News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEWS

Disney to remove "loose bins" at security - guests will now be able to walk through metal detectors with small items in their pockets (cell phones, etc.)

https://wdwnt.com/2019/05/breaking-...-walk-through-metal-detector-with-belongings/
That will make people happy for sure.

It wasn't truely a hassle for us but I know it was just one of those added things when my husband had to take his cell phone and rental car car keys out of his pocket everytime (I'm assuming car keys would be ok but reading the article it says hit or miss on some metal items).

Our park bags were super easy to open and see what's in it was just the added part of removing everything in your pockets that could slow you down.

Doesn't this sort of defeat the security purpose? Disney should just go to scanners.

yeah, you'd think - if a cell phone or car keys won't set it off, will it catch a small picket knife or something?

I know a bit part of security is the "show" of it and people not wanting to risk things .... but I agree - the Universal method seems better and fairer to people

Doesn't this sort of defeat the security purpose? Disney should just go to scanners.
I see this the same as how TSA is improving scanners at some airports. The goal is to not have people have to remove stuff from their pockets eventually (so I hear) from TSA in the future. They are already using enhanced scanners in certain airports. The article briefly mentions "calibrating metal detectors to accept small metal items" I assume this is the same as other metal detectors that one may encounter out and about. Some metal detectors I've been through aren't as sensitive if you will and others def. are.

Way way way back when metal detectors were first talked about that Disney was implementing on a random system I mentioned I would much rather everyone go through the detectors. Agree totally with maxrebo that Universal is much easier process though you still need to remove your stuff from your pockets if I remember correctly but your bag just goes through a scanner which can be easier for those who may have a bigger bag or a bag with more pockets vs a human looking through all those pockets. So I guess a trade off there in comparison to Disney's new procedure.

I see this the same as how TSA is improving scanners at some airports. The goal is to not have people have to remove stuff from their pockets eventually (so I hear) from TSA in the future. They are already using enhanced scanners in certain airports. The article briefly mentions "calibrating metal detectors to accept small metal items" I assume this is the same as other metal detectors that one may encounter out and about. Some metal detectors I've been through aren't as sensitive if you will and others def. are.

Way way way back when metal detectors were first talked about that Disney was implementing on a random system I mentioned I would much rather everyone go through the detectors. Agree totally with maxrebo that Universal is much easier process though you still need to remove your stuff from your pockets if I remember correctly but your bag just goes through a scanner which can be easier for those who may have a bigger bag or a bag with more pockets vs a human looking through all those pockets. So I guess a trade off there in comparison to Disney's new procedure.
My problem would be like @TheMaxRebo mentioned above. Will this prevent small pocket knives or similar items from getting through? Some have key chain ones on their keys.

My problem would be like @TheMaxRebo mentioned above. Will this prevent small pocket knives or similar items from getting through? Some have key chain ones on their keys.
Well I guess that question should be asked of all the places that have different settings used on their detectors. It's of course a valid concern I just don't know the answer to how other places handle those types of situations.

It's all security theatre.
Until there is another major threat, they can probably slowly pare back on security (to a point). The minute there is another Vegas shooter or (God forbid) a sports venue or theme park incident, they will probably make everyone go through scanners.

The main issue is that people "feel" safer by having their bags checked but balanced with quickness and ease of getting people through the lines.

Why are the theme parks themselves locked down compared to the (as equally full of people) Disney hotels and Disney Springs? Again .. because it is just theater.

We ALL know that if someone wanted to harm people .. they could just use this MAJOR chokepoint to harm people right there.
And .. if someone really tried hard, they could probably get things through security (hidden in a stroller (I mean .. they don't ask you to remove the child do they), buried deep in a bag, etc.).

Last edited:
I think you'll find that guest have access to sharps inside the park. I don't think knives and the like are the big threat in park. I'd imagine it's bigger items, like rifles, and explosives is where the concern is. Even a pistol smuggled in would be relatively small threat. The bigger items are where the bag check comes in etc.
Heaven forbid a lunatic with a pistol get aggressive in the park, but that is a much smaller threat than the same person with automatic rifle or explosives. Given the density of metal in the average firearm, it should be easier to detect compared to the average knife.

Given the numbers shown for attendance last year in the other thread, that is an epic amount of people to screen. Even if they do well at it at the gates, something can sneak through. I'd think at this point Disney has developed an in park security staff that probably does a better job of keeping people safe than the security screening at the gates. Some might call it theater at the front gate, and to a certain extent it is, but it does weed out the obvious threats. It also likely encourages the creeps to look for a softer target.

It's all security theatre.
Until there is another major threat, they can probably slowly pare back on security (to a point). The minute there is another Vegas shooter or (God forbid) a sports venue or theme park incident, they will probably make everyone go through scanners.

The main issue is that people "feel" safer by having their bags checked but balanced with quickness and ease of getting people through the lines.

Why are the theme parks themselves locked down compared to the (as equally full of people) Disney hotels and Disney Springs? Again .. because it is just theater.

We ALL know that if someone wanted to harm people .. they could just use this MAJOR chokepoint to harm people right there.
And .. if someone really tried hard, they could probably get things through security (hidden in a stroller (I mean .. they don't ask you to remove the child do they), buried deep in a bag, etc.).

Except they caught someone trying to bring guns in not that long ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter