NBA at Walt Disney World

No thanks, I'll pass on that 'assignment'.

Seemingly hundreds of sports reporters have been fired over the last 3 months because there is no sports to cover. At least, not the sports that pay the bills. Same for freelancers.

Again, nothing about this situation is ideal. But journalists will have to choose between taking a job under less-than-ideal circumstances vs remaining unemployed or changing their career. Even before Covid, sports reporting is not exactly a high-paying field with plentiful opportunities.

People get into this field because of their love of sports. Reporters will be climbing over each other to take one of a handful of NBA bubble jobs. You could launch a career, being one of the few reporters with access to NBA players and coaches--who themselves will have more free time than usual--under these unique circumstances.

Sorry if I've missed it, but is there a chance if things improve they might allow fans for the conference finals? Or is the agreement written in a way that leaves no room to change policy? I know allowing fans in breaks the bubble, but if it was limited enough I see no reason the players/staff couldn't still be kept completely out of guest areas. No fans in the first 15 rows or so with social distancing in the rest of the seats. 30% capacity maybe. Bus the players in to where they only ever touch the locker rooms and court. Who am I kidding, even if they did that tickets would be insane.

The reporter assignment isn't THAT bad I don't think. No one is going to pay for the room on their own. It will only be the big boys who can afford to pay for their staff's room. No way an independent reporter can afford $200 a night to write about the NBA. That's 20k just for the room for 3 months. Maybe they will be heavily discounted but I can't see it much cheaper than that.

Sorry if I've missed it, but is there a chance if things improve they might allow fans for the conference finals? Or is the agreement written in a way that leaves no room to change policy? I know allowing fans in breaks the bubble, but if it was limited enough I see no reason the players/staff couldn't still be kept completely out of guest areas. No fans in the first 15 rows or so with social distancing in the rest of the seats. 30% capacity maybe. Bus the players in to where they only ever touch the locker rooms and court. Who am I kidding, even if they did that tickets would be insane.

The reporter assignment isn't THAT bad I don't think. No one is going to pay for the room on their own. It will only be the big boys who can afford to pay for their staff's room. No way an independent reporter can afford $200 a night to write about the NBA. That's 20k just for the room for 3 months. Maybe they will be heavily discounted but I can't see it much cheaper than that.
I doubt it.

Seemingly hundreds of sports reporters have been fired over the last 3 months because there is no sports to cover. At least, not the sports that pay the bills. Same for freelancers.

Again, nothing about this situation is ideal. But journalists will have to choose between taking a job under less-than-ideal circumstances vs remaining unemployed or changing their career. Even before Covid, sports reporting is not exactly a high-paying field with plentiful opportunities.

People get into this field because of their love of sports. Reporters will be climbing over each other to take one of a handful of NBA bubble jobs. You could launch a career, being one of the few reporters with access to NBA players and coaches--who themselves will have more free time than usual--under these unique circumstances.

My 69 year old father has had to drive an hour to and from work in NYC Mon-Fri during the shut down. He has heart and lung issues from working at ground zero after 9/11. Not to mention theres history of heart disease in his family. Hes almost as high risk as it gets between age and ailments. He also hasn’t gotten to see any of his children, or his 8 month old grand daughter in the same time period. Not once has he complained about it. Sure, he’s in a position where he doesnt have to work another day in his life, but that doesnt mean that he wants to retire. If he decided not to go in to work during the shut down and got fired, he’d be devastated and wouldn’t know what to do with himself. He’s not happy about not being able to see me, or my 3 sisters, or my niece, but its what he needs to do to be able to keep working.

Sometimes life throws you a curveball, and in this case, the whole world got the curveball. Some people have been out of work since March 14th, some won’t be going back to their place of employment when their job opens back up. Yes, the situation sucks. But its not like these journalists are the only ones impacted by this. As you said, if they don’t want to do the job, there are many people that would love the opportunity to jump right into their spot.

Sorry if I've missed it, but is there a chance if things improve they might allow fans for the conference finals?

I don't see that happening.

Right now there's an uprising of sorts from players who aren't comfortable with the 3 months of isolation. I believe there's a conference call today to discuss. Until now the league has been resistant to allow players out of the bubble, they certainly won't allow the general public in. (Though they may have to find some point of compromise on the player end.)

It will be interesting to hear how other players feel on the matter. One could argue that playing would give them a worldwide stage for promoting racial equality. And the NBA has been openly supportive of such things in the past.

Until this point, the NBPA has been representing the interests of players during negotiations with the league. Not sure why concerns weren't shared via team reps earlier in the process.

Big picture: if they cannot come to an agreement on this season, they league could void the CBA and they'll probably lose 2021 season as well. We're still in a pandemic. We won't have 20,000 people packing arenas in October, November or December. The league isn't going to allow another season to commence under terms currently negotiated. And if they cannot come to an agreement on modifications to save this season, there's little reason to be optimistic that minds will have changed by the fall.

Looks like not all of the details were worked out on the NBA "bubble" which is why the concerns are coming out now.

www.theringer.com

Maybe the NBA’s Return Won’t Be As Easy As It Seemed
Not to burst your bubble, but players are beginning to voice unease over restrictions and health protocols in the "campus environment" at Disney World
www.theringer.com
www.theringer.com

"But a closer look at the NBPA statement shows that the vote was strictly an approval of “further negotiations” with a caveat that “various details” were still to be negotiated. "

Seems there are 150 - 200 other players who agree with him. That's a substantial amount of support.

Gonna need a source with that claim. There were 80 players on the call tonight, and its not confirmed that all 80 of them are against the plan to go down to Orlando

Gonna need a source with that claim. There were 80 players on the call tonight, and its not confirmed that all 80 of them are against the plan to go down to Orlando

Do you have a source for your claim? If you have been following this at all, you would know that they were expecting 150 - 200 people on that call earlier today. . I know that it has now been reported that 80 players were on the call and not the 150 - 200 reportedly expected earlier today. The situation seems to be shifting by the day.

The important number is the amount of people that were on the call, not the number that was rumored earlier in the day. Your statement was made matter of factly stating there were 150-200 people behind him (47 minutes ago) after confirmation came that there were 80 people on the call. 1 of those 80 people, Donavon Mitchell told bleacher report to “stop it...” after tweeting that Mitchell was one of the players that didn’t want to play.

Whats the issue here? If they dont want to work, dont get paid. Potentially risk your contract. I have no ill will for those who are not comfortable working in this enviornment.

Whats the issue here? If they dont want to work, dont get paid. Potentially risk your contract. I have no ill will for those who are not comfortable working in this enviornment.

They do want to work. It’s only “several” players that don’t want to play. Not nearly enough to shut it all down. If Kyrie wants to quit and retire, then that’s on him. But he’s also not an active player going into this proposed play in and playoff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter