New Beauty and the Beast

My daughter and I saw it tonight. It's my new favorite movie. Absolutely loved it! I wasn't sure I would love Emma as Belle because she has always been Hermione to me, but she was wonderful in this movie. If I can't be Belle, I'm glad it's Emma. As for her singing voice, I've survived Pierce Brosnan in Mama Mia and Russell Crowe in Les Mis; Emma's voice in this film is lovely. I also thoroughly enjoyed the new additions to the story, and normally I'm not a big fan of someone changing up beloved movies or books. These additions were well done and added depth to the characters and their stories. We will be going back next week to see this movie again. I'm already lobbying to increase the size of our tv before the blu-ray comes out because this movie is so visually stunning that it deserves a larger screen than my tiny tv. Doubt it will happen since we tend to use things until they die. Hence, the return to the theater to see it again. We don't have a 3D option at our theater, and now I'm very bummed about that after reading these posts.

I saw the movie this afternoon. I have to say I really liked it. You have to remember. We are comparing a cartoon to a live action show. Go watch it like it is a new show. Try not to compare the too. Go with an open mind.
Could have been a lot worse. Example, Master of the Universe, now that was a butcher movie.

I couldn't agree with you more. When the first trailer with Emma Watson singing came out I was so angry. Why the heck would they cast an actress who can't sing as the lead in a musical?! Disney has always been about hiring people who are the best at their craft. Why all of the sudden lower their standards and incorporate obnoxiously massive amounts of auto tune? Since when do they hire an actor to sing who is incapable of performing their songs live? (Which is why they have Josh Gadd and Luke Evans performing live in all of the publicity events and no Emma Watson). I find it baffling that the same studio that searched high and low for the perfect Moana, that cast Nicole Scherzinger just to sing two lines, that prides itself in hiring Broadway performers for their park and cruise shows, would put out such an embarrassingly sub par musical product. I don't understand how the executives didn't listen to it and say "there is no way we're putting this out". And it irritates me that people feel compelled to defend Watson..."she's doing her best"...it's her job! She was paid millions of dollars - more than most of us will make in a lifetime - to do a job she's not trained to do, as if there's a lack of actresses who can sing in Hollywood. In interviews, the director made it very clear he hired her because of her speech at the UN, and this makes me very worried about the Disney movies moving forward. I expect the highest level of craftsmanship from Disney movies, not cheap PR tricks.

Hiring great vocalists is much easier when it is an animated film where you don't have to worry about the look of vocalist. That said, I don't think I want to go to the theater to see this movie in large part for that reason. And as much as I have said it, I'll say it again, I do not buy that Gaston from the previews. I think of Gaston as one of my favorite villains just because he seems so larger than life, and I don't get that at all from the previews. To me, this was the toughest remake they have had to do so far in that I think this is the first movie to have lots of iconic songs. I'll see it eventually and who knows, it may exceed my expectations. But the Dispop review does not give me high hopes (I was pretty excited for this til the previews started rolling out).

Hiring great vocalists is much easier when it is an animated film where you don't have to worry about the look of vocalist. That said, I don't think I want to go to the theater to see this movie in large part for that reason. And as much as I have said it, I'll say it again, I do not buy that Gaston from the previews. I think of Gaston as one of my favorite villains just because he seems so larger than life, and I don't get that at all from the previews. To me, this was the toughest remake they have had to do so far in that I think this is the first movie to have lots of iconic songs. I'll see it eventually and who knows, it may exceed my expectations. But the Dispop review does not give me high hopes (I was pretty excited for this til the previews started rolling out).

I really thought Gaston was one of the best actors in the film. He did a great job and can actually sing! Go see it. I'm fairly certain it will be at its most impressive in the theater.

Last edited:

The DIS Pop review is the opinion of two men who saw the movie out of how many out there in the world. I wouldn't base going or not going on it.

The DIS Pop review is the opinion of two men who saw the movie out of how many out there in the world. I wouldn't base going or not going on it.
Exactly, I listened to another Podcast review of it and they basically were the exact opposite of Craig and Ryno. It's really your personal opinion and what you enjoy not someone else's.

Amen, @*NikkiBell* and @rteetz !! I can't tell you the number of times I disagreed (sometimes quite firmly!) with reviews of things, even Academy-Award-nominated and/or winners! I may or may not even read the reviews before I go, but NEVER let them STOP me!! Opinions are just points of view, NOT facts, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

Amen, @*NikkiBell* and @rteetz !! I can't tell you the number of times I disagreed (sometimes quite firmly!) with reviews of things, even Academy-Award-nominated and/or winners! I may or may not even read the reviews before I go, but NEVER let them STOP me!! Opinions are just points of view, NOT facts, and everyone is entitled to theirs.
I didn't read/listen to a single review until after I saw the movie because I wanted to go in as "clean" as possible. I like Craig haven't seen the animated original for a few years either. Now while my opinion is different from Craig's that doesn't mean it is wrong.

Regarding Emma Watson, it would be no problem at all to have a separate vocalist sing instead of her. This has been done in many movies successfully, for instance My Fair Lady and Coyote Ugly. Instead, they used an insane amount of auto tune on her voice, meaning anyone who thinks her voice sounds lovely really has no idea what her voice actually sounds like...it's basically a robot.

Regarding Emma Watson, it would be no problem at all to have a separate vocalist sing instead of her. This has been done in many movies successfully, for instance My Fair Lady and Coyote Ugly. Instead, they used an insane amount of auto tune on her voice, meaning anyone who thinks her voice sounds lovely really has no idea what her voice actually sounds like...it's basically a robot.
Laura Osnes Would have been wonderful

I'd actually never heard of auto tune until Craig mentioned it in his review....

We got the soundtrack shortly after seeing the movie and listened several times on our subsequent vacation. It's now stuck in my head. I blame my daughter. :)

Yeah, Emma's voice was certainly processed to within an inch of its life, but I did enjoy her Belle none the less. I'm not expecting miracles and they clearly cast her for her ability to walk the line between tough and enchanting as she did so often in the Potter franchise. At least they got that part right. It would have been even more jarring if they had hired a Broadway level singer who didn't command the screen when she wasn't singing. Just sayin ...
I really enjoyed Luke Evans as Gaston though. I thought the edge he gave the character was just right. And who couldn't love Mister Fishoeder (Kevin Kline) as doddering Dad?

As far as the recent live action remakes go, I rank this one just below Cinderella which I found delightful in every way. Comparing any of them to the animated originals is pretty pointless to me, so I'm not going to even bother with that.

Yeah, Emma's voice was certainly processed to within an inch of its life, but I did enjoy her Belle none the less. I'm not expecting miracles and they clearly cast her for her ability to walk the line between tough and enchanting as she did so often in the Potter franchise. At least they got that part right. It would have been even more jarring if they had hired a Broadway level singer who didn't command the screen when she wasn't singing. Just sayin ...
I really enjoyed Luke Evans as Gaston though. I thought the edge he gave the character was just right. And who couldn't love Mister Fishoeder (Kevin Kline) as doddering Dad?

As far as the recent live action remakes go, I rank this one just below Cinderella which I found delightful in every way. Comparing any of them to the animated originals is pretty pointless to me, so I'm not going to even bother with that.

The thing is I found her acting flat as well :duck:she seemed bored and stiff to me. If they didn't want to go the route of having a separate actress and vocalist there are plenty of singing actresses who have trained their entire lives to be top notch at both. Disney didn't have to pick between great acting vs. great singing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter