My Goal --- To BQ some day. Next attempt Fall 2013

disneyrunningnut

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, Thank you for reading my Journal. My name is David. I am 41 years old and my goal is to qualify for the Boston Marathon by running a sub 3:20 marathon. My goal marathon is the Kiawah Marathon on Kiawah Island, South Carolina December 6th 2008. I set this goal after finishing the Kiawah Marathon in 2004.

Keys to achieving my goal in order of importance:

1. Stay healthy
2. Lose 15 pounds
3. Average 65 mile per week from now until the race.
4. Have a good training cycle using Daniels' Plan A

I discovered the WISH board by listening to the DIS Pod cast. I have been lurking a bit. I love the advice and support you guys offer.

I am going to post a little background on some of my ups and downs since the 2004 Marathon.

BACKGROUND Part 1

I started running in 2002. I am 5' 6'' and weighed 191 at the time. I started walking on the track every day to try to lose weight. Then I started running on the back stretch. Then I would run half a lap and walk half a lap. I kept making progress and was able to run 3 miles without stopping. I still remember the first time I was able to do that. It was a huge milestone. As important to me as running a marathon or running 100 miles in 1 week. It was when I first considered myself a runner. I lost a lot of weight. Got down in the 140-145 range. Averaged 20-25 miles per week for 2002 and 2003. I never ran a race I just enjoyed running.

In the spring of 2004 I got the fever to run a Marathon. I used the Hal Higdon Intermediate Plan and averaged about 35-40 mile per week. I ran the 2004 Kiawah Marathon in 3:46. I was very happy. After I finished I set a goal to Qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Background Part 2

After the marathon in Dec of 2004 I decided to keep my mileage up to see how that would help me. I started running every day easy and averaged 50+ MPW from January through August of 2005. The higher mileage was a miracle. I was getting faster every month just by running easy every day. In April of 2005 I ran my first 5K in 19:58. In May of 2005 I ran another one in 19:23. In August I ran another in 19:35.

At this point I thought I had a great chance of BQ'ing at the Kiawah Marathon in December.

I ran my first 10K the last day of August. I finished in 40:25 and was ecstatic.

FIRST HUGE MISTAKE-- My marathon plan called for a 19 miler that day after the 10K race. I ran it on worn out legs and hurt myself. I had to take 5 weeks completely off from running. I lost a lot of fitness and by the time I got back into training the damage was done.

I ran the 2005 Kiawah Marathon in 3:28. A huge PR but way short of what I could have done. Lesson learned, don't run a key workout until you are fully recovered from a race.

Background Part 3

After the 2005 marathon I bounced back pretty quick. I got my mileage up into the 60+ mpw range. The higher mileage kept paying off. In May of 2006 I ran a 18:52 5K. I even ran 100 miles in one week in early June.

I kept running 65+ mpw during the summer of 2006. Gradually I started slowing down a little and my average Heart Rate started going up during the late summer - early fall of 2006. My warm up race for my December marathon was a 1/2 marathon October 28th.

I was noticing my easy pace slowing. I was getting some shortness of breath. I was thinking I was Over-trained from all the miles and I was having Allergy problems.

My goal in the 1/2 was sub 1:30. I finished in 1:33. It was a 7 minute PR but short of my goal. I was VERY slow recovering from the race. I had to slow way down the next few weeks. Something was wrong. Kept having shortness of breath while running. I decided I was have allergy problems and made a Doctors appointment.

Background Part 4

I went to the Doctors appointment to get some allergy medicine to fix me up. Well one thing lead to another and 4 days after my 40th birthday on January 25, 2007 I had a heart catheter. I had 7 blockages in my heart and had to have 5 stents put in. I was blown away. Just 12 weeks earlier I had finished a half marathon in 1:33. The bottom line is that you can't do anything about your genes.

I took a few months off on doctor's orders. I started running again in early summer of 2007. I made great progress and got my mileage up to the 70 MPW range in late summer. I started eying a BQ attempt in February of 2008. I was in great shape and ran a 10K in 40:52 in early November.

SECOND MISTAKE-- I was following my marathon plan and was doing a workout on the track. During my 4th interval I tore my hamstring. I should have skipped the workout. My hammy was bothering me since the 10K. I was still early in the marathon plan and it wouldn't have hurt me to skip it.

Another BQ attempt was gone.

David...I wish you the best in your BQ journey. You are way beyond my ability in running...I did manage to overtrain my first marathon and injured myself beyond belief causing me to run an excrutiating first marathon. Since then I've learned that my body was really not made to run...but I keep trying LOL. Sounds like you have learned via trial and error to be a smart athlete. I look forward to reading more of your journal.

Background Part 5

Ok, after tearing my hamstring last fall I was very bummed out. I slowly started running again in February of this year. I had no motivation. I gained almost 20 pounds. I was only running about 20 miles per week from Feb -May.

Injuries cost me a BQ attempt in 2005 and 2007. My heart cost me a chance in 2006.

Well I started getting the fever again in late May. I have gotten my mileage up and ran 204 miles in June. I should be able to hit 300 mile this month.

So here we go. I am now 154 pounds and need to be in the 138-140 range by the race. I will post at least once a week to sum up my training for that week. I am just running easy now building my mileage back up. As I get in shape my easy pace will get faster and my effort will get easier.

I will start Daniels' Marathon Plan A the second week in August.

Between the time I finished my first marathon and when I run this one in December I will have logged over 8000 miles. I had no idea what I got myself into almost 4 years ago. :)

Your encouragement and support will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!

David

Hi David,
Sounds like you are going in the right direction.Good thing you went to the doctor when you did.

I will be following your progress.We all try to keep each other going around here.A little quiet now that summer is here though.

Thanks for commenting on my journal.I got out of the swing after doing a 1/2 in April.I feel like I am at square one again with just starting out doing 5K a couple times a week, it sucks. I am very, very winded and even had to stop one day, I don't remember being like that before in the beginning.I probably was just don't remember.I also put 7lbs back on and that can't help :(
I am doing the 09 marathon in Disney as of right now so I need to kick it into gear!

Keep posting, I look forward to cheering you on.

Have a happy 4th,

Linda

David...I wish you the best in your BQ journey. You are way beyond my ability in running...I did manage to overtrain my first marathon and injured myself beyond belief causing me to run an excrutiating first marathon. Since then I've learned that my body was really not made to run...but I keep trying LOL. Sounds like you have learned via trial and error to be a smart athlete. I look forward to reading more of your journal.

Thanks Amy!!! Good luck with your upcoming races. Looks like your calendar it full.

Hi David,
Sounds like you are going in the right direction.Good thing you went to the doctor when you did.

I will be following your progress.We all try to keep each other going around here.A little quiet now that summer is here though.

Thanks for commenting on my journal.I got out of the swing after doing a 1/2 in April.I feel like I am at square one again with just starting out doing 5K a couple times a week, it sucks. I am very, very winded and even had to stop one day, I don't remember being like that before in the beginning.I probably was just don't remember.I also put 7lbs back on and that can't help :(
I am doing the 09 marathon in Disney as of right now so I need to kick it into gear!

Keep posting, I look forward to cheering you on.

Have a happy 4th,

Linda

Good luck with the training. I have felt like I was starting completely over a few times. The good thing is you regain your fitness much quicker then it took to get there the first time. Just slow down and run easy and you will be back to where you were soon.

David

Week Ending 7/5

This week was just a base building week. All easy miles without pushing the pace. I planned to run a 2 hour long run on Sunday and Wednesday. Over the next few weeks I will work my Sunday long run up to 2.5 hours.

My Max HR is 184

Sun 13.1 miles 9:09 Pace 143 Avg HR
Mon 9.9 M 8:49 P 143 HR
Tue 10.5 M 8:56 P 140 HR
Wed 13.8 M 8:52 P 143 HR
Thu 6.0 M 9:03 P 143 HR
Fri 9.8 M 8:52 P 142 HR
Sat 7.2 M 8:53 P 146 HR

Total 70.3 miles 8:56 Average Pace 143 Average HR

It was a good week for me. This is the highest weekly mileage since I tore my hamstring in November. The plan is to keep running easy and my Average HR should go down as my Average Pace gets faster.

I am also down to 153 pounds. 15 more to go.

David,
Looks great! I was wondering what part of the country you are in.

Your pace is really impressive for the distance.How does the hamstring feel after the week you had? Be careful not to go and do too much and end up behind the 8 ball as they say.I know people that compete with themselves like us don't want to hear that.

Have a good day,
Linda

David,
Looks great! I was wondering what part of the country you are in.

Your pace is really impressive for the distance.How does the hamstring feel after the week you had? Be careful not to go and do too much and end up behind the 8 ball as they say.I know people that compete with themselves like us don't want to hear that.

Have a good day,
Linda

I am from Rock Hill, South Carolina. We are just a few miles south of Charlotte, NC. BTW it is hot and humid here in the summer. I can only run early in the morning before the sun gets to high. I was out the door this morning at 5:30 for my long run.

My hamstring has been fine. Just feels a little weak sometimes. I should be ok as long as I don't do speed work or push the pace to much.

Thanks,

David

Hey David,
What's going on in your neck of the exercise woods?

Linda

Hi Linda,

It has been hotter this week then last. But it is normal for SC. It will be 68-72 degrees and 90% humidity at 6AM from now until the end of August. I actually like it better then running in the cold.

Mileage is good this week, 54 miles so far this week with 2 days to go. My average heart rate is lower then last week. I am excited about that. Right now it is about 140-142 with an average pace of 9MPM. When it gets down to 138-140 with an average pace of 8:20-8:30MPM I will be ready to run 7:30 pace for the Marathon. Losing another 14 pounds with help with that also.

David

Hi David,
WOW a 7:30 pace for the marathon-see you at the finish!

Looking at your picture-if that is you- I can't imagine you need to lose 14 lbs.,be careful.

The weather here yesterday was beautiful but the humidity is on its way back.This am is nice still though.I am definately a morning exerciser.If I start anything I will not put it down to go out and do what I have to.In the early spring everything went on hold for yard work.Now I am getting back in the groove.

We love South Carolina-Hilton Head especially!

Have a good one,
Linda

Thanks Linda,

That picture is me at about 18 mile mark in the 2005 Kiawah Marathon. I was about 142 then. I was down to 138 last fall. I think that is a good race weight for me. I am 152 this week. I weigh myself every morning then take the average for the week. That way I can average out the water weight fluctuations.

The rule of thumb is 2 secs/mile for every pound lost. Of course you will slow down if you lose too much. 138-140 should be good for me.

David

HI David! Just wanted to wish you well in your training!!! Your miles and pace is amazing!

Stacie

David, your story is amazing! I am so impressed with the miles you put in each week. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks Leana and Stacie!!!!

Just finished another week today. It was much hotter here in South Carolina this week. But it was normal heat, last week was unusually cool.

Max Heart Rate 184

Sun 13.7 miles 8:48 pace 143 average HR
Mon 8.9 M 9:11 P 140 HR
Tue 10.5 M 9:09 P 137 HR
Wed 13.7 M 8:59 P 139 HR
Thu 7.3 M 8:53 P 142 HR
Fri 10.5 M 9:06 P 137 HR
Sat 7.8 M 8:52 P 142 HR with 4 strides at the end

Total 72.4 miles 8:59 pace 140 average HR

Overall a great base week for me. It was hotter and my average HR was down from 143 last week to 140 this week. The effort is getting easier.

Three more weeks of base building then I start Daniels' Plan A. Goal for next week is to run a 2.5 hour long run and add strides two days.

David

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter