• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Security Bubble at MK?

second tram stop at the TTC is finished
I didn't know about that! When's the tram stop going to be finished?

This is really going to open up that area in front of the station, maybe open it up enough to bring back the welcome show? :worship::sad2:

I didn't know about that! When's the tram stop going to be finished?

This is really going to open up that area in front of the station, maybe open it up enough to bring back the welcome show? :worship::sad2:
Well the canopy is the last thing that needs to be done so then after that. It will be sooner rather than later.

As for the welcome show no that's staying at the castle.

I honestly never will understand all the fuss...really I won't.

But...if they want to space it out and make it a bigger apparatus...ok I guess.

The problem...as always...is who pays the bill?

Anything will help, honestly, I avoid MK in the morning just because of the bottleneck at security and I don't even carry a bag.

I honestly never will understand all the fuss...really I won't.

To be honest, the system that Disney had in place for the past decade or so has been a nightmare in terms of security. Of course, it's most noticeable in the peak seasons when you have several hundred (if not thousands) of people congesting in those walkways from the monorail, bus and boat drop offs waiting to be checked - we've all seen the images of people lined up back to the busses waiting to get in.

It's a clear public safety hazard - if someone were to be crazy enough to start shooting there, it's a bottleneck of people who have nowhere to go, and because of that, also has the potential of hindering security cast members in responding. At least with moving it to the TTC and the resorts, it lessens that risk of bottlenecking in the event of an emergency - while also just making it easier to get people into the theme park.

It would be nice if it reduces the bottlenecks, that's for sure. How has security been this spring?

I wish they had a separate security area for those people that bring large strollers loaded to the brim with everything but the kitchen sink. I carry one small bag that takes seconds to look in and have been stuck behind people that had several oversize bags, coolers, etc. I literally watched more than a dozen people pass through the line next to me just waiting for the security officer to finish with one stroller's contents.

I wish they had a separate security area for those people that bring large strollers loaded to the brim with everything but the kitchen sink. I carry one small bag that takes seconds to look in and have been stuck behind people that had several oversize bags, coolers, etc. I literally watched more than a dozen people pass through the line next to me just waiting for the security officer to finish with one stroller's contents.

There is no doubt that picking the right security line is 25% careful quick scrutiny and 75% luck. It's brutal when you are excited to get in. We were forced to go to a family reunion at Disney when my daughter was 6 months old. We had that stroller packed for everything an infant could use and it sucked getting on and off buses, through security, finding it at stroller pick ups, getting my darling daughter in and out for everything. Uggh. After that we swore we wouldn't go back until our kids were old enough to walk. Well, 5 and 7 year olds this past December was just the ticket. Everyone walked and everyone carried one small bag (the kids mainly carried quarters and pennies for the smashers). So much more civilized.

I always hear people speaking of these terrible bottlenecks, but I've never experienced them and I've been here a while.
Does it get physically crowded? Sure.
But even mid-day this last week, it took no longer than 7 minutes for me to leave the monorail and enter the park. 5 of those minutes were waiting at the touch points after security.

This is a pretty big increase in needed security personnel. I am trying to imagine them staffing the TTC to handle consistent tram traffic plus walkers plus offsite busses and I don't imagine it going well. Add in resort monorails, boats, and busses and that's a lot more people needed to be working than now.

Ditto - ALWAYS reduce the Target Size.

I gotta ask: do you think there's much of a threat at WDW?

I don't...I think money insulates it from most of the threats...

But I do admit that after the nightclub shooting last year I'm far less convinced.

To be honest, the system that Disney had in place for the past decade or so has been a nightmare in terms of security. Of course, it's most noticeable in the peak seasons when you have several hundred (if not thousands) of people congesting in those walkways from the monorail, bus and boat drop offs waiting to be checked - we've all seen the images of people lined up back to the busses waiting to get in.

It's a clear public safety hazard - if someone were to be crazy enough to start shooting there, it's a bottleneck of people who have nowhere to go, and because of that, also has the potential of hindering security cast members in responding. At least with moving it to the TTC and the resorts, it lessens that risk of bottlenecking in the event of an emergency - while also just making it easier to get people into the theme park.

I agree. I have thought this for several years now. Any one so inclined could do major damage at the security check points, on a crowded ferry or on the monorail. With all the bags & backpacks being carried, someone with a backpack full of explosives wouldn't stand out. Imagine that. And then the outcry that Disney should have seen it coming & screened people sooner. Sad, but this is our world. Anything is possible.

I gotta ask: do you think there's much of a threat at WDW?

I don't...I think money insulates it from most of the threats...

But I do admit that after the nightclub shooting last year I'm far less convinced.

Not sure I understand how you think money would insulate Disney from threats?? If anything, Disney's security is the best way to avoid an incident. So the sooner guests are screened, the sooner they enter a safer zone. JMHO.

Not sure I understand how you think money would insulate Disney from threats?? If anything, Disney's security is the best way to avoid an incident. So the sooner guests are screened, the sooner they enter a safer zone. JMHO.

That wasn't were I was going...as I don't believe in the security much at all. It's off the street with no experience. Hopefully they've made steps to change that policy.

What I mean is that Disney holds no political value...which makes it not to interesting of a place to make a statement. And the high cost eliminates much of the random violence that their policy may actually deter or prevent.

Just my theories.

I wonder if they would consider screening guests directly at their resorts, prior to them even getting on the buses?

The truth is, no matter where they make the security perimeter, there is always a chance for attack of the masses. However, there are many such places in the US like this. New York train system/grand central for one example.
The hope is to to discourage the ease of it. Anyone truly determine to do such a thing, could likely find a way. A shooting at disney, whether it involves 10 people or 1000 would be big news. The large amount of children likely involved would make for a very politically charged reaction, if the attacker was backed by a foreign entity.

Like any place that has security screenings, it an odds thing. All the players know it will never be 100% effective. The hope is that a potential bad guy calculates the odds of getting through security and opts for an easier target elsewhere.

My opinion is that it is mostly a spacial issue. There is back up as it's done currently, making for an unseemly appearance at the front gate. The crowding may also be unsafe in general, but it certainly is not guest service friendly.
If you can move the screening to a place people are already waiting for something, you'll make a more efficient process. Basically if you have to wait 10 minutes to board a ride to the park, you might as well kill the time getting screened, rather than wait 10 minutes to board, then get to the park, then wait 8 minutes to be screened.

If there is one absolute at Disney, they'd rather have you spending your money in a gift shop, or restaurant or anywhere. If you are in line you can't spend money. There is a cost benefit for them to do this. If it gives you the perception you are safer, then it's a side benefit. Make no mistake, someone has analyzed the financial implications, and they've acted in a way that helps the bottom line. Sometimes what is good for disney's wallet is also good for everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter