News Round Up 2017

News

Mobile Ordering will apparently be coming to 15 WDW restaurants

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/full-...nts-will-offer-mobile-ordering-starting-soon/
I have to admit this is kinda cool. I especially like the whole order ahead and then just say "I'm Here" and your food should be starting to be prepared. If the whole process goes smoothly I could see this being a big bonus for those who have tired traveling companions (and other situations too). You could order then start walking/getting towards the place then just say "I'm Here" once you're there and wait for the food to come instead of tired, cranky people in line who are trying to figure out what they want to eat after walking/getting to the restaurant.

News

Mobile Ordering will apparently be coming to 15 WDW restaurants

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/full-...nts-will-offer-mobile-ordering-starting-soon/

It will be interesting to see how this works at the "slam" eating times. If 100 people place orders for noon and get there at the same time, will you completely slam your prep/cooking group? Will this actually save any time for those times, b/c they can only make so much food at once based on staffing levels...will food quality suffer and paid cashier positions just change to expedite/caller/customer management positions for whose food is ready and when...will anyone in the cashier line actually be allowed to order and make the whole thing worse?

I have to admit this is kinda cool. I especially like the whole order ahead and then just say "I'm Here" and your food should be starting to be prepared. If the whole process goes smoothly I could see this being a big bonus for those who have tired traveling companions (and other situations too). You could order then start walking/getting towards the place then just say "I'm Here" once you're there and wait for the food to come instead of tired, cranky people in line who are trying to figure out what they want to eat after walking/getting to the restaurant.

I'm so glad they're doing this. I'm already a big fan of the starbucks app where you can put your order in ahead of time. No waiting behind the high maintenance customers with an order as long as the constitution. The "I'm here" trigger is a nice touch, it works toward those "my food is cold" concerns. I'm sure there will be plenty of growing pains though. Hopefully they'll do some testing on that during the pandora previews.

It will be interesting to see how this works at the "slam" eating times. If 100 people place orders for noon and get there at the same time, will you completely slam your prep/cooking group? Will this actually save any time for those times, b/c they can only make so much food at once based on staffing levels...will food quality suffer and paid cashier positions just change to expedite/caller/customer management positions for whose food is ready and when...will anyone in the cashier line actually be allowed to order and make the whole thing worse?
Considering this is a QS mobile ordering service I can't see quality going down too much. A lot of the quick service food is just continually prepared and mass produced. This will just bypass the cashier part. Of course it might take some time to get used to for both guests and Disney but I think it will work out.

I honestly don't see how it would be any different than it is today, it's just a different way of putting in the order. When you hit "I'm here" that would trigger the order to the grill and prep to say "make this now" instead of a cashier inputting it. Lots of companies do this already but I'm curious how many customers actually use it. Just like with mobile pay, it's one of those things slow to take off but eventually if enough people do it there will be a turning point. Takes a while though.

I am hoping this works well as it has the potential to be a real time saver. Interesting that D-Luxe burger is included but didn't see any other Disney Springs locations
I think it's hard as D-Luxe is Disney owned whereas most other locations are not. Blaze Pizza for example has their own mobile ordering already.

I'm so glad they're doing this. I'm already a big fan of the starbucks app where you can put your order in ahead of time. No waiting behind the high maintenance customers with an order as long as the constitution. The "I'm here" trigger is a nice touch, it works toward those "my food is cold" concerns. I'm sure there will be plenty of growing pains though. Hopefully they'll do some testing on that during the pandora previews.
Yup. That's why I mentioned if the process goes smoothly. I don't anticipate huge huge issues but growing pains is a good description lol. ETA: I agree with your thoughts on it as well :-)

Some interesting details on that mobile ordering: "Only credit card payments will be accepted for this service, with Dining Plan guests still having to use the normal queue, at least as of right now."

Also, how do you prove the meal is yours? Could anyone walk up and take your tray? Normally, you have a ticket. Is someone sheriffing these orders? It shouldn't be too hard to mostly self-police, but there's always that one guy.

It would also be good to see some kind of virtual line. Like showing how many orders are currently being processed. I suppose this would be equivalent to seeing how many people are standing around the pickup window, and you'll be close anyway to say "I'm here." Long wait? Cancel order and move on.

Some interesting details on that mobile ordering: "Only credit card payments will be accepted for this service, with Dining Plan guests still having to use the normal queue, at least as of right now."

Also, how do you prove the meal is yours? Could anyone walk up and take your tray? Normally, you have a ticket. Is someone sheriffing these orders? It shouldn't be too hard to mostly self-police, but there's always that one guy.

It would also be good to see some kind of virtual line. Like showing how many orders are currently being processed. I suppose this would be equivalent to seeing how many people are standing around the pickup window, and you'll be close anyway to say "I'm here." Long wait? Cancel order and move on.
It will likely be associated to your name.

Yeah that's sort of one of the problems I forsee, but again, it could happen anywhere. It would be easiest to assign a name and/or number to your order. You show your screen with matching name/number and get your food. 9 times out of 10 it'll work well. "That guy" will always mess things up!

Forgive me if it was already mentioned when the Pandora QS mobile ordering was announced but can you actually cancel your order easy peasy when speaking in regards to Mobile Ordering? Because it says you're pre-paying for the food (hence the credit card requirement and I don't know for sure but I'm assuming maybe the credit card associated with your MDE account). So 1) are you able to cancel easily 2) if you are able to cancel easily will a refund take a while to hit your credit card?

I guess I wouldn't see much benefit to a guest if they were to use the Mobile Ordering service as a "well only hit the I'm Here if the line is X mins long otherwise cancel the order and we'll go elsewhere"

*Maybe that wasn't where you were going with that so apologies if I was misunderstanding your post*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter