fast whatsoever. We rarely went above 55 and it was not that bad. We didn't have to worry about passing everyone and changing lanes, what with the giant truck and the car behind it. Even though we were slow it wasn't too stressful.

Our original plans to leave PA were to drive our second car with our dog, the plants, and whatever stuff we have remaining.

Now we don't think everything will fit comfortably in the one car so we've done a one way rental on an SUV and will be driving both cars to FL.

So I have another update.

Looks like the sellers are ready to close this Wed, Dec 16. We've been trying to get the paperwork lined up and correct. Our realtor found one little thing wrong and we are waiting for the updated closing papers to sign. I hope they post soon because we have an appointment at 2:30 with a notary to sign.

We have all our funds ready to go for the final wire transfer payment. I am so ready to have all this paperwork stuff over with.

Even though we'll close on the house Dec 16, we had planned to spend Christmas with my parents in PA (which is where we are now). It'd be a waste to drive down and then almost immediately come back, so we're staying here until the Monday after Christmas then we're finally headed down for good!

Last edited:
And we've closed!

It is official.

We met with our notary yesterday at a Starbucks. Sat outside in the 31 degree temps to sign all the papers.

Wired our down payment and final closing costs.

Had a last minute paper to sign last night.

And today we are closed!

That takes a giant weight off.

Now we can enjoy Christmas at my parents and head out to FL with our remaining stuff on the Monday after Christmas.

We already drove the moving truck and put everything into storage. We towed one car, so we have our other car to drive down.

So all that's left is to get ourselves, the dog, our stuff and the final car down to Florida. Then of course, get all the stuff back out of storage and to the house.

Almost there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter