• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

I find this interesting, because I'm wondering how many weeks in a row will Disney control the box office?

I've seen Coco twice, and it is a great film! I can't wait for Thursday night though! :)

Finally saw Coco today! The one problem being my one contact ripped and i had to watch the whole thing squinting but I really really loved it! What a beautiful movie. We laughed and cried! Can't wait to get it on dvd and see it with full vision. Bummed we missed Olaf since I work night shift when he airs on TV but hoping to track down the dvd this week! Anyone know where you can buy it? (I saw on instagram they were being sold)

In what way do you think the Uni hotels are better than Disney's?

For about what WDW charges for a moderate ($230), we stayed at Royal Pacific. It was nice to have interior hallways, a nice room, and 3 restaurants housed inside the main building, about a 1-2 minute walk from the room. Also, the service was much better. Having a real room service option is a huge perk. And being able to walk to both parks was a huge perk, even if it was 40 degrees! At the moderates at WDW, it can be quite a hike to the main service areas.

Finally saw Coco today! The one problem being my one contact ripped and i had to watch the whole thing squinting but I really really loved it! What a beautiful movie. We laughed and cried! Can't wait to get it on dvd and see it with full vision. Bummed we missed Olaf since I work night shift when he airs on TV but hoping to track down the dvd this week! Anyone know where you can buy it? (I saw on instagram they were being sold)

Do you have Comcast? They might have it ondemand, I haven't searched for it though. I'm betting they'll re-air it at random times on the various disney stations too.

For about what WDW charges for a moderate ($230), we stayed at Royal Pacific. It was nice to have interior hallways, a nice room, and 3 restaurants housed inside the main building, about a 1-2 minute walk from the room. Also, the service was much better. Having a real room service option is a huge perk. And being able to walk to both parks was a huge perk, even if it was 40 degrees! At the moderates at WDW, it can be quite a hike to the main service areas.

The Universal hotels seem to have much bigger price swings - I have been being told what great values Universal hotels are, but because we are going during President's week, we are looking at $415 + tax per night for Royal Pacific, which takes it out of the moderate range in my view. I would agree at $200 - 300 per night that would be a wonderful value. Not so sure I will think that at nearly $500 a night.

Oh, and we got to Coco yesterday. DD14 was not happy about it because it "made her feel" (her words). We were all crying at one point. Beautifully done, certainly Pixar's best since Inside Out and I would probably even argue since Up. (I have to watch Inside Out again.) I did say "At least I'm crying about human beings instead of stupid Robots" I still won't figure Pixar for making me cry over stupid Wall-E.

Still can't believe this is only the 4th "Original" Pixar movie since Up 8.5 years ago, and one of those was the poo that was Good Dinosuar. (And another 2.5 years until the next one - but at least they've called a moratorium on sequels beyond that.)

But yes - if you haven't had the chance to see Coco, go see it before it gets squeezed out of theaters along with everything else by Last Jedi. Hopefully it can re-gain some momentum into the Holidays, because even though it won the week, it's only at $135 million, and needs to push past $200 million US to be really considered the hit it deserves to be.

Oh, and we got to Coco yesterday. DD14 was not happy about it because it "made her feel" (her words). We were all crying at one point. Beautifully done, certainly Pixar's best since Inside Out and I would probably even argue since Up. (I have to watch Inside Out again.) I did say "At least I'm crying about human beings instead of stupid Robots" I still won't figure Pixar for making me cry over stupid Wall-E.

Still can't believe this is only the 4th "Original" Pixar movie since Up 8.5 years ago, and one of those was the poo that was Good Dinosuar. (And another 2.5 years until the next one - but at least they've called a moratorium on sequels beyond that.)

But yes - if you haven't had the chance to see Coco, go see it before it gets squeezed out of theaters along with everything else by Last Jedi. Hopefully it can re-gain some momentum into the Holidays, because even though it won the week, it's only at $135 million, and needs to push past $200 million US to be really considered the hit it deserves to be.
It's going to pass $400 million worldwide soon so it's doing well overall.

Oh---not sure how I feel about this. Not that Flights of Wonder was the greatest show ever, but it seems to me like adding Russel and Dug to the show could take away from some of the educational aspects of it. (is it really Dug? I always thought it was Doug.) However, at LEAST they are not eliminating the show completely. Guess we'll be checking this out in August since I'm sure it won't be open when we are there in April. (Implications from the article say April.)

Edit: And can we maybe get a face character for Russel? Why does he have to be a costume character?

It's going to pass $400 million worldwide soon so it's doing well overall.

Yeah, definitely its a success, but in terms of US box office it's a little soft, so I am hoping it can hold on. I know in the end what matters is the quality of movies, but having the original movies be both good and successful is what keeps us from just getting Cars 4 and Monsters Retirement Home.

I definitely get the "Made her feel" part - had a similar impact on me ... during the last 20 mins or so seemed like there were a bunch of ninjas chopping onions in our theater. But it was definitely a mixture of emotions and not truly "sad" so I was ok with it (I don't wanting to watch TV shows or movies that make you cry because of how sad they are)

NEWS

Coco gets tow Golden Globe nominations - best animated feature and best original song (Remember Me)

Also, William DeFoe is nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for The Florida Project (which, not made by Disney, is set in the shadows of Walt Disney World)

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2018-nominees-full-list-1202634435/

How does Coco not win EVERY award this year. It was a terrible year for animated movies. Nut Job 2? Boss Baby? The only thing close in quality is Lego Batman movie, but I still wouldn't put that in the same category.

Next year there's going to be more competition, but 2017 was definitely not a great year for animation. (Wes Anderson's "Isle of Dogs" may be the animated movie I'm looking forward to most next year, and I am really looking forward to Incredibles 2.)

How does Coco not win EVERY award this year. It was a terrible year for animated movies. Nut Job 2? Boss Baby? The only thing close in quality is Lego Batman movie, but I still wouldn't put that in the same category.

Next year there's going to be more competition, but 2017 was definitely not a great year for animation. (Wes Anderson's "Isle of Dogs" may be the animated movie I'm looking forward to most next year, and I am really looking forward to Incredibles 2.)

fully agree - the kids were watching the Boss Baby as it was on Netflix and it is just terrible. They've been watching Trolls too and at least that i think has decent animation and good music, but the story is dumb and just shoehorned it

fully agree - the kids were watching the Boss Baby as it was on Netflix and it is just terrible. They've been watching Trolls too and at least that i think has decent animation and good music, but the story is dumb and just shoehorned it

Ugh - Trolls is awful, the only thing it's got going for it is quality voice talent (and the music). DD made us watch it because she wanted us to make fun of it. But hey, it's better than the emoji movie - which I refuse to watch but saw enough highlights of to tell I don't want to watch it.

Ugh - Trolls is awful, the only thing it's got going for it is quality voice talent (and the music). DD made us watch it because she wanted us to make fun of it. But hey, it's better than the emoji movie - which I refuse to watch but saw enough highlights of to tell I don't want to watch it.

We got suckered into watching Trolls and the Emoji movie. Trolls was cute but not one I will willing watch again. The Emoji movie was funny in spots but not enough to watch again, however my kids now go around saying "Meh" to everything. it is getting annoying.

Is Moana is this group for awards?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter