My quick thoughts on Harry Potter at Universal Studios compared to Disney

ethanwa

Disney Superfan
Just some quick thoughts on my first trip to Universal since I was about 14 (which was 20+ years ago) as compared to Disney. This is our first time going today since we've been locals here the past year:

Note: These are my OPINIONS and I don't expect others to agree with everything I say. :)

- The Harry Potter lands, both Hogsmead and Diagon Alley, are on par with any land Disney has ever created. I wouldn't say it's better, but it's definitely got that Disney magic. I was VERY impressed. My whole family had a blast there today. You could spend a whole day just staying in the Harry Potter areas. Unfortunately the rest of Universal is NOT like Harry Potter.

- The Hogwarts Express (that travels between parks) was not as good as I expected, though it was neat. The screens on the train are not quite high quality enough, and I didn't quite feel that it was real enough. They did a good job, but it could have been slightly better.

- Now, the rest of the parks (both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios) are NOT up to Disney standards. That includes the Simpsons area, etc. The parks feel very disjointed and the theming is sometimes mixed and misused. The flow of the parks is not good, in my opinion. Some employees are also somewhat rude (not all though). I will say that Islands of Adventure does have some amazing themed areas.... but they still just feel disjointed, if that makes sense. I think Disney has the right ideas making a central spoke-and-hub in many of their parks, where Universal tends to have a circle around a lake.

- Universal is more about fun rides for older kids and adults, for the most part, and it was very easy to see and they didn't try to hide that. Roller coasters tower above lands, and you can see them from other areas of the park. You can hear the Hulk ride, for example, in almost every location of the park, except Harry Potter. Besides Harry Potter, the focus is on the RIDE, not the LAND. We saw waaaaay more adults-only and teenager+ groups there today than we saw strollers and kids. Even City Walk (the equivalent of Downtown Disney) is adult-themed, with clubs, a tattoo parlor, etc.

- Universal Studios is like Disneyland in size. Disney World just has no equal in terms of land. There are two parks, a downtown, and it's in the middle of a city. It's compact and walkable, but also not as immersive.

We got annual passes for the family, and I'm glad we did, because of Harry Potter.... but if it wasn't for HP, I am not sure we would have gotten them. It will be a great place for my wife and I to visit in the mornings when the kids are at school.

Overall, Disney will still be our main go-to for entertainment, with Universal being a "few times a year" thing.

Ethan

Just some quick thoughts on my first trip to Universal since I was about 14 (which was 20+ years ago) as compared to Disney. This is our first time going today since we've been locals here the past year:

Note: These are my OPINIONS and I don't expect others to agree with everything I say. :)

- The Harry Potter lands, both Hogsmead and Diagon Alley, are on par with any land Disney has ever created. I wouldn't say it's better, but it's definitely got that Disney magic. I was VERY impressed. My whole family had a blast there today. You could spend a whole day just staying in the Harry Potter areas. Unfortunately the rest of Universal is NOT like Harry Potter.

- The Hogwarts Express (that travels between parks) was not as good as I expected, though it was neat. The screens on the train are not quite high quality enough, and I didn't quite feel that it was real enough. They did a good job, but it could have been slightly better.

- Now, the rest of the parks (both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios) are NOT up to Disney standards. That includes the Simpsons area, etc. The parks feel very disjointed and the theming is sometimes mixed and misused. The flow of the parks is not good, in my opinion. Some employees are also somewhat rude (not all though). I will say that Islands of Adventure does have some amazing themed areas.... but they still just feel disjointed, if that makes sense. I think Disney has the right ideas making a central spoke-and-hub in many of their parks, where Universal tends to have a circle around a lake.

- Universal is more about fun rides for older kids and adults, for the most part, and it was very easy to see and they didn't try to hide that. Roller coasters tower above lands, and you can see them from other areas of the park. You can hear the Hulk ride, for example, in almost every location of the park, except Harry Potter. Besides Harry Potter, the focus is on the RIDE, not the LAND. We saw waaaaay more adults-only and teenager+ groups there today than we saw strollers and kids. Even City Walk (the equivalent of Downtown Disney) is adult-themed, with clubs, a tattoo parlor, etc.

- Universal Studios is like Disneyland in size. Disney World just has no equal in terms of land. There are two parks, a downtown, and it's in the middle of a city. It's compact and walkable, but also not as immersive.

We got annual passes for the family, and I'm glad we did, because of Harry Potter.... but if it wasn't for HP, I am not sure we would have gotten them. It will be a great place for my wife and I to visit in the mornings when the kids are at school.

Overall, Disney will still be our main go-to for entertainment, with Universal being a "few times a year" thing.

Ethan

We have not been to the new additions of HP, but I completely concur. My daughter saw feedback on Hogwarts and she agrees with your assessment by proxy. (She researches a lot!) I'm concerned that I would have an issue because of my eyes. :-(

That said--theming is phenomenal and the workers in character adds to it.
Not a fan of the rest of the park. My kids enjoyed the coasters. But my 3yo was only tall enough for only 2 rides in all of IOA. We did know this--but when she can't even ride all the rides in Seussland. ????

While I know folks are going in droves by the claims here, it doesn't work for us for a complete family vacation yet. We have been twice with very short toddlers. Same problem both times. Nice place otherwise. (But I am not into Marvel comics and all that .

Noting that these are just your opinions, I generally agree with almost everything you say. And to be clear, I like Universal and especially like the Harry Potter areas.

I can see why a lot of people prefer Universal to Disney, especially if their highest priority is thrill rides and the ability to repeat rides if they get the unlimited express pass. I can also see why a lot of people might gravitate toward Universal as their kids grow into their teens. That having been said, I don't see me ever taking a trip to Florida with Universal as my focal point. A day or two at Universal as a change of pace and something different from Disney can be great. But, it just doesn't give me the same good feeling.

I also agree with much of your post, just probably a little stronger in my dislike of the negatives you listed. It doesn't fit us at all. I'm glad we got to see the HP area, but it's more of a been there, seen that sort of thing for us. I'm glad we went, but feel no need to return.

I've been trying to decide if a side trip to Universal (really just to see Harry Potter) is worth it this coming trip. DD will be 9 and DS will be 5.75. Both are on the short side. DD is just 48" tall and DS is about 42". They both really love Harry Potter, but will be disappointed if they can't do most of the rides. This *could* be our last trip to Disney in quite some time and we do have the time to go. Is it worth the money or not with such short kids?

I've been trying to decide if a side trip to Universal (really just to see Harry Potter) is worth it this coming trip. DD will be 9 and DS will be 5.75. Both are on the short side. DD is just 48" tall and DS is about 42". They both really love Harry Potter, but will be disappointed if they can't do most of the rides. This *could* be our last trip to Disney in quite some time and we do have the time to go. Is it worth the money or not with such short kids?
My son is 7--can't measure him as most of our household items moved to Florida ahead of us--he was almost 7 when he went and he could ride all in Harry potter except the dueling dragons one (has a Hp name, but I don't recall what it was.)

We spend $600 on one day tickets with my youngest only able to ride 2 rides in Suessland and literally nothing else.

We would totally visit again if all we could do was HP. Older kids want APs because they do like the coasters, but because of the height issues and physical issues for some of is on coasters, we aren't sure we will.

But HP is totally worth a one time visit, IMHO. But be advised for Hogwarts and the new stuff, a 2 park ticket is required.

Your 42 inch child may be an issue, but you should be able to look that up ahead of time.

Quite honestly, I think Uni could have opened a 3rd park that was just HP attractions. :-)

Thanks for sharing. When I'm down there next month I'm going to Universal just for the HP parts. I've been bored with the rest of Universal in the past but definitely wanted to see what they did with Harry Potter. Once every 10 years is pretty good for me while Disney is as much as I can get, which has meant once every 5 years and hoping more in the future.

I'll just start out by saying that I absolutely adore Universal. I didn't expect to but it suits me perfectly. And frankly with all that's going on, I'm relieved now that I have Universal.

However I respect that you might feel differently and there's nothing wrong with that. We all have our own tastes and expectations.

I'd agree with much of your post and have said many similar things in the past.

There are bad cast members at both parks these days...so I think that is a wash IMO.
In my experience I've had much better interaction with Universal employees than Disney...mostly because a lot of those people were trained by Disney and left for various reasons.

Universal is not as family oriented as Disney...but I still think that there is a lot for younger kids.
All the Curios George stuff was a lot of fun, as well as kiddie area, Suesse landing and spongebob, super heroes etc...

I know that my wife and kid always preferred it to Disney and they were not into thrill rides at all..but that is all personal preference

There is also a lot more for teens and old kids IMO....thrill rides, Simpsons, MIB and the such..and again personal preference

I find the food far superior in Universal..but that may change as they follow Disney down the road of meal plans..hopefully not..

I find the Hotel superior as well...they are run by an actual hotel chain that rewards loyalty (at least the RPR and Porto - have not stayed at the others)...they don't treat repeat customers like cattle.

As for HP - I'm no fan..but I still think that part of the park is very well done and I do enjoy it...and I'd guess much of that has a lot to do with former Disney imagineers that have moved on to Universal

Universal is not for everyone, but IMO too many people just write it off as the "darkside" because it is not Disney...and they have not even done a day there.

I've done too many trips to Disney to count..and I don't see myself doing anything but Universal only in the future unless I really see what I consider a turnaround at Disney.

Thanks for your thoughts. We are planning a trip in April 2015 that will include both Universal and Disney. We've never been to Universal but my 11 yo DD is a HUGE HP fan so we feel a need to check it out, especially now that Diagon Alley is finished. We plan on spending 2 days at Universal/IOA so we can see each, and then 5 days at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter