New to scrapbooking!

LilMamiBella

DIS Veteran
I'm new to scrapbooking and today I went and bought some things.
I bought:
2 albums
big book of cardstock paper in different colors
big book of patterned paper
individual patterned papers
journaling pens
glue adhesive thingie
honey bee scissors?
cutterpede
etc

What is a sizzix, coluzzle, wishblade?, etc? Is there a scrapbook magazine you could recommend? Anything else you recommend I buy? What are brads and eyelets and how do you use them? I met a creative memories consultant and she gave me her catalog. What are soem of the must have items to buy from creative memories? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Hi LilMamiBella---Welcome to the most fun you'll have w/any hobby ever!!
I'm not sure what all of the tools you asked about do b/c I don't have them but I know you'll get some great responses here. As far as Scrapbook magazines I really like Simple Scrapbooking and Scrapbooks etc. I'm very basic in my layouts and find these 2 mags have suggestions and ideas that I can relate to.
Creative Memories is a fantastic company. They have great products and reps that know the product line. I have several CM products and find them to be very helpful. I have the circle cutter w/self healing board and use it often. Also the corner rounder and Square cutter. I think their storage items are pretty good too. I have the large binder for stickers and die cuts that I swear by and take pretty much everywhere. I use some CM stickers but usually buy my stickers and die cuts at LSS or one of the major craft stores.
The more you scrap, the more you will develop your own style and find certain products that work for you and some that won't. Keep an open mind to everything!!
Good luck and ENJOY!!!
Karen

I really suggest going to your LSS and taking a class. Unless you have a group of friends that SB and you could get together to scrap. There are so many different styles to scrapbooking and a class is a good way to learn techniques, get ideas etc. I subscribe to Creating Keepsakes Mag and I really like it. Have fun playing with your new toys

Welcome to Scrapbooking. Its so addictive. There are some CM products that I cant do without. The tape runner, the cutting systems are awesome and I like the pens. I like the pen cady as well. Plus there is a pouch that I put the shapes from the cutting system in.
Its funny because I buy the tape runner refills by the case and when I get down to three I panic and order another case.

LilMamiBella said:
I'm new to scrapbooking and today I went and bought some things.
I bought:
2 albums
big book of cardstock paper in different colors
big book of patterned paper
individual patterned papers
journaling pens
glue adhesive thingie
honey bee scissors?
cutterpede
etc

What is a sizzix, coluzzle, wishblade?, etc? Is there a scrapbook magazine you could recommend? Anything else you recommend I buy? What are brads and eyelets and how do you use them? I met a creative memories consultant and she gave me her catalog. What are soem of the must have items to buy from creative memories? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to the addictive world of scrapbooking! I can help on some items.

A sizzix (or the small sidekick) is used to diecut shapes/letters from paper/cardstock. I have both, but find I use my sidekick the most. It works with the sizzlits, which are smaller die-cuts. You can visit their website www.sizzix.com for more detailed information. When looking to buy however watch Michaels/AC Moore as they usually put them on sale every few weeks or use a coupon.

I love my coluzzles! They are templates that you can use to cut out shapes and letters from paper/photo's etc. I have some alphabet ones that I use and the shape ones I use for matting frames around photos. Sometimes I cut the photo to get a certain shape without matting. When buying the coluzzle, make sure to buy the special mat and cutting tool that goes with them. I think they sell a package deal that might be more cost effective. I again try and get these on sale or with coupon.

I just started getting the Creating Keepsakes magazine, so can't really evaluate those. I find lots of great ideas from searching on the internet. I have purchased 2 books from Lisa Bearnson that have great tips and ideas. They can be found on Amazon.com the cheapest. I don't have the specific names, but you can search her name and they'll come up. One has a purple cover, the other green.

Brads are small embellishments that have prongs on the back that you separate and attach to the page generally by making a hole in the paper and sliding it through. Eyelets are similar, but require the tools to hammer or set them to the page (similar to your buttons on jeans). I find that I use Brads more for convenience. They come in all different sizes/shapes and can dress up the page.

I also purchased a mat at my locale fabric store that I can place down on my table to prevent it from being ruined by anything. I purchased a larger mat, but not sure the exact size. I take it with me to any crops, along with my other bazillion things.

The only other items that I can offer now are stickers/3-d embellishments. I love to use them to decorate my page. The Disney ones have really come along way since I did my book back in 2003. I can't wait for this years vacation and all the new things that I can decorate with :banana:

I hope this helps some :) Enjoy and let your creativity roam free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter