• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Na'vi River Journey - EPIC Disappointment

Hmmm. Since you "refuse to wait over 15-20 minutes for any ride" was wondering how long the wait was for the two times you rode FOP?

Maybe they were lucky and got FP’s twice for FOP?

We were able to manage that in October during an 8 night stay. We had a FP for Na’vi River journey last year, this year it wasn’t even a blip on our radar. We did FOP fast pass, grabbed lunch next door and headed out of Pandora.

Last edited:
I would never wait that long for any ride.
We have always ridden it with a FP with a very short wait.
I think it is beautiful. DGS isn't big enough for FoP so I took him on it 4 times on our last trip while the rest of the family was on FoP. He loved it and I really enjoy it....just wish it was longer

I think Navi gets a bum rap. I feel bad for it, even though it's a ride and doesn't care or know people hate on it and make fun of it so.
My one complaint about it is it's too fast. You can't see all the wonderful detail the imaginers put into the ride. It's long enough, it's just too fast. Slow it down, let folks see it and I think that would fix some of the complaints.
Won't help those who seem to need a story with their ride. I'm a bit lost on that one quite honestly. Can't a ride just be a ride? Anyway....
The movie was on a few days ago. I tried to watch it but it did not hold my interest. Interesting though if you can recognize plants, etc. from the movie.
That's nothing. You can recognize entire scenes from the FoP ride. Both the queue and the visuals during the ride.

I only rode it once. Don't remember being disappointed as I had very low expectations. Then again, I'm the only person who wasn't blown away by FoP.

We rode Navi once a while back with a FP. Thought it was very beautiful, very short and we will not ride it again unless it is walk-on.

We rode it once. It's worth seeing the shaman animatronic but that's about it. I would probably do it again if it was a walk on but I would not wait more than 5-10 minutes and I would not waste a FP on it.

I think Navi gets a bum rap. I feel bad for it, even though it's a ride and doesn't care or know people hate on it and make fun of it so.
My one complaint about it is it's too fast. You can't see all the wonderful detail the imaginers put into the ride. It's long enough, it's just too fast. Slow it down, let folks see it and I think that would fix some of the complaints.
Won't help those who seem to need a story with their ride. I'm a bit lost on that one quite honestly. Can't a ride just be a ride? Anyway....

That's nothing. You can recognize entire scenes from the FoP ride. Both the queue and the visuals during the ride.

I agree! I love the simplicity and beauty of the ride. The Shaman's song is beyond beautiful IMHO and I adore the Shaman (I've been lucky to have her (him?) working every time I've ridden it).

But then again, I love Rivers of Light for its beautiful simplicity and music also, so... Maybe I'm just too easy to please.

Last edited:
It’s a very nice ride. Wouldn’t wait on line for it though. I hate the screens. Even though they are not all over the ride, I still know it’s fake. Takes you out of the illusion.

I agree! I love the simplicity and beauty of the ride. The Shaman's song is beyond beautiful IMHO and I adore the Shaman (I've been lucky to have her (him?) working every time I've ridden it).

But then again, I love Rivers of Light for its beautiful simplicity and music also, so... Maybe I'm just too easy to please.

LOVE rivers of light.

Not a main attraction worth waiting more than 20mins for IMO but I enjoy it (but my wife doesn't). I like the shadows of the creatures on the leaves above.

I like it - I find it relaxing and beautiful. But we rarely wait more than 30 minutes in stand by for ANY ride at WDW, even for headliners. We typically get a FP for it or ride right at opening.

I compare it to the boat ride at Epcot in Mexico, Gran Fiesta Tour. When people ask me if they should wait for NRJ; I'd ask if they'd wait that long for GFT.

Personally, I love this attraction! There is so much detail, I notice something different each time. But I would not wait more than 30 minutes to ride it.

OT but I have to share that a few years ago I took the little girls on our street to WDW for a week, and stayed at the Grand. A week of all kinds of fun and you know their favorite attraction????? GFT!!!!!!!! Over and over. Good thing I love those two!

We rode Na’vi yesterday with a Fast Pass. We waited less than 10 to board. I enjoyed it. It was very relaxing and the details were amazing. I wouldn’t wait a long time to ride it, but I will do it again with a minimal wait. I think it’s a nice contrast to FOP.

I wanted to go on this ride when we went to AK last week, just because it was something new, but when you have a choice between FOP FP or this, the choice isn't hard. It was an EMH morning, and the plan was to go Navi for RD but couldn't get the family there that early, so we had to skip it based on our day schedule.

To me, the "can only pick 1 ride" tiering they do with these new lands is very disappointing and frustrating. The secondary rides don't seem worth the wait (Navi River Journey, Alien Swirling saucers) and the standby times for these style of rides (because of their newness) is just too long. (You can say that for a lot of WDW rides though).

In general AK just needs more "ride" attractions. And more POPULAR ride attractions to make the waits for these "average" attractions be lower.

On our next rip .. NAVI will be FPed (and FOP probably skipped) so we can experience it (and we have two small kids - one 2YO and a 6YO who made it all the way to the Banshee bikes .. and bailed due to the realism of the pre-shows (may take a few more years before he tries again)).

I like it - I find it relaxing and beautiful. But we rarely wait more than 30 minutes in stand by for ANY ride at WDW, even for headliners. We typically get a FP for it or ride right at opening.

How have you done typically with rides at the parks during opening? And when you say opening do you mean RD? I'm going to RD MK and EPCOT as the times we are there, they don't have the early entry. AK has EE on Sunday and Monday, but I'm doing AK around 1pm on our arrival day Sunday. FoP is not my thing. Only interested in the Safari and Kali River Rapids as far as rides go.

We did not see Avatar and don't plan to. But we can appreciate rides and attractions from movies/characters we do not know. We got a FP for NRiver and we got off and were like "what is so great?" The lights in the dark cool, but knowing disbey we expected way more rather than just some lights. We wouldn't ever wait for this ride and would only going we had some free time. We were so confused on the hype

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter