My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

We are almost divorced from DVC and the parks. Just too much work now, and so crowded. We used to spend 4 weeks per year at Disney. Now, we maybe go for a long weekend.

We do still sail with DCL. We still find value and enjoyment there.

We are almost divorced from DVC and the parks. Just too much work now, and so crowded. We used to spend 4 weeks per year at Disney. Now, we maybe go for a long weekend.

We do still sail with DCL. We still find value and enjoyment there.
How do you divorce? Just sell your contract?

Serious question, I never remember a time when Disney had no crowds and lines - so was I just in the wrong park and I thought I was at Disney?

Serious question, I never remember a time when Disney had no crowds and lines - so was I just in the wrong park and I thought I was at Disney?

I don't ever remember "no crowds" but there were definitely times you could go where many rides in the parks were literal "walk ons." There were definitely slow times (generally a few of the weeks in January, early September, and I'm sure several other weeks). It's been a while but I've had friends go at certain times where they definitely felt like they almost had the parks to themselves. Now that's an exaggeration of course, but comparing it to other times it would seem that way.

Disney has done a great job of studying when those weeks are and scheduling other events and draws to get the park filled up so there are no longer really any of those somewhat rare down times in the parks. Marathons, festivals, discounts, etc.

Pretty much. Disney is expensive, which is the most likely reason for someone not going.
I have some wealthy relatives you’d have to pay to spend a day at Disney. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. There are some people that enjoyed Disney and it’s no longer their cup of tea so they move on. When a trip to Europe cost less than a trip to Epcot things start to feel out of balance.
To say that Disney is expensive so therefore that’s the reason someone is not going is an interesting perspective.

I have some wealthy relatives you’d have to pay to spend a day at Disney. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. There are some people that enjoyed Disney and it’s no longer their cup of tea so they move on. When a trip to Europe cost less than a trip to Epcot things start to feel out of balance.
To say that Disney is expensive so therefore that’s the reason someone is not going is an interesting perspective.

The number one reason why I hear people not wanting to go to Disney is price. Now, I know people that would rather hike and spend time in National Parks, but they have already gone to Disney, so for them, it's one and done. They don't like to repeat vacations. But if you ask someone that can't afford to go to Disney if they would go if they could afford it, I'm fairly certain most would say yes, especially if they have kids.

Well, DH and I traveled to WDW in early May...for whatever reason. This is back...1997-2003, and yes, the parks obviously always had lots of people around, but it never felt super crowded/packed in the way I read they are now. We lived down there...2004-07, and there were plenty of times we went to the parks during the year where they weren't packed, particularly in January. As I mentioned before, early December was also really nice. The old Fast Pass system that punched out a ticket for you as soon as you used the last one was a system that worked pretty darn well for such an antiquated system compared to this brilliant Genie+ deal they just rolled out (kidding) ;). When we traveled to Disney in May of 2010, after not having vacationed onsite in that way since 2003, the difference in crowd size and lack of access to a lot of theme park areas due to private events was palpable. We felt a bit ripped off to be honest.

I just looked up the number of hotel rooms on property...including DVC, suites, etc. Back in 98, there were 24,500 rooms, 25 years later...36,000 is what I find now. A lot of those new hotels are DVC properties or add-ons to other resorts....a cash cow for Disney. By that point in 97, we had the four parks, two water parks and back then..."Downtown Disney". And sure, some of the really cheap hotels out on 192 may have folded, but basically, more and more (and more) hotel space has been added not just on property, but up and around Disney. And there are also timeshares, VRBO and AirBnb that weren't really a big thing back then. And no new theme park gate has been built to handle the crowds.

The number one reason why I hear people not wanting to go to Disney is price. Now, I know people that would rather hike and spend time in National Parks, but they have already gone to Disney, so for them, it's one and done. They don't like to repeat vacations. But if you ask someone that can't afford to go to Disney if they would go if they could afford it, I'm fairly certain most would say yes, especially if they have kids.
How many people do you think that “can’t afford“to go to Disney spend time on a Disney forum?

Pretty much. Disney is expensive, which is the most likely reason for someone not going.
In our case we'd be willing to pony up the cash if we felt like we were getting an adequate return for our spending -- and our time. Too much hassle for not nearly enough enjoyment of the experience for us. Quite different from the days when we felt a week at the Poly was well worth it stacked against how much we enjoyed ourselves. We recognize that the Disney of today isn't particularly interested in providing a welcoming and entertaining experience. We'll save them the bother and head elsewhere.

Lots. And lots of people are willing to take on debt to go to Disney.
And that is awful. That kind of debt can be hard to get rid of.

I know people who have never been to WDW and have no interest in going. My brother and his wife are two. They have three kids and traveled a lot with them when they were younger but never to any Disney parks. It always surprised me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter