Mulan being released next month on Disney Plus

I'm not to compare it to a night at a movie theatre, because those prices are outrageous - however, considering that most likely you can get the triple play (dvd/blu-ray and digital) for $19.99 , it's a bit steep

It would be nice if they offered a rental option like many movies on Amazon. If you want to own it, as long as you are a Disney+ subscriber, pay $29.99. If you want 24 or maybe 48 hours of access to it, pay $4.99.

For me (1 person household) it would be $10-15 I would be willing to spend, but then it also makes a difference if it is a rental for a few days or permanent in my library.

I have friends who would want to see it and we could make a movie night out of it, I guess, but then I would rather go to the theater with them and really make it a night out with dinner before and drinks afterwards. When watching a movie at home you are not as engaged, as we talk through it, sanitary stops, food & drink breaks...

I can understand the pricing equates to seeing it in a theater, and even less than the cost of seeing it in a theater for many people. But, watching it at home simply is not the same as seeing it in a theater. My 50" TV doesn't compare to the movie theater screen, surround sound, recliner chairs, and movie theater popcorn. I'm happy to pay $40+ for an evening out with DH going to the movies. Its a different vibe that doesn't really compare when watching at home, where I sit every evening and where I've been cooped up all day as someone who works from home. For that reason, the cost wouldn't be worth it to us.

Honestly, these days, I have tired of the theater "experience" so to speak. It's always chaotic at the ones around here - granted I'm going to the big "nerd movies" but, honestly, with my new 4K TV - ehh, I could go either way. I'm not paying 30 bucks to see mulan though, but if friends want to go in on it, maybe.
We are lucky, we see tons of nerdy movies too but the 21 and up section is in a separate part of the theater that has waiters, dinner, and cocktails as well as standard movie snacks available. Very quiet, no kids running around, we get there early to have a cocktail at their bar then once we are seated our waiter takes our dinner and drink order and we kick back in the plush reclining seats to immerse ourselves in the movie. I never cared to go to the movies for the same reasons you mentioned but the over 21 section has made me a movie goer!

We are lucky, we see tons of nerdy movies too but the 21 and up section is in a separate part of the theater that has waiters, dinner, and cocktails as well as standard movie snacks available. Very quiet, no kids running around, we get there early to have a cocktail at their bar then once we are seated our waiter takes our dinner and drink order and we kick back in the plush reclining seats to immerse ourselves in the movie. I never cared to go to the movies for the same reasons you mentioned but the over 21 section has made me a movie goer!

That sounds nice, but it's not the kids that are so annoying. Nerds can be a difficult bunch - and trust me, I am one. ;)

I wonder if the release only to Disney+ is going to limit the movie's accessibility; for people who aren't currently subscribers, it's $30 + $6.99.

I almost think the movie would get more traction if they also made it available through other VoD services for $40.

Either way, we've had some cabin fever and are looking for some new content. DW and I will likely pay the $30: heck, we've been paying $30 to watch drive-in older movies in our car. :)

Just read that Disney stock jumped up with the announcement that Disney+ now has 60 million subscribers. If even a small percentage of those subscribers pay the $30 for Mulan, you're looking at some nice profits, and they sure need that now. I'll wait for it to stream free with my subscription, or I'll buy the blu-ray. No hurry to see this as I'm not a big fan of live-action remakes.

Just read that Disney stock jumped up with the announcement that Disney+ now has 60 million subscribers. If even a small percentage of those subscribers pay the $30 for Mulan, you're looking at some nice profits, and they sure need that now. I'll wait for it to stream free with my subscription, or I'll buy the blu-ray. No hurry to see this as I'm not a big fan of live-action remakes.

I'm not usually either, but this one looked like one of the better ones, as in not a shot-for-shot remake. I do like them when they change it up, like Dumbo, so I've been looking forward to this one.

thankfully we own just about all Disney movies - including bootleg Song of the South. Nope not paying for any movie I have seen a few times already.

Honestly, why would anyone pay $30 (in addition to the subscription service) to watch a movie you can probably buy on DVD for $20 in a few months?

I get it though. They're in a bad spot and the options are limited.

I wonder when they did the count. No, I actually don't. The count was likely done in July while they had many people who had jumped in for Hamilton. I wonder what the August and September count numbers will look like -- and if they'll want to fill Wall St in on those so promptly?

We made the decision to sign up July 2nd so we could watch Hamilton. We did and loved the show, watching it several times. Watched the doc about imagineering, a doc about the Sherman Brothers, Princess and the Frog, Frozen 2 and some classic Mickey cartoons. We planned on only having the service for the month and honestly there would be no point for us to have continued paying for a service that we wouldn't be watching anyway. I know new content is getting in shorter and shorter supply for all platforms right now, but for us Disney just wouldn't give us much bang for our buck. Hamilton would have provided us value at $30, and was a steal for the monthly premium we paid. No plans to jump in for Mulan at $30.

ETA We've been among those who wait and buy the Blu-Ray -- hopefully the BR/DVD/Digital combos when available. The past few years that has been more and more difficult to do, with some titles more and more difficult to find if not bought immediately on release. That happened at the same time Costco essentially removed 99.9% of Blu-Rays and DVDs from their shelves. I'll be curious to see with Disney now in the streaming game if in fact titles remain locked in the infamous vault in an attempt to drive traffic to the service.

Last edited:

Not really. I mean just DH & I going to the movies is $50+. If we added a few kids, it gets very expensive very quickly. If it was in the theater first and then went to Disney+ at that price, then yes, that would be ridiculous. But all things considering, no I don't think it's a crazy amount to pay. They have to make money on the release of what should have been a big summer blockbuster somehow. The only thing I'd miss terribly is movie popcorn. I have no problem shelling out cash for that stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter