New golf cart rules, you need insurance if not using disney carts!

It has been in the Disney Golf cart rules as far back as 2010 (my first FW visit) that all golf cart operators had to be 16+ with a valid drivers license. Driving permits did not count. That is not a change in the rules.

Now, how often in 14 years of being there I saw Disney actually enforce that? Never. If someone is being reckless they might actually enforce a rule for once.

The GC insurance is not a new thing. It is required at all Margarittaville locations, Anchor Down in TN and a lot of other RV resorts. Disney requiring it came as no shock really.
Having a rule and enforcing a rule are clearly two different things. LOL

Margaritaville in Pigeon Forge was the location I bought the policy, but was never asked to show it.

I realize that these new rules don't "taste good" to some... but I do see some "implied" positives...

At least now when bringing in your own cart, everyone will be working from the same sheet of rules. Folks who bring in their own carts never have never been given any sort of rules regarding carts, other than those buried on the website. Now whether Disney (bless their hearts) will enforce them is another discussion. But anyway, for everyone, it is now written for everyone that only licensed drivers are supposed to be driving, and the other is to yield to vehicles and buses. I can only imagine folks who bring in their own cart thinking, "my cart, my rules".

Evidently, something must have happened, either with outside camper rentals, private cart users, or some auditor came in and suggested the changes... These similar rules popped up several years ago, and over time things relaxed. We'll see what plays out with this round...

I have a separate policy just for the golf cart. I live in an over 55 community with a lot of.... "questionable" drivers so felt it was a must have. Also, probably won't be going back to the Fort as a camper, but do plan on visiting my good friends at Dismeets and such. The plan is to trailer the cart and park In the overflow. I always feel a little guilty clogging up the roads with another car. Plus, during the meets vehicle parking at the campsites can be at a premium. Just easier to squeeze a cart in an unoccupied spot.

I just had another thought (and they don't come around often)... But depending on how all this plays out, I could see Disney requiring some sort of sticker that has to be applied to all private carts signifying that they are "legal" to be used inside the campground. I think some of the Myrtle Beach area campgrounds use a system similar for folks who bring in their own carts.

I can also see them imposing an additional fee, similar to the pet fee, for bringing in a private cart... The revenue stream could be endless...

I just called to try to reserve a golf cart for an August stay. The estimated wait time is over 90 minutes… guess there’s lots of questions due to the new rules!

I just called to try to reserve a golf cart for an August stay. The estimated wait time is over 90 minutes… guess there’s lots of questions due to the new rules!
We have an August stay as well. Been on hold since they opened this morning which is now 95 minutes. Initially it said wait time was 30 minutes. We had an outside vendor booked (rv and cart) and the cart was cancelled obviously. We don’t want to do fort wilderness without a golf cart. We were able to secure a rental and the gentleman did tell me they were going quick and they were flooded with calls.

I can also see them imposing an additional fee, similar to the pet fee, for bringing in a private cart... The revenue stream could be endless...

@Duane, I think you get the "I Broke the Internet Today" award. :worship:

We have an August stay as well. Been on hold since they opened this morning which is now 95 minutes. Initially it said wait time was 30 minutes. We had an outside vendor booked (rv and cart) and the cart was cancelled obviously. We don’t want to do fort wilderness without a golf cart. We were able to secure a rental and the gentleman did tell me they were going quick and they were flooded with calls.
Yikes! I’m paying long distance phone charges so I hung up when I heard the wait time but maybe I should’ve stayed on the line…

If your car or camper insurance doesn't cover a rented golf cart, I'm sure the off-site companies will start to offer insurance policies for this purpose.

Following this. I have a camper rental from Meacham’s in April 2025 with golf cart rental (already paid for)
If Meacham is an authorized provider, I believe they are, I would imagine that Disney will (already does) require them to have insurance for those sots of things. Probably in there authorized provider agreement/contract.

It dosen't say that.
It states you can only rent a golf cart from Disney, no other vendors, or bring your own provided you have proof of adequate insurance. Now might the rental companies try and offer insurance? Maybe. But as stated now, it's not allowed.

It states you can only rent a golf cart from Disney, no other vendors, or bring your own provided you have proof of adequate insurance. Now might the rental companies try and offer insurance? Maybe. But as stated now, it's not allowed.
Nowhere in that policy does it state that. It does state, as the old policy did , that you can not do buisness on disney property. So you can still go off disney property, rent and bring a golf cart on property provided the cart has liability insurance of 100k/300k.

Nowhere in that policy does it state that. It does state, as the old policy did , that you can not do buisness on disney property. So you can still go off disney property, rent and bring a golf cart on property provided the cart has liability insurance of 100k/300k.
Yeah, but that liability coverage is not currently offered. The person renting the golf cart has to have their name on the policy, not a blanket policy from the rental company. And I don't think many insurance companies are going to sell a policy to cover a rental golf cart. Now would it surprise me for the rental companies to figure out a way around this? Nope. Read this article from Tom Bricker Golf Carts at FW.

It dosen't say the insurance has to be in you name. I have no idea how or what liability insurance is offered in florida. I know in nj I can get rental insurance for a car , or an event, in my name. Florida, I am not sure about. But from what I here is that they will not insure it unless its a 3 month rental.

yeah that was the old policy as well so no change. It's still allowing 3rd party vendor rentals (done off property) but now the vendors (cart only, cart-bundled-with-rental-trailer) will have to create a means to offer SPECIFIC insurance coverage for the cart rental part. Like rental car companies do.

There will be a pause now while the vendor community adjusts and can produce this offering. But they can and will.

The Bricker article linked above leaves out a few key facts.

What's left out is that the CURRENT insurance the vendors carry does not extend to the person who RENTS the cart. But again, if the car rental companies can figure this out, it's the same thing.

Note that for personal carts, they're not asking to see the sales invoice of the guest when he BOUGHT the cart. It's not about who owns the cart, it's whether or not the guest using the cart at the Fort has proper insurance coverage to do so.

Geez, any one ever rented a car at the airport?

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter