Need a new time of year...

We've done last week of August twice now. It's hot but the crowds are low which is a plus. But both times we were dodging hurricanes.

I've decided to try the first full week of November (Jersey week) for next years trip. I'm in NJ so the kids are out of school most of that week. My district closes Tuesday for election day and Thursday and Friday for the convention. The Monday and Wednesday are half days so it works out perfect. I'm excited for better weather (it's so HOT in August), F&W, MVMCP and to see some Christmas decorations.

I would love to go the first or second week of December but I can't pull DD out of school for an entire week. She doesn't want to miss that much school and I don't want to deal with homework while on vacation.

We’ve done every season and have ruled a few out for us; January can be too cold. August too hot (for my wife, son and I loved it). September too wet.

Early December has been good for reasons mentioned in other posts here but I think our best trips have been late April-early May. Moderate crowds. Reliably good weather.

January sounds so good right now. ::yes:: Not a fan of the humidity.

Planning on 12/30/18 - 1/3 or 1/4/19 to cover NY and Anniversary. Other than the NYE is WDW generally crowded the rest of that week?

JMHO, but:

mid august, if heat doesn't bother you - potential lower rates for onsite.

mid Dec or some weeks in Jan, if variable weather/ potential cold weather doesn't bother you - potential lower rates for onsite

some weeks in May, if you want nice weather and moderate crowds - potentially more reasonable rates for few down sides

Caveat:
There is no real 'slow' time at WDW anymore. Disney works hard to keep the place as full and busy as possible, year round. The 'best' times for low crowds are the times when there is a problem for people, such as August - September with heat and hurricane risks. Parents are pulling kids from school year round these days and avoiding the hot summer months and summer 'crowds'. Internet information has gotten the message out about what used to be slow times as well. It all combines to produce a much more even playing field for crowds.

It is always busy and really there is no more off season with crowd levels.
I'm looking at the various crowd calendars and I see low crowds at the end of January and most of September. I see April much lower than June/July. Four different calendars from four different sites. They seem to show that there is an off season. What am I missing?

I like February. But - one of my kids is a Christmas decoration nut, so December it is. We are sliding it back into early January this year.

The second going into the third week of December.
Low crowds, great weather,, lityle rainfall, Gorgeous Christmas decorations, MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, Minnie's Dine in HS, the countries in Epcot with Christmas specials.
This year that week would be the 9th - 17th.

We are going the 5th through the 14th. Used to go a week later, but noticed the Christmas crowd actually started picking up the week before Christmas week.

We went the last week of April this year and it was pretty perfect. Crowds were lower (but still DW crowds), and the weather was excellent every day. The resort rates were very reasonable, not many rides were down, and the Epcot flower and garden festival was really nice.

The only downside really is that new rides or lands normally open at the very end of May or very begining of June so you'll miss out on that.

We go the second week in December when we can. This year it's the 8th-14th. Although WDW is crowded all the time, going around these dates means the Thanksgiving crowds have already left and the Christmas crowds have yet to arrive. Gives us a fighting chance.

I wouldn't write off an entire month because of one Hurricane. The chances hurricanes directly hit Florida like Irma is VERY rare.

I've gone four different times since 2010.

I really enjoyed end of January as it was pretty low crowds and cool weather, but you have to deal with potential ride refurbishments.

We went this past year at the end of March (basically in the middle of the typical mid-March Spring break and Easter). It felt pretty great crowd-wise and was great weather-wise. I wouldn't have gone if we were going closer to Easter, that just seems crazy to do.

Early October was good weather but crazy packed.

Late August probably wouldn't work for you if you are looking to avoid hurricanes. It is still hurricane season and is just hot and humid (with daily storms). But crowds are low if you can stand the heat.

May is great time to visit WDW. We used to go at that time every year. Since becoming a DVC member, May has become a month with higher points and I always try to go when the points are the lowest to get the most out of them. So it's between Jan, Sep, early Oct - mid Nov, and most of December leading up to Christmas Eve. For me September - early October is out of the question because of the heat and since it's the most active time for Hurricanes. So for us it usually has been November - mid December for the most part. Next year looking forward to a short 4-5 night late Dec - early Jan trip...hopefully! This year is our first October trip so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I have gone Feb-too cold, Oct- very nice but busy , June- also very nice but my fav week is the one that includes Mother's Day and my birthday. I always go to brunch at AKL on Mother's day, it's the only day they have a brunch (as far as I know). I plan for about 1pm after spending the morning at AK. I have done EMH at MK, EPcot and DHS with virtually no people. Once at MK I thought I got into an area that was still closed! Using EMH (morning) in May I've been able to ride some of the busiest rides more than once before a line develops. I actually rode RNR at DHS 3 times with a family of four boys before anyone else showed up. Always great weather, it only rained once in about four trips in May. I like the F&G too, much less crowded than F&W and so much to see! Good Luck, you've been given some great options!

Late April and Mid November-bith warm enough for pools, light clothes and very low crowds. You have F & G at Epcot in April, spring break is over, and in Nov depending on the timing(not Thanksgiving) you can have F&W and MNSSHP or MVMCP, or both! Both are very low rain as well. If you want ALL the Christmas Decs then mid Dec. 9/10 to about the 17th this year. It is less crowded than the first week or so of Dec.

January sounds so good right now. ::yes:: Not a fan of the humidity.

I hear ya. We've just had a couple visits in January where it happened to be really cold. I rememeber one some years ago where I ended up at
the Walmart on 535 trying to buy winter clothes and they were just about cleaned out. I helped out one Brazilian couple who were very preplexed by the idea of winter long johns.
heh That's about what I remember most about that visit; everywhere we went there were shivering, suffering Brazilians. Guess we all just had some bad luck.

I was thinking Christmas time would be good, second week of December, or wait until 1st week of Feb.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter