New DVC Member - Perspective of a Direct Buyer

If you're happy with your purchase, resort, UY and points then that's great!! Welcome Home!

To me it boils down to personal preference and finances. I personally have more time than money so spending an additional $10k would not be an option. But if the OP can and wants to do it...more power to him!

OP, based on your comments the Poly is the resort for your family and you have given your reasons why you are buying direct. What if the Poly was not available direct?

Can't really say. I suspect initially we would have bought CCV direct, but whether or not we would have then switched upon further examination of all the factors... I don't know. Certainly couldn't say for sure either way since it's not a decision I was faced with or took time to analyze.

And just to clarify for anyone making considerations who's read this far into the thread... Somewhere on this thread it was adopted that I opted to pay an extra $10k to buy direct. That's absolutely NOT the case.

Could I have spent $10k less and still gotten a 120-point contract? Well, yes. But at a resort like HH, VB or SS... none of which would make any sense for me to have as my home resort. And I'd be VERY unlikely to get full 2016 points in such a deal, so then I'd likely be paying out of pocket for my 2018 vacation. (Yes, I know I could borrow or use 2018 points, but we're already planning a big trip in 2019 that's going to need those points, so the plan is to bank our 2016 points to pay for the 2018 trip in its entirety.) So even then I'm not saving the full $10k.

As I pointed out earlier, with all factors taken into account, I probably paid about $1,500 extra to buy Poly direct instead of resale. So the bigger premium I'm paying is to have Poly as my home resort. Whether or not that's worth it is a larger discussion for a different thread, one that I imagine has been had countless times to this point, so I won't even debate it here.

For me, personally, the extra money spent for direct -- around $1,500 -- is worth it. Yes, technically it may not take that long to go through the actual clicking, signing and mailing of the resale process, but for the 30+ days it took from start to finish it is ALL I would think about, to the detriment of other aspects of my life that demand my attention. Call that a character flaw if you will, but I know myself too well at this point.

I am comfortable and confident with my decision, and the suggestions and advice here -- both friendly and "curmudgeonly" alike -- have helped me both scrutinize and solidify my stance.

Congrats and welcome home! Have you decided direct or resale for when you eventually add on?

OP- Just curious when your MF start? Are they pro-rated for the remainder of this year or will they not be due until 2018?

Could I have spent $10k less and still gotten a 120-point contract? Well, yes. But at a resort like HH, VB or SS... none of which would make any sense for me to have as my home resort. And I'd be VERY unlikely to get full 2016 points in such a deal, so then I'd likely be paying out of pocket for my 2018 vacation.
You could have saved $7,000 buying BLT, which seems like it would have been a better fit for you.

I had a deal on a contract with 2015 points a couple months back. It's unfair to say "VERY unlikely" without reviewing actual data. There are many contracts available with full current points and several with banked points.

For me, personally, the extra money spent for direct -- around $1,500 -- is worth it. Yes, technically it may not take that long to go through the actual clicking, signing and mailing of the resale process, but for the 30+ days it took from start to finish it is ALL I would think about, to the detriment of other aspects of my life that demand my attention. Call that a character flaw if you will, but I know myself too well at this point.

I am comfortable and confident with my decision, and the suggestions and advice here -- both friendly and "curmudgeonly" alike -- have helped me both scrutinize and solidify my stance.

This is an excellent point - if the Poly is the resort you want, then buying direct is not much more expensive than buying resale. I really like your last sentence, and I'm glad to see you are taking the "How could you!" posts in stride...these sort of come along with posting on the internet, right?

We stayed at the Poly on our AKV points in 2015 and while I really loved it, the main issue I had with it is how many points it cost per night. I realize it's the Poly and the rooms are big, so you are paying a "premium" to stay there. One thing that took me a while to realize after awhile is the value of my points. That I can stay at AKV for say 12 points a night, or stay at the Poly for the same night for 19 points, while I like the Poly better, I really like AKV, and being limited to our number of points (160) allows me to go for 12 nights at AKV or say 8 nights at the Poly, even if both resorts are available, I'm going to choose AKV more often than not.

I only really mention this because I think you made the right choice for you and your family, but it was ALSO the right choice to start with a smaller contract. Once you use it a few times, you will find whether you prefer a different resort, or whether you want more direct points at the newest resorts.

(The only thing that I would suggest as being truly crazy is buying older resorts direct from Disney. If you buy Boardwalk at $168 a points you are still only getting 25 years left on the contract, and the contract immediately devalues to $95. I've pointed out before, as the older contracts start winding down, they are going to no longer hold value. Right now it's 25 years, but 10 years from now it will be 15 years, and another 10 their will be 5 years left, at which point these $95 per point contract are going to be worth maybe $20 a point. meanwhile, your Poly contract will retain much more value 20 years from now.)

Can't really say. I suspect initially we would have bought CCV direct, but whether or not we would have then switched upon further examination of all the factors... I don't know. Certainly couldn't say for sure either way since it's not a decision I was faced with or took time to analyze.

And just to clarify for anyone making considerations who's read this far into the thread... Somewhere on this thread it was adopted that I opted to pay an extra $10k to buy direct. That's absolutely NOT the case.

Could I have spent $10k less and still gotten a 120-point contract? Well, yes. But at a resort like HH, VB or SS... none of which would make any sense for me to have as my home resort. And I'd be VERY unlikely to get full 2016 points in such a deal, so then I'd likely be paying out of pocket for my 2018 vacation. (Yes, I know I could borrow or use 2018 points, but we're already planning a big trip in 2019 that's going to need those points, so the plan is to bank our 2016 points to pay for the 2018 trip in its entirety.) So even then I'm not saving the full $10k.

As I pointed out earlier, with all factors taken into account, I probably paid about $1,500 extra to buy Poly direct instead of resale. So the bigger premium I'm paying is to have Poly as my home resort. Whether or not that's worth it is a larger discussion for a different thread, one that I imagine has been had countless times to this point, so I won't even debate it here.

I want to be careful with my comments here because I want to be clear that I am not questioning your motives or your decision. You've said that you are comfortable with your decision and I respect that. That being said, I am going to respectfully disagree with some of your assumptions, because I think they are skewed. That's fine if it's what you base you decision on, but I would hate to think that someone else comes along and reads your thoughts and uses it as a road map for their process.

The real advantage for owning at the Poly is the 11 month booking window on Lake View Studios. That's pretty much it. Standard view studios and Bungalows have great availability at the 7 month mark, which means that you don't need the home resort advantage for those rooms. You've also stated that you mostly travel in January in May, two lower demand times of the year for DVC. So, on an emotional level, on a satisfaction of ownership level, the Poly is the right home resort for you. But from a strict use standpoint, it is not the most efficient path to ownership.

While your math is a bit fuzzy, you are essentially correct that the difference between a resale Poly purchase and a direct Poly Purchase is in the neighborhood of around $1,500. I would suggest that the range is $1,500-$4,000 depending on various factors. What you glance over is the fact that your next best alternative was not the Poly resale, it was SSR or BLT. These are two of the lowest long term cost resorts, and SSR offers a much lower entry cost and BLT offers you the safety of being on the monorail loop at the 11 month mark. Using these two resorts as a comparison, you actually did spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000-$10,000 more than you could have. Not should have, but could have. That would have been the most efficient means of entry into DVC. However, it is NOT the path of entry that you were comfortable with. So I would just say that and leave it be. When you start to use the numbers to make your point, you're going to "lose" the discussion.

Here's an extreme example of what I'm talking about. I recently bought a 300 point DEC UY VB contract for $50 a point all in (maintenance fees and closing costs included). It came with all 2015 banked, 2016 current and 2017 points. I rented out all the points and my net cost of ownership was $11 per point. (I am aware of this being done enough times to consider this a statistically significant example...these contracts are out there). I don't use this as an example because there are a number of factors that makes this contract right for me but wrong for so many people. But despite the higher maintenance fees, the fact that it's off property, and the fact that it's a large contract and you want a small contract, I still win on the math every time. My cost of entry into DVC was $3,300 and at the 7 month window I can book every room that everyone else can.

One last thought, and this is not aimed specifically to anyone. I think that all in all both sides of this discussion have been respectful in sharing their thoughts and opinions, and most if not all are shared with the best of intentions. To refer to those who disagree as "curmudgeonly" is a little disrespectful. We're all here to help. You took a risk to put your thoughts out there, and others took a risk choosing to disagree.

You could have saved $7,000 buying BLT, which seems like it would have been a better fit for you.

I had a deal on a contract with 2015 points a couple months back. It's unfair to say "VERY unlikely" without reviewing actual data. There are many contracts available with full current points and several with banked points.

Yes, to be fair, while many contracts available are stripped, there are enough contracts available with upcoming points, current points, and/or banked points that the initial cost of ownership is significantly mitigated.

Hi NYDisneyDad,

Add me to the list of people who are saying thank you for your thoughtful post...and also to the list suggesting reconsidering your purchase.

My quick and dirty story: We decided on our last trip, over Thanksgiving 2016, to buy in to DVC. Our favorite resort is Wilderness Lodge...after touring Poly and hearing the pitch from our guide (who was terrible, in contrast to yours), we decided to buy a resale at Boulder Ridge.

While we were on vacation, I called a resale broker at the Timeshare Store recommended by a friend. We were fortunate to stumble on a 150 point Boulder Ridge contract they listed 3 days later. It was overpriced at $98/point. We put in an offer on December 3, had a response within 2 hours, counteroffered $1 less per point, and it was accepted on December 4. The whole process was not remotely time-consuming.

We bought 150 points for $88/share -- almost half of the price for the Polynesian. We got 50 2015 points (which I later rented for $650 because we didn't have time to use them), 150 2016 points, and 150 2017 points. I am currently booking a trip for January 2018 and hoping to get a 3br villa at Copper Creek for 500 points, all from this original purchase.

There's a huge difference between 2 studios and one 1 bedroom -- the full kitchen and washer and dryer. Poly was out for us for a number of reasons, but it was clear that we would outgrow the studios quickly.

Just throwing this out there because as others have said, I don't know that you will be that happy with your Poly purchase. And you can spend the same amount and get a whole lot more by going another route.

Either way, welcome home!

A different analogy occurs to me - one I think I've used before. Not perfect but it comes back to the used vs new car analogy - which I think works poorly.

To me the difference between buying direct and resale is more the difference between buying a Toyota Camry and a Lexus. The Camry you can buy for $25,000 while the Lexus will cost you $50,000. Both are great vehicles with wonderful features. However, the Lexus is a bit nicer. It's got better extras (heating/cooling seats for example), a nicer ride, better service at the dealer. Many people would argue that the Lexus isn't worth twice the money of the Camry for those benefits you get owning the Lexus. However, there are plenty of people that are still going to choose the Lexus over the Camry.

Edit: And my personal reasoning, I can buy two Camrys for the price of a Lexus = I can buy 300 points at AKV for the price of 130 points at the Poly.

Another analogy is buying the Lexus new from the dealer with the fancy office, free beverages, suck up treatment, perks and service at $50,000.

Buy a used Lexus from another car lot, no perks, less suck up, for thousands less.

:earsboy: Bill

See I never liked the new versus used analogy simply because of this...If I buy into say BLT from Disney or buy from resale, both those contracts have the exact same "mileage" on them. In other words, the year they expire is going to be the same. It's easy to argue a new Lexus is better than a 10 year old Lexus with 100,000 miles on it - the new Lexus ought to last longer. A "used" BLT membership is good until 2060, the same as a "new" one. They both give you 11-month priority, they both give you 7-month priority at other resorts. There is literally no difference between them except (a) One you pay perhaps a 50% premium on ($168 / point direct versus $110 / point resale), (b) other point usage options and (c) membership perks. Most agree (b) means nothing, so it's just the value that you give to the perks.

A different analogy occurs to me - one I think I've used before. Not perfect but it comes back to the used vs new car analogy - which I think works poorly.

To me the difference between buying direct and resale is more the difference between buying a Toyota Camry and a Lexus. The Camry you can buy for $25,000 while the Lexus will cost you $50,000. Both are great vehicles with wonderful features. However, the Lexus is a bit nicer. It's got better extras (heating/cooling seats for example), a nicer ride, better service at the dealer. Many people would argue that the Lexus isn't worth twice the money of the Camry for those benefits you get owning the Lexus. However, there are plenty of people that are still going to choose the Lexus over the Camry.

Edit: And my personal reasoning, I can buy two Camrys for the price of a Lexus = I can buy 300 points at AKV for the price of 130 points at the Poly.
I agree with you, I'm not a big fan of the used car vs. new car analogy. But with all due respect I don't think I'm a huge fan of the Toyota vs. Lexus analogy either. While one may argue that certain DVC resorts may be nicer than others, they are all in the Deluxe category. Also, when it comes down to the fundamental use of DVC, namely using points to book a room, they all function in the exact same way. 11 month priority at one resort, 7 month availability at all the others. If you buy AKV, you still have the likely potential to stay at the Poly, just not the priority. If you buy the Toyota, that's what you're driving, never the Lexus.

I think to build on your analogy, buying a lesser expensive resort is like buying a Toyota and having a 50-70% chance of going out to your driveway each morning and finding a Lexus in its place. That being said, while I love analogies, I think that DVC is such a nuanced product that we do ourselves a disservice when trying to compare it to other items such as homes, cars, or in the case of this thread appliances. There's a very complicated comparison that we are glancing over when we do this, and it's a multi-variable comparison. It's expensive direct vs. inexpensive direct vs. expensive resale vs. inexpensive resale. The savings get greater the further along you go. In the case of this thread, it's Poly direct vs. Poly resale vs. any other resort resale. When we just compare one option to another and leave out the third, I think we are missing a very important part of the analysis.

When you purchase a more expensive home resort over a less expensive one, such as Poly over SSR (whether direct or resale) the ONLY benefit you are getting for that extra money is the elimination of uncertainty. To many people, probably to most people, that is money well spent. But the risk takers, those who purchase VB for $45 a point and hope to get on property at the 7 month window, stand to gain the most when they use those $45 points to book the same room at BLT that I used my $115 points to book. And good for them if it works, I think that's great. :)

Last edited:
Interesting thread. What it comes right down to is that the main thing you are getting with your purchase is the home resort 11 month booking advantage. As numerous people have said, popular rooms are getting really hard to book past the 7 month mark now.

I am pretty frugal when it comes to spending money, so most of my points are at SSR. I bought them because of the low purchase price and low MF, but I also own some BWV because that is my preferred location. What I do most trips is book BWV at 11 months and then at 7 months see what is available to switch to using my SSR points. Even if there isn't anything else that I want I am still at BWV. Now with my BWV points I never use them to book elsewhere.

So for me owning at my preferred resort plus owning some cheap points for trading has worked out pretty good.

Another analogy is buying the Lexus new from the dealer with the fancy office, free beverages, suck up treatment, perks and service at $50,000.

Buy a used Lexus from another car lot, no perks, less suck up, for thousands less.

:earsboy: Bill
Yes, but I would find it difficult going back to the new dealer for servicing, with my car that was purchased elsewhere from a used dealer.

I'll agree that the analogies don't really work... When I said in my initial post that we buy new over used, it was more to a point of process. We generally prefer the direct route of buying "what's on the rack" as it were. Didn't meant to actually make a comparison.

Which leads me back to my number one reason for buying direct... Zero uncertainty or hassle. Buying direct I had the contracts signed and done right away, with no question that I might or might not get exactly what I want. I was willing to pay more for that. While buying resale may not be difficult, it's still not automatic. Even if unlikely, things could go wrong between offer and closing. And even if everything works out fine (as I'm sure it usually does), that time of uncertainty would still carry a non-financial, not-really-measurable cost.

For many, many other people the direct route over resale isn't going to make sense. But for a myriad of reasons I've already gone into, it made sense for me.

Now for an add-on, I'd likely go resale. But we'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Yes, but I would find it difficult going back to the new dealer for servicing, with my car that was purchased elsewhere from a used dealer.

Believe me, the dealership will gladly take your money, regardless of where you bought the car. To extend that to DVC, the people at MS are very nice to me on the phone, even though I bought resale. :)

Now for an add-on, I'd likely go resale. But we'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Oh you'll come to it alright, the only question is when. :)

Believe me, the dealership will gladly take your money, regardless of where you bought the car. To extend that to DVC, the people at MS are very nice to me on the phone, even though I bought resale. :)

My point wasn't that the car dealer wouldn't take my money. It was that I personally would not feel comfortable walking into a car dealer that sells the exact same car that I bought from a competitor.

I have 12 contracts. All bought direct. Just purchased 75 GFV points this week, direct. For me, and I understand the OP, direct is what I am most comfortable with.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter