Need advice! DS just got braces and doesn't want to eat.

My 12 year old just had braces put on her bottom teeth this morning. She has had braces on her top teeth for over two years and her dentist added more brackets to the top this morning as well. The dentist suggested Tylenol or Advil for the next day or two. Her mouth is a little sore and she has only eaten some applesauce so far today. She is on the thin side also, but I remember with her top braces that within a few days she was pretty much eating anything. I bet within a few days your son will be much better.
:D

Thanks so much for all of your kind replies!!
My DS and I read through all of them together and made up a list of foods to go by during these painful times.
He was encouraged to read many saying that the pain does not last.
Have a great day!:)

Instead of using ambesol for mouth pain, I've found that the throat sprays work better. :) It's a more total mouth numbing that the ambesol, which works great for a localized pain.

What I found amazing was that when I had braces (back in the 70's and wire around each bracket on each tooth were the norm), they seemed to hurt A LOT more than my DS is experiencing. :rolleyes: There hasn't been many times during routine visits that he is in pain. I remember ALWAYS being in pain after each visit. :(

Colleen A.~ Thank you for the tip about the throat spray. I never would have thought of that. I'm sure, ounce for ounce, it's more economical too!

Glad to of helped!! :) I've also found that the store brand versions work as well as the name brand! ;) Oh yeah...the red tastes much better than the green!! :eek:

Colleen A.~I always give the store brand of anything a shot first. Will go for the red.
PS -you have a nice looking family!

Most kids (and adults) I know love Jamba Juice. Not that he could have that for every meal, but it's nutritious and filling. Or perhaps you could make your own smoothies at home?

Thanks! :o My son, who has the braces, replied to this on the first page as well (stuntfreak).:p Dan posted a picture of us he had taken in MGM when he welcomed my kids to the DIS (DD Jeana is posting under PA Tigger :rolleyes: getting hard to get board time!!). His picture is REALLY good, but then again....can Dan Murphy EVER take a bad picture!!! :bounce:

I agree with all of the above suggestions, esp. mashed potatos! I lived on those for a while!!!
I learned the hard way that biting into things hurts alot, even when you think its better!! I would be careful of things like pizza and hamburgers. The pressure it puts on your front teeth is worse than just chewing!! I remember taking a bite out of pizza and running to the kitchen to spit it out cause it hurt me so bad!!! If you cut it into smaller parts and then eat it, it is much better!
The pain wont last too long! I hope he's feeling better soon!!:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter