Need advice! DS just got braces and doesn't want to eat.

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

My 11 yo just got braces on his teeth today and his mouth is so sore that he doesn't want to chew anything. I know from when I had braces that the pain does not last forever but does return each time the braces are tightened. My concern is that he is already a stringbean and I don't know how I'm going to get him through the next 2yrs or so nutritionally. I made him a milkshake and he had cream of chicken soup for dinner. Tommorrow I plan on getting some cans of Ensure. Does anyone else have any creative tips on things you were able to get your kids to eat when their mouth hurt so bad?

Thanks!

You are on the right track. My Mom (when I had a sore mouth from the braces) used to make Cream of Chicken soup with baked chicken over rice. The chicken was VERY tender so it was easy to eat.

I remember how bad it hurt
how about pudding or yogurt
really there isn't alot you can do for a couple of days a month

our grandkids both have had braces and out of braces the last four years......spaghetti o's goes down easy....so does oodles of noodles.....yuck to both of these suggestions...but the kids love them and it is to make sure he is at least eating something no matter HOW NOT nutrious they are......just something until he gets over the initial shock of having this in his mouth......

I recommend to eat soup, applesauce, yogurt, or anything else that is soft with not much of anything solid in it for a day or two. I had my braces on for about for 17 month's and just got more brackets and when you get used to them it wont really hurt much.:D I'm now 13. Does your child have a bite blate or a retainer? Hope this helps.:p

When my DS got his braces he ate only soup and milkshakes for 3 days! I never had them so I couldn't relate to the pain but he cried wanting me to take him back to get them off. I hope yours gets to feeling better soon.:(

Oh man, that pain is awful! It hurts!
I think you are on the right track with what you are giving him. Just make sure he <U>drinks</U> - preferably juice, milk, milkshakes... that kind of thing to get some nutrients in him.
He'll do fine, especially with a caring mom like you. :)

those first few days after braces are tightened can be painful. I mom always made me soft things....soups, puddings, milkshakes, mashed potatoes. It just hurts too much sometimes to chew.

I got mine on at 38, ow ow ow. But they didn't hurt everytime they were adjusted, maybe your son will have the same luck.

Mmmmm, ice cream, popsicles, dreamsicles, fudgesicles, pudding, milk shakes........... gosh none of that is nutritious, but he won't stare for a couple of days on that.

Crazymomof4, My 11 yr old, Alex, got braces in Jan.! The ortho's office suggested giving him Tylenol an hour before getting his braces tightened and to treat with additonal Tylenol if they continued to hurt the day they're tightened. If his mouth is too sour, don't worry about him not eating that day, he will make up for it the next day. I asked my Alex if he had any advice for your DS and he said to tell him the pain will not last!:D

TC:cool:

Everytime my son had his tightened, I would fix spaghetti and cut his up so fine all he had to do was swallow it. Also, I always gave him Tylenol before his appointment, so that he had some pain reliever already in his system.

Sandy

Deviled eggs, egg salad, scrambled eggs?

Cake -- not very nutricious, but soft.

Mashed potatoes?

Cheese ravioli?

Cottage cheese?

When DD had braces, in addition to things mentioned, she ate mashed potato bowls and some of the things at taco bell are soft.

The day after she went to a picnic and ate lots of watermelon. Smores too.

soup
mashed potatoes
applesauce
yogurt
ice cream
pudding
refried beans

after the first day, if they still are hurting, try:
a rice dish
deviled ham or beef sandwiches
cheese spread sandwiches
a soft casserole
canned fruit such as soft peaches

My kids found they could usually eat after the first day or so if they were careful. I always made sandwiches that they could easily tear "bites" off of with their fingers so they wouldn't have to bite.

I've been through 2 skinny kids with braces. Trust me, they will survive. My younger one still has them. Yes they hurt like heck the first time they are put on and every time they are tightened, but it usually goes away within a couple of days. Their orthodondist is a real character. The day they are put on he hands them a box of Mac and cheese when they leave his office. They also get an inmate t-shirt for Dr. *****'s correctional institute for teeth. When they get them off they get a paroled t-shirt. He tries to make it fun, but it still hurts!! Everything everyone already suggested is great. He will get used to them pretty quickly, hang in there and Good Luck to your son and you!!

Andy kind of eggs, pancakes, ripe pears and other soft fruits, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, baked beans. All the chunky soups have more substance and kind of melt in the mouth. Pasta, cooked well. Meatballs, soft bread. Cold things, like ice cream etc. Pudding, jello, rice.

Things he can eat by pressing the food between his tongue and the roof of his mouth.

My 12 year old DS just got his on Friday. He also got a bite plate put on behind the top two front teeth to keep him from grinding his teeth and popping the braces off. His biggest problem is that now his top and bottom teeth don't meet anywhere and he can't chew things because there is a nice sized gap!

I am 33 years old and just got braces six weeks ago. The first few days I ate soup (chicken and stars soup can be sucked down without chewing!), yogurt, and soft grilled cheese sandwiches. Of course, I ate the sandwiches by cutting it into pieces - I was way too sore to ever dream of biting into anything!

Does your DS have dental wax? Is part of the soreness from the wires/brackets/bands rubbing his mouth? Dental wax can really help in those sore spots.

Good luck to your DS - at least he's "paying his dues" to the orthodontist when he is young! Wish I did!

DD just got her braces off yesterday after 18 months.:bounce: We quickly learned that motrin before the adjustment appointment helped, but she also needed to continue on motrin for at least a day, sometimes 2 with each adjustment. All the suffering was well worth it - her smile is just beautiful now! Good Luck!

When my DD's had braces, our orthodontist gave them this recipe to use on the days following their appointments:

ORTHODONTIC MILKSHAKE

1 envelope Carnation Instant Breakfast, any flavor
1 banana
1 c. milk
2 c. ice cream

Combine first 3 ingredients in blender. Add ice cream and blend.

Because this is made with instant breakfast vs. chocolate syrup, it has a little more nutritional value. The recipe can be cut in half.

My daughter just got her braces off. Any kind of soft foods for a while, then he'll be alright. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter