• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New housing "Options"

Why do you think she had no choice?

I think his daughter was in the group this Spring that just had it announced that bunk beds were being put in their rooms and they were getting another roommate too. That is sort of no choice.

Liz

I think his daughter was in the group this Spring that just had it announced that bunk beds were being put in their rooms and they were getting another roommate too. That is sort of no choice.

Liz
Exactly!

Yeah, my daughter was in the same boat. Baddad, did your daughter get the "we're sorry gifts" when the new furniture was delivered? Has she heard anything yet about getting a new roommate? My daughter has not received any information yet. I am heading down to visit her in another week. Where do your kids work?

I have a child on the program now who watched the bunks delivered to another room in their apt. and those roommates were none too pleased about it. I also have another child starting in May and, as with any new group coming in, you know your requests for room type are just that, requests. If they don't have what you want then you get what they have left so plenty will have no choice in the matter. It is not a huge deal for many but I am sure some will be upset.

D

DD heads down in August. I am pretty sure just a week or so ago there were only some units affected and now there are more because based on what she wants she now only has one option left. She has already found three roommates. (They have all agreed they do not want Vista Way). She is open minded about five if they found a good fit but the others were not. I don't even think it's the bedroom that is the huge deal because you are already sharing. And with work the living room will rarely be used by all at the same time. They feel the big issue is there is not enough bathrooms or kitchen/fridge space for that many people.

I'm afraid with just four of them the apartments left may be so limited that they will end up with a random placement or worse several random in a large apartment ..... These girls picked each other because they are planning to follow the rules, maintain a quiet environment, are all extremely neat & clean, and mature (will have graduated). DD was even going to get her own apartment (she has already been living alone in a one bedroom) but decided to give Disney Housing a chance for the full experience.

DS would be absolutely fine in rooms with bunks and more the merrier so I can see guys being placed in these. But the more they convert the more I see lots of girls in them too and that could be stressful. Going to be interesting.

DisneyApartments.jpg

My DD is a current CP living at Chatham in a 2 bedroom unit. The bunks were delivered to both rooms a few weeks ago. As of now, the girls in the other bedroom were notified a 3rd roommate would be added in another week, nothing for my DD yet. Supposedly, they were told another refrigerator would be added at some point. So much for "choice". Oh well, that's life.:flower3:

I was on the programing last spring, spring 2013 and I had a larger apartment at one point and a smaller one at another point. I do not understand why they are making people suffer.

The demand for one bedroom and 2 bedrooms was always higher than 3 -4 bedroom. This will not increase interest in the program. People already work ridiculous hours, and put their butts on the line. For people going to the program, this is even closer to dorm living. I would have never gone if I had been placed in a room with another person that size.

I was on the programing last spring, spring 2013 and I had a larger apartment at one point and a smaller one at another point. I do not understand why they are making people suffer.

The demand for one bedroom and 2 bedrooms was always higher than 3 -4 bedroom. This will not increase interest in the program. People already work ridiculous hours, and put their butts on the line. For people going to the program, this is even closer to dorm living. I would have never gone if I had been placed in a room with another person that size.

I agree. Three girls in a regular size bedroom is crazy. My daughter lived in a two bedroom in Chatham for all of three weeks in 2013. The closet wasn't that big or the bathroom. Hopefully three girls in a bedroom won't having to get ready for work at the same time!

mlaw: 1 @ DHS the other @ MK

Carol-Lamb: for the ladies, it's the bathroom - for the gents, it's frig space

I'm on the Disney-Interns FB page. The comments are 80-90% negative

My son did the CP way back ... Spring semester 2011. He lived at Patterson Court in a 3 bdrm with 5 other guys. The 3 bdrms all had their own bath. Initially, he wanted a 2 bdrm and only three roommates, but, ended up placed in the 3 bdrm. However, he said they rarely all saw each other except in passing because everyone worked different shifts. I also think guys are a little more easygoing with roommate situations. Out of the six of them, three got along really well...did stuff together on days off, etc......the other three sort of kept to themselves or hung out with other people.
I can't imagine putting six people in those 2 bdrm apartments though..from what I remember..they were quite a bit smaller than the 3 bdrms... which were very spacious w/walk-in closets in the bdrms and as I said, a bath for each bedroom. There was also a very large pantry type closet in the kitchen area and the living/dining area was a very nice size.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but all but one of the dormitories at my school had bunks. All of the sorority and fraternity houses also had bunks.

After living in the various disney apartments over several programs, there are defiantly some larger bedrooms in some of the apartments that could accommodate another person. By the looks of things, those are the ones that are getting them.

http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/onboarding/fl/housing/housing-preregistration/

I suppose it is worth tossing out there that Disneyland's housing has had bunk beds in some of their bedrooms since day 1.

Seems like human nature is to complain about change. I suppose this doesn't need to be pointed out on a Disney fan site since every "change" announcement have people yodeling about Walt spinning in his grave.

When it comes to the CP, things are always changing. when they introduced the web based interview, people complained how it was wrong and would ruin the program. That was several years ago. When they started pre-screening applications before asking people to do the WBI, cries of "not fair" echoed through the tubes of the internet.

But yeah, the people coming in can indicate their "preference" if they want to be in an apartment that has bunks or not. You can bet that Disney is going to place those people in those apartments before they start those who did not want the preference.

Look in the "Housing Preferences" area for screenshots
https://disneyprogramsblog.com/dorms/

Are people going to complain? Of course they will. But I would go out on a limb and say without those bunks, a few hundred of those complainers would instead be on those internets complaining that they didn't get accepted.

A little reality check: This isn't college dorm life, it's work life

In college: Everyone's schedule is very similiar - Classes by day, study and sleep @ night. food on campus, everything is close by

In Disney: WDW is twice the size of Manhatten, it's 24x7, you get your own food by bus, everyone has different schedules. My S has done both.

It's not the same.

But in college wasn't it just one set of bunk beds in a room? Not a set and a third bed...well I take that back - I was in a Triple once at ISU but the room was VERY LARGE.

Liz

I also think it is different because the CP's were "offered" a 2 bedroom/2 people per room apartment then halfway through the program they are told, "nevermind, now you will be in a 2 bedroom/3 people per room apartment". It feels sort of like a bait and switch but, on the positive side, they will all learn a great lesson in flexibility!

I really don't like it when people try to make it sound like that people are complaining about change.

I see the value in the program but I have both been through the program and through dorm living. College and doing the program are not the same thing. The program is extremely stressful, and sticking that many people in one room when they're already given up their time and effort, the least Disney can do is keep it to 2 people to a room. We're talking adults here, not children.

Also from my own experience, most people only do the dorm living style for their first year of college. After that, most will move off campus, these are the people who are most likely to do the college program. It is not doing Disney any favors to stick them in cramp styling.

The living/dining area was a good size, but the bedrooms varied and I could not imagine trying to share a bathroom with a third person and living in a bunk bed.

Our daughter did the college program last fall. She met some roommates beforehand....they got along great, had a lot in common so they decided the "4" of them would live together in a 2 bedroom apartment. Well you know and I know....nothing ever works out as you plan!! She checked in last August and was very upset when she and the other girls were thrown in an apartment with 4 more girls......so that means.....8 girls in one apartment. Can you say MELTDOWN!! Thank God I did not check her in that day, my husband went with her and he had to calm her down. It was quite an adjustment at first.....my daughter called us the first 2 weeks begging us to take her home. We reminded her that this was her decision and she is sticking it out, its only 4 months long. It all worked out and would you know when the program ended in January, she cried her eyes out!!! She misses it so much and she met so many friends from all over!!;)

It was quite an adjustment at first.....my daughter called us the first 2 weeks begging us to take her home. We reminded her that this was her decision and she is sticking it out, its only 4 months long. It all worked out and would you know when the program ended in January, she cried her eyes out!!! She misses it so much and she met so many friends from all over!!;)

When my S did the program the first time, after 4 weeks, he wanted to self-term (with 18-21 year old guys, it's who's the alpha male), I told him, ok - it's up to you. Hire a taxi, go to the Orlando bus station, buy a ticket, and we'll pick you up when you arrive here.

Nevertheless, he graduated with his mouse ears and tassel.

The rooms are twice as big as my dorm was in college was and we had three people per room with no extra common areas. I don't really see anything wrong with it - would people have preferred they denied an extra 20% or so of accepted folks? Good for them for figuring out creative ways of accommodating more interns.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter