New signature card at Crystal Palace

Well, this kid looks at the signature every time she wears the hat in the photo.

The one Pooh Bear is wearing? He signed it.

I realize that some kids appreciate it. It does take a lot of time, though. And if kids were not prompted to seek autographs, I think that it would be a non-issue. Just go and interact with the characters.

Disney probably realizes that the money made from autograph books is not enough to offset the increase in character pay time. I also think it decreases the stress of seeking out 'autographs'.

I don't agree with everything Disney does but I like this change.

I realize that some kids appreciate it. It does take a lot of time, though. And if kids were not prompted to seek autographs, I think that it would be a non-issue. Just go and interact with the characters.

Disney probably realizes that the money made from autograph books is not enough to offset the increase in character pay time. I also think it decreases the stress of seeking out 'autographs'.

I only see this impacting characters that involve money .... character meals. I think we'll still see them signing at meet & greets because that is where your autograph book is more the cash cow. Still paying the characters, just a few less people will get to meet.

My point is, it isn't just the "kids" that request and save signatures.

Adults do as well.

I'd much rather have the autograph card handed to me & get to see all the characters for Photo-ops within a reasonable time frame. I only did CP once with my nieces many years ago. I remember we had to wait over a 1/2 hour after we were done eating for one of the characters to get to us, I think it was Piglet. I'm not a Pooh fan so I've never gone back to CP. This May when I ate at 'Ohana's I was done with my meal well before all 4 characters made it to my table. I sat there for about 45 minutes waiting on characters to get to me. It's no wonder they are always running late at these meals. When they had the special Star Wars Meals at DHS in Hollywood & Dine we were given the signature cards & told the Characters wouldn't be signing autograph books. Even then it took a while for all the characters to come around but it was much better than if they had been doing the autographs for everyone.

For me I'm ok with this. As long as Tigger still makes his rounds, I can get a picture with him, and they have the Breakfast Lasagna on the buffet table for breakfast I'm one happy camper. LOL

CP breakfast is one of our absolute must-do things on every trip. We've gotten autographs just about every time. That said, we won't miss it. Most of the time, the autograph part of character M&Gs is on par with seeing everything through the lens of your camera phone. The interaction with the characters is so much more fun and memorable than watching them stop to sign something. Last trip, we ditched the autograph books, kept our phones in our pockets except for quick photos, focused on engaging with the characters and each other, and enjoyed everything so much more. Things are different for everyone and, for some, it is hugely disappointing. I get that. But I'm really looking forward to a looser interaction and things moving far more quickly overall for that meal so we can be out in less than an hour, having seen all four characters.

Someone on Facebook said they signed today and did not hand out the cards. Guess we will see what others experience! We aren't going until January.

Someone on Facebook said they signed today and did not hand out the cards. Guess we will see what others experience! We aren't going until January.
Like I said with Disney... they can -- AND DO -- change things frequently! Maybe they'll test some days with and some without and see what feedback is.

At least 2 of us got those cards this week... guess we'll see where it goes!

I'm one of the adults who gets autographs. It's a cheap souvenir that holds tons of great memories. CP is also a family tradition, and we go for breakfast every trip. I can see both sides, I'm sad that we're getting a more impersonal experience, but thrilled that things will move faster! I can only eat so much breakfast lasagna!

I don't like this idea at all. I don't think Pooh signing my autograph mat takes longer than the tables who 'need' 5 or 6 picture combinations. Pooh with grandma, pooh with kids, pooh with mom and dad, pooh with mom and dad and kids. But, we know the drill and have our marker with the lid off poised in front of the mat ready to go. Last month, a character handler was walking around in front of Pooh asking tables to have their autograph book out and ready if they want a signature. I think that can alleviate a lot of the congestion.

I don't like this idea at all. I don't think Pooh signing my autograph mat takes longer than the tables who 'need' 5 or 6 picture combinations. Pooh with grandma, pooh with kids, pooh with mom and dad, pooh with mom and dad and kids. But, we know the drill and have our marker with the lid off poised in front of the mat ready to go. Last month, a character handler was walking around in front of Pooh asking tables to have their autograph book out and ready if they want a signature. I think that can alleviate a lot of the congestion.
Good point.

How long did it take for "Pooh" to sign my hat?

Now, how long does it take for the various groups to get together to have numerous pictures taken?

Bet mine didn't take as long.

Good point.

Now, how long does it take for the various groups to get together to have numerous pictures taken?

I would bet that ON AVERAGE, the signatures take longer than photos only.

Of the folks only taking pics, I don't usually see people asking for a million poses. It happens, but not that often. How often have I seen people wanting autographs NOT have their stuff ready when the character arrives? Often. And then they want pics on top of that.

I can see some people being disappointed. But I can imagine it being beneficial to Disney -- and to MANY guests like us who don't want a 90min+ lunch -- to streamline this.

Like I said with Disney... they can -- AND DO -- change things frequently! Maybe they'll test some days with and some without and see what feedback is.

At least 2 of us got those cards this week... guess we'll see where it goes!

Make that 3. We were told and given the same during our Friday morning reservation. I thought it was a little cheesy on Disney's part considering the cost of these meals, but doesn't really bother me either way. I enjoy the interaction and looking back at photos of the children/grandchildren more than anything else.

Good point.

If it were only one autograph book per table, you'd be right for sure. Unfortunately, just about every single kid and half the adults at each table all have their own book or item they want signed. When you add in all the photo combinations AND 2, 3, 4, 5 autographs, it gets lengthy.

If it were only one autograph book per table, you'd be right for sure. Unfortunately, just about every single kid and half the adults at each table all have their own book or item they want signed. When you add in all the photo combinations AND 2, 3, 4, 5 autographs, it gets lengthy.
And that's partly why people severely over pay for mediocre food. Seriously, if you want to minimize the personal interactions fine, but then lower the price (which ain't gonna happen).

And that's partly why people severely over pay for mediocre food. Seriously, if you want to minimize the personal interactions fine, but then lower the price (which ain't gonna happen).
I would eat that breakfast buffet without characters there. I'd bet many would. It's not V&A, but it's perfectly tasty breakfast food, with options for just about everyone.

Liberty Tree had characters -- they removed them and it is ALWAYS booked. I'm not aware of them dropping the price. I think some overestimate the role of characters in keeping some of these restaurants booked. Liberty Tree certainly shows that.

I would eat that breakfast buffet without characters there. I'd bet many would. It's not V&A, but it's perfectly tasty breakfast food, with options for just about everyone.

Liberty Tree had characters -- they removed them and it is ALWAYS booked. I'm not aware of them dropping the price. I think some overestimate the role of characters in keeping some of these restaurants booked. Liberty Tree certainly shows that.
Funny enough, we haven't been back to LTT since they dropped the characters. And we loved that meal. Unfortunately for those of us who get disappointed by things like this, we don't really get to speak with our dollars because there are always people new to Disney that don't have the previous experience to compare it to and will keep the seats full anyway. Not sure if I'm making my point clearly, but I'm saying I agree with you, I'm sure it won't cause the restaurant to be suddenly empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter