Need Ideas For Leftover Roast Beef

LOVETHATMOUSE

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>*~*Some LOVE from
I MADE A GREAT ROAST BEEF LAST NIGHT FOR DINNER. I THREW LIPTON'S ONION SOUP MIX OVER IT AND JUST BAKED IT UNTIL DONE. THE SOUP MIX ALSO HELPED IN MAKING A GREAT GRAVY TOO!

THE ONLY PROBLEM WAS I BOUGHT A ROAST TOO BIG FOR US TO FINISH AND HAVE ABOUT 1/2 LEFT OVER (YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE ROASTS ARE ON SALE - THE BIGGER THE BETTER :) ). NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT - I USUALLY HAVE ENOUGH LEFTOVERS FOR A LUNCH SANDWICH, BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR THAT.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT - POSSIBLY A CASSEROLE OR SOMETHING? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

How about hot roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy? My family loves that one.

Or I sometimes make what my mom called hash from leftover roast. Cube some of the meat and put it in a pan with a chopped onion and some water. Cook until the onion is cooked and the flavors have blended. Cube several potatoes and add to the "broth" and meat. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Season to taste. Serve with crackers, biscuits or warm bread. Simple and very good. I don't know why this couldn't be made in a crockpot if you want. I have never tried it, but I would think it would work quite well.

THANKS MERRYPOPPINS - I HAVE A LOT, MAYBE ENOUGH FOR BOTH IDEAS. CAN THE HASH BE COOKED, THEN FROZEN? OR IS IT BETTER TO FREEZE THE MEAT AND USE LATER?

Freeze some to throw into vegetable soup to make Vegetable Beef Soup!

TK

My mother always made what she called chow mein when she had those kind of leftovers.

Saute some clelery & onion. Open cans of bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mushrooms & bean sprouts. Add small pieces of sliced beef & some of the broth/gravy from the roast. (If you cooked carrots with the roast, add them, too.) Add a little soy sauce & heat until warm throughout. Top with chow mein noodles.

I usually make what you probably call Pot Pie - that's something different around here, so we just call it Beef Pie.

Layer in a casserole:
Pieces of sliced beef
Pieces of carrot & potatoe from roast
Add defrosted, frozen veggies - either mixed or whatever suits your fancy
Add canned potatoes, sliced - or nuke frsh potatoes until soft, then cut & add
Mix a can of tomato soup with about 1/2 can of water, spices to taste (garlic, salt, pepper, ???)then pour over everything.
Top with a pie crust & bake at 425 for 20 min.
This was originally in the Betty Crocker cookbook.

If you want to cube some roast and freeze it, that would be great. I don't think I would make the hash and freeze it, because the potatoes would get mushy. Mmmmm. The chow mein sounds good. I'll remember that one.

I usually make a large roast and then freeze part. I have found it tastes better if you include some of the gravy when you freeze.

For leftovers, I love hot roast beef sandwiches also. Sometimes I'll shred it and toss with taco seasoning, water and a bit of salsa for tacos or enchiladas. I also like it shredded and tossed with teriyaki sauce or some Good Seasons Italian dressing (the powdered stuff) and a bit of water. With either sauce, add some water and let it simmer a bit. I serve it on toasted buns.

Try sauting some onion in large frying pan. Add some cubed cooked potatoes and small pieces of leftover beef. Heat until warm. Prepare eggs as you would for scrambling and pour over beef mixture. Scramble eggs until done. We never had a name for this dish but the flavor of the beef/onion/potatoe with the eggs was yummy and made a hearty dinner after a long day working outside. Pass the ketchup!

Here's something easy that we love. Slices of roast beef, heated a little if you like, on slices of bread. Cover with hot gravy.

How about BBQ beef sandwiches and sliced steak salad.

Here is a salad dressing recipe for the steak salad.

Tangy Dressing

3/4 c water
2 tsp cornstarch
3 Tbs vinegar
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs Dijion mustard
1 tsp basil
3/4 tsp salt

Mix water and cornstarch in 1-quart sauce pan. Heat to boiling over med-heat, stirring frquently until mixture is thickened. cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat until warm. Pour over salad.

I was going to recommend BBQ sandwiches. You can use bottled sauce if you want.

I do once-a-month cooking, and pot roast freezes great. Just divide into portions your family can eat at one sitting and freeze in freezer bags. Use within 4-6 weeks for best quality.

Shepard's pie is good. Dice up the meat, top with whatever veggies you like (peas would be good) then put mashed potatoes on top.

In the winter time, I always buy too big a roast so that I will have leftovers. I use the leftovers to make a big pot pie. You can do it all from scratch, but this is what I do:

I "chunk up" the roast, and mix it with any leftover gravy and a 10 oz bag of frozen peas and carrots. I cut up all my leftover new potatoes, and freeze them until pot pie time, then mix them in, too. If there is not enough gravy, I mix a packet of instant brown gravy, and throw that in. Put a pie crust in a pie pan, throw the mixture in, put another crust on top, slit the top for venting, and bake at 350 until the crust is golden, and the pie is bubbly.

It makes a great hearty meal on a cold winter night!

I'm a sandwich person so I'd make a few sandwiches & give some to ROVER!:D

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT IDEAS. I ENDED UP FREEZING SOME (WITH THE GRAVY OVER IT) AND MAKING POT PIES OUT OF THE REST. DELICIOUS!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter