New Private Transportation Option as Package Add-on

Yesterday I was looking on my account to see if I could do an add on. I couldn't find anything related to this announcement. I just wanted to see prices, which will probably more than private drivers.

Yesterday I was looking on my account to see if I could do an add on. I couldn't find anything related to this announcement. I just wanted to see prices, which will probably more than private drivers.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. It still will probably be cheaper to pay for outside private transport, unless, of course, they sometimes have it as a package perk.

"Uncle Bob! Aunt Susie! Oh, we're so excited that you're both coming for a visit! We sure had fun the last time, huh? Excuse me? Oh, of course we can pick you up at the airport. Unfortunately, we're going to have to ask you for $50.00 each for pick up. Oh, and it would be $50.00 each to take you both back, after your visit. No, we didn't charge you the last time. It's just.....you know.....the pandemic, inflation, wear and tear on the car.... But we're so excited that you're coming for a visit!" 🙄

It's Mears, same stuff as you can book on their site, with the exception of the motorcoach. You have to have tickets included on your reservation to have the option to book transportation. And it does not break out the cost, it just shows your package total if you were to book transportation. You could look at your total package cost before adding the transportation option then after and subtract the two to see the actual cost breakdown. I think I'd do it separately because if there are any changes, it doesn't seem too easy to modify on the reservation. I'd probably have to call Disney and we all know how long that can take now! I think it would be easier to call Mears and actually speak with someone if I booked directly with them. Maybe more convenient through Disney, I'm sure they are getting a cut and I don't think I want to give Disney any more of my money than necessary! Especially after the ME was eliminated. Pretty slick, get rid of the complimentary transportation, then offer more expensive service and profit from it!

Last edited:
It's Mears, same stuff as you can book on their site, with the exception of the motorcoach. You have to have tickets included on your reservation to have the option to book transportation. And it does not break out the cost, it just shows your package total if you were to book transportation. You could look at your total package cost before adding the transportation option then after and subtract the two to see the actual cost breakdown. I think I'd do it separately because if there are any changes, it doesn't seem too easy to modify on the reservation. I'd probably have to call Disney and we all know how long that can take now! I think it would be easier to call Mears if I booked directly with them. Maybe more convenient through Disney, I'm sure they are getting a cut and I don't think I want to give Disney any more of my money than necessary! Especially after the ME was eliminated. Pretty slick, get rid of the complimentary transportation, then offer more expensive service and profit from it!
Just. Wow. You’re so right.

This just seems so odd and it makes me think that it's far less likely that the Minnie Vans will make a reappearance since Mears is in the same sphere with this option. I suppose they could, but why promote your competition if you plan to reenter the market.

Why can you book the Private transport option, but not the bus option, seems like offering both would have made more sense. Now that Mears has some competition with the Sunshine Flyer I wonder how that factors into this. I still don't understand why Disney gave themself such a black eye by terminating DME, instead of announcing they were going to start charging for it.

Honestly, this makes me think more and more that Disney really had no plan whatsoever.

This just seems so odd and it makes me think that it's far less likely that the Minnie Vans will make a reappearance since Mears is in the same sphere with this option. I suppose they could, but why promote your competition if you plan to reenter the market.

Why can you book the Private transport option, but not the bus option, seems like offering both would have made more sense. Now that Mears has some competition with the Sunshine Flyer I wonder how that factors into this. I still don't understand why Disney gave themself such a black eye by terminating DME, instead of announcing they were going to start charging for it.

Honestly, this makes me think more and more that Disney really had no plan whatsoever.
I’m thinking Disney may not offer the bus transportation right now because of exactly what you said, that they are now charging for a service that used to be free, maybe hoping we’d forget about it…. I wouldn’t be surprised if it popped up as an option in the future.

What is really interesting, is that they said it no longer made sense to offer it because people were using other services, but then they go ahead and put it back as a paid option..

What is really interesting, is that they said it no longer made sense to offer it because people were using other services, but then they go ahead and put it back as a paid option..

This allows for another options for those that want it, without the cost being built in for everyone. I know it doesn't look that way with inflation and other rising costs, but I'd rather have options then have it built into my cost automatically.

This allows for another options for those that want it, without the cost being built in for everyone. I know it doesn't look that way with inflation and other rising costs, but I'd rather have options then have it built into my cost automatically.

I'd love to think that, but with resort rates higher than before and ticket costs going up, it's difficult to see a reduction for visitors with this being removed.

I’m thinking Disney may not offer the bus transportation right now because of exactly what you said, that they are now charging for a service that used to be free, maybe hoping we’d forget about it…. I wouldn’t be surprised if it popped up as an option in the future.

To be blunt, they don't really care if you forget about it. The days of Disney caring about the optics of greed are long gone.

The magical express, was not free. You just didn’t see a line item for it.
That service cost disney, and in turn Disney forwarded that cost to the customer. Like every other business in the world…. That isn‘t out of business.

Disney, again like any other company that is in business, saw people not using a very expensive service and cut it.

maybe that allowed then to not charge and extra 10 dollars a night, but by removing the unused service, Disney did not have to charge more.

It’s called a free market economy.

The best thing for you to do, if you don’t like the change…… not go to Disney….

My guess, MHO, is that some people well skip Disney, because it now cost to much…. Others will glady pay, and disney will be just fine….

The magical express, was not free. You just didn’t see a line item for it.
That service cost disney, and in turn Disney forwarded that cost to the customer. Like every other business in the world…. That isn‘t out of business.

Disney, again like any other company that is in business, saw people not using a very expensive service and cut it.

maybe that allowed then to not charge and extra 10 dollars a night, but by removing the unused service, Disney did not have to charge more.

It’s called a free market economy.

The best thing for you to do, if you don’t like the change…… not go to Disney….

My guess, MHO, is that some people well skip Disney, because it now cost to much…. Others will glady pay, and disney will be just fine….

Other than the fact that Disney is indeed still charging you that extra "$10". And now another $50 a head for that same service. There was no cost reduction, There was profit grabbing.

Couldn’t disagree more.

The greedy thing is tired.

I guess they are the only company trying to increase revenue and decrease expenses.

So at what point does it pass into greedy territory then?

I personally think paying your labor significantly less than you bring in as a company to the point where they struggle to survive day to day is greedy.

Also just because all the other companies are doing it doesn't make it right.

What you call “profit grabbing” is know as “what the market will bare”….

If any corporation can sell their product for more, they have a duty to do so…

It’s called a business not a charity

What you call “profit grabbing” is know as “what the market will bare”….

If any corporation can sell their product for more, they have a duty to do so…

It’s called a business not a charity

Are you trying to say that companies and CEOs have a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders first and foremost?

If so then they may want to consider a different strategy as this one isn't working.

I still don't understand why Disney gave themself such a black eye by terminating DME, instead of announcing they were going to start charging for it.
Free produced volume. Volume allowed for frequent service with few stops.

Making guests wait, increasing the number of stops and charging would have given Disney a big black eye

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter