My TR - a bunch of reviews and random thoughts.

Apologies that some pics have turned sideways. They are the right way up on photobucket, so I'm not quite sure how to fix them. :confused3

Your photos are stunning

I would of been a little scared seeing that heard of byson (buffalo??) coming towards the car!

Your photos are stunning I would of been a little scared seeing that heard of byson (buffalo??) coming towards the car!

Thanks CJ2001. I was annoyed with myself that I didn't carry my tripod with me at all times. I'm pretty sure I could have got some nicer pics (particularly of the bears) if I'd had something to stabilise the camera.

The bison walking towards the car was a real treat. We were actually really lucky they were walking towards us as we were able to cut the engine and watch them walk around both sides of the car. There were so many of them, even little babies.

The people driving the other way weren't so lucky. Bison have been known to walk along a road for miles. The people driving behind them could have potentially been stuck driving slowly behind the herd for an hour or so.

A lot of Americans call them buffalo even though they are not actually a member of the buffalo family. I think the name has stuck though because it sounds a bit more exciting than bison. The Latin name for bison is bison bison. My son found that extremely amusing and it's the only Latin name he's managed to remember. :rotfl:

Thanks so much for these reviews and pictures, really great way to highlight what you did. And also your honesty, I appreciate it when people can also feel free to say something wasn't as good as they had hoped.

Did you find it a hassle changing accomodation very often? We find it quite a chore to keep moving for only short stays.

Always wanted to go to Yellowstone mainly to see bears. Could i ask what sort of prices the accomodation was? Am i right to guess they are pretty pricey, as they usually are in parks like Yosemite.

WOW, I am loving your "non-TR" Wanderlust. So great to see photos and read about a different destination to most of us :cool1:

Thanks so much for these reviews and pictures, really great way to highlight what you did. And also your honesty, I appreciate it when people can also feel free to say something wasn't as good as they had hoped. Did you find it a hassle changing accomodation very often? We find it quite a chore to keep moving for only short stays. Always wanted to go to Yellowstone mainly to see bears. Could i ask what sort of prices the accomodation was? Am i right to guess they are pretty pricey, as they usually are in parks like Yosemite.

Hi Marvel.

I think there are always going to be destinations that you just don't quite love as much as others, and for us that was Aulani. In saying that, I believe my life has been made richer by every one of my travel experiences (even the slightly less enjoyable ones), so I'm happy we went and have no regrets. At the end of the day, there is no denying that it is a stunning resort. The fact that I'm not craving a return visit is probably a good thing since we really can't afford more time at Aulani right now. :rotfl:

The accommodation prices inside Yellowstone were, I believe, not too bad. Most rooms or cabins were priced between US$100 - $200 p/n for 2 people. The cheaper accommodation was usually shared bathroom which wouldn't be too bad in places like Old Faithful Inn, but I don't really like the thought of walking from a cabin to a shared bathroom building during the night with animals about.
The most expensive accommodation in Yellowstone is at Lake Hotel (it's like the Grand Floridian of Yellowstone) and rooms there are about $300 p/n. To be honest, staying in Lake Hotel never really appealed to me. Staying in a nearby cabin seemed much more charming and more suited to the environment. Plus it was easier to drive up to the cabin door to load up the car.

No accommodation in Yellowstone has televisions or phones, and very few have wifi.

Accommodation in the towns around Yellowstone could cost you anything from $80 to $800. It depends what you are after.
The accommodation in Jackson, Wyoming is the most expensive due to high real estate costs. Millionaires have bought most of the town since Jackson is such a desirable holiday and ski location.
Out of season, accommodation is often cheaper. The Yellowstone Gateway Inn dropped it's prices for stays from October 1st. We stayed on the 1st and 2nd and only paid $155 p/n (taxes inc.) for a gorgeous 2 bedroom apartment. I thought that was a bargain.

We moved regularly and packing and repacking was a little bit annoying. However, I think I would have felt more annoyed if I'd had to back track constantly over roads I had already driven. Leaving one hotel in the morning, and arriving at another in the evening worked perfectly for our touring plans. Plus it gave us the chance to get a nice little taste of the whole area.
There is a fairly central accommodation option in Yellowstone called Canyon Village and many people base themselves there for 3 or more nights. Canyon had shut down by the time we arrived, but I wasn't too disappointed we didn't get the chance to stay there. I believe there are more charming options inside the park. Roosevelt Lodge would have been a great option had it been open.

WOW, I am loving your "non-TR" Wanderlust. So great to see photos and read about a different destination to most of us :cool1:

Thanks Travel Mum. :)

When I tell people at work I went to Yellowstone they don't really get it. Some seem uninterested, and others ask if I saw Yogi as all they picture is camping in a forest with bears about. It's only one staff member who saw the BBC Yellowstone documentary when it was on, who can understand why I was so excited to have had the chance to visit.

Hopefully my TR inspires at least one person to visit one day as it's a really special place.

Thanks so much for sharing, I love the photos and your helpful tips. It is definitely going on my bucket list. How wonderful that your son has been able to enjoy nature at its best at such a young age. such memories to cherish forever.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will have to show DD when she is home tonight. Wonderful pictures - you got some great wildlife shots there. I am still so envious of all that you saw. Will be referring to this trip in the future I know when it comes time to plan my Yellowstone trip - one day! I think we like the same sort of settings and your choice of accommodations looked perfect for us. Can I be a junior ranger too?? so unfair kids get all the fun! (and when your kids are all grown up you can't "tag" along to experience the fun with them). We have found over the years planning any trip like a WDW excursion works well-being well informed before you arrive makes travelling so much easier from using the public transport, knowing the best route to drive, great places to eat, to not missing those "off the beaten track" but special sights. Thanks for sharing your pics, and your insights.

Wanderlust, I thought of you when I watched this: http://themetapicture.com/when-they-brought-these-wolves/

Thanks for sharing Travel Mum. :thumbsup2

I have seen that video before, but it was good to watch it again.

Interestingly, our guide discussed that video with us on our Yellowstone Wildlife tour. She wasn't completely convinced by the strength of the claims made in that movie, however the knock-on effect from the wolves has been very interesting. Mainly their reintroduction has been extremely controversial.
While they have been great for the Yellowstone eco-system and tourists love them, they haven't been welcomed quite so warmly by neighbouring ranch owners. Just like the Bison, they are a threat to livestock, and many ranch owners would rather see them dead.
It is a frustrating debate with valid arguments on both sides and no easy solution. As our guide pointed out, there are no fences on the borders of Yellowstone, and the animals are not aware of the invisible line they shouldn't cross.

Thanks so much for sharing, I love the photos and your helpful tips. It is definitely going on my bucket list. How wonderful that your son has been able to enjoy nature at its best at such a young age. such memories to cherish forever.

I agree - he is really lucky. The learning he got in that one week was unequalled by anything he could have go in the classroom. That isn't meant as an insult to teachers (I'm one myself), there's just something to be said for first hand experience. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will have to show DD when she is home tonight. Wonderful pictures - you got some great wildlife shots there. I am still so envious of all that you saw. Will be referring to this trip in the future I know when it comes time to plan my Yellowstone trip - one day! I think we like the same sort of settings and your choice of accommodations looked perfect for us. Can I be a junior ranger too?? so unfair kids get all the fun! (and when your kids are all grown up you can't "tag" along to experience the fun with them). We have found over the years planning any trip like a WDW excursion works well-being well informed before you arrive makes travelling so much easier from using the public transport, knowing the best route to drive, great places to eat, to not missing those "off the beaten track" but special sights. Thanks for sharing your pics, and your insights.

No, thank YOU for your kind words. It's nice when people take such a genuine interest in your TR.

You'll be pleased to hear that adults can do the Junior Ranger Programme. There a 3 types of patches and anyone 13 years or older can go for the bison patch. It's pretty cool, I nearly decided to do it myself. :)

http://www.nps.gov/yell/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yell/forteachers/youngscientist.htm

I just read a post elsewhere on the Dis which spoke of Hawaii being in Fall Break the week we were at Aulani. Others had had the same issue with the crowds that we had had.

So that explains quite a lot.

It seems that even though I thought I was good at doing research, I neglected to find out when Hawaii (and other U.S. States) have fall break. I also should have looked into Japanese school holidays as there were a lot of Japanese people there also. Lesson learnt.

It would be interesting to experience Aulani at a much quieter time, but even with reassurance that the resort was half empty, I'm still not convinced it is the right fit for us. I told DH about Hawaii being on school holidays while we were there, and asked whether he thinks we would have 'loved' the resort instead of just 'liked' it had there been less crowds. He said 'No' as our idea of a perfect beach resort is a beautiful beach, clear water, great snorkeling, and lot's of privacy. While Aulani offers a lot, it doesn't offer that.

On a side note, I just got an email from my favourite beach resort in Fiji offering us 10% off and a few added extras for a return visit. It's not a huge amount, but given that discounts are pretty much unheard of for this resort, I'm tempted. I'm hassling DH who, ever the practical one, keeps saying 'No'.
Must. Show. Willpower.

You only live once ..and who knows how long your "once" will be (though we hope very very long) ...just saying..... Willpower - I obviously...do...not...have!!! Actually interestingly because I think we have similar tastes, Fiji has never appealed to us - not that we've tried it-seen and heard about it lots from friends and family. Maybe you can convince us otherwise!

Thanks for the heads up about the ranger program - so often they are just for the younguns.

I just read a post elsewhere on the Dis which spoke of Hawaii being in Fall Break the week we were at Aulani. Others had had the same issue with the crowds that we had had.

So that explains quite a lot.

It seems that even though I thought I was good at doing research, I neglected to find out when Hawaii (and other U.S. States) have fall break. I also should have looked into Japanese school holidays as there were a lot of Japanese people there also. Lesson learnt.

I hear your disappointment. We thought we would be visiting DLP at a quiet time too, only to find out that there were a couple of French school zones on holidays at the time. Nothing worse than thinking you're going at a quiet time and you turn up to big crowds :headache: At least if you know it's going to be crowded, you can prepare for it.

You only live once ..and who knows how long your "once" will be (though we hope very very long) ...just saying..... Willpower - I obviously...do...not...have!!! Actually interestingly because I think we have similar tastes, Fiji has never appealed to us - not that we've tried it-seen and heard about it lots from friends and family. Maybe you can convince us otherwise!

I think the three of us have very similar tastes ;) I haven't been swayed by the idea of a Fiji holiday yet either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter