News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we finally use this as proof that FP+ is terrible?

Please.... :)
I think it will be hard to pull it back now, but I think Disney will have to change it in the future (probably by monetizing it) or it may start to collapse under its own weight (too many people utilizing it, too long of Standby lines, complaints when certain ones aren't available (even at 60 days).
If they reduce the free FPs and monetize getting more (and thus, in theory, make same-day FPs more readily available) .. that will help.

The main problems I see with the system now:
1) It only really works at MK because it has so many ride attractions and they don't make FP queues for shows (except for Enchanted Tales).
2) The high-demand rides are frustratingly hard to get unless you have a very long resort stay. Which makes the standby lines way too long.
3) Low "ride" attraction parks like DHS, Epcot and AK should ditch the FPs for shows and just only allow 1 FP a day (really that is all you need anyone .. the Tier 1 one).

DHS has essentially done #3 by making all rides (except Star Tours) Tier 1. I bet it will help a lot.

I think it will be hard to pull it back now, but I think Disney will have to change it in the future (probably by monetizing it) or it may start to collapse under its own weight (too many people utilizing it, too long of Standby lines, complaints when certain ones aren't available (even at 60 days).
If they reduce the free FPs and monetize getting more (and thus, in theory, make same-day FPs more readily available) .. that will help.

1) It only really works at MK because it has so many ride attractions and they don't make FP queues for shows (except for Enchanted Tales).
2) The high-demand rides are frustratingly hard to get unless you have a very long resort stay. Which makes the standby lines way too long.
3) Low "ride" attraction parks like DHS, Epcot and AK should ditch the FPs for shows and just only allow 1 FP a day (really that is all you need anyone .. the Tier 1 one).

DHS has essentially done #3 by making all rides (except Star Tours) Tier 1. I bet it will help a lot.

With our AP's from 2017-2018 we went to MK probably 15-20 times (sometimes just for a few hours, mind you). We got 7DMT Fp's one time, and at AK we got FOP 1 time. This is with refreshing and looking pretty constantly (not hours per day but a quick login and look before a weekend). Forget SDD now days. FP+ ruins the standby lines. We've had this debate on the Dis before (many times). But with the apparent success of Smuggler's run not having a FP, I'm not sure how I can see the argument that FP+ offers any type of advantage.

I'm interested to see how the HS situation shakes out with the move to all tier 1. Will more and more people become FP+ savy and burn early FP's to get the refresh opportunity at more Tier 1's?

To swing this back to SW:GE, I think that opening at 6 AM coupled with no FP was a wise move. It proves, at least to me, that not having FP for a major ride won't necessary lead to multi hour waits. And I've always said I'd rather be moving in a line for an hour than standing still in one for 30 minutes.

Whew....got that FP+ angst out of my system!

it's like a lot of issues with WDW in that it has become too popular for it's own good. It was great when it let people "guarantee" one popular ride with minimal wait but they have had to have sooo many FPs that a lot of the rides run at like 90% FP/10% standby and it makes the standby lines waaaay longer than they should be and then also a lot of times you see the FP line even get long

I honestly don't know what the answer it (other than add 25 more rides at each park or something)

Can we finally use this as proof that FP+ is terrible?

Please.... :)
FPP is what makes people unwilling to wait. If you had to wait 90+ minutes for every headliner, that's what people would do. Now people are like "no fast pass? Let's go ride Dumbo."

So I think it is really nice when one or two rides aren't using it, but if it was gone I think it'd be a net negative.

Monetizing the FP system is a nightmare scenario in my opinion.

It will happen.
Disney created a product (skipping the lines) .. it is now in high demand (as is obvious with people paying for Early Morning Magic and After Hours events .. or booking pre-park opening breakfasts JUST to be the first line for rides.

Nightmare or not .. it will be shocking if it doesn't happen . .and soon.

It could be why Smugglers Run doesn't have a FP .. maybe they will just introduce a FP premium tier .. and the only way to get a FP for Smugglers Run is to pay for it ($X / day).
My guess is they will drop free fast passes to 2 .. limit it to certain attractions and make a premium tier for the high-demand rides that people pay for.
In theory . .that should help. Gives people an option to get those high-demand Fast passes (without having to book a 7 day resort stay) and should make the standby lines shorter as less people will be getting Fast Passes.

People WILL pay for it .. no doubt.

It will happen.
Disney created a product (skipping the lines) .. it is now in high demand (as is obvious with people paying for Early Morning Magic and After Hours events .. or booking pre-park opening breakfasts JUST to be the first line for rides.

Nightmare or not .. it will be shocking if it doesn't happen . .and soon.

It could be why Smugglers Run doesn't have a FP .. maybe they will just introduce a FP premium tier .. and the only way to get a FP for Smugglers Run is to pay for it ($X / day).
My guess is they will drop free fast passes to 2 .. limit it to certain attractions and make a premium tier for the high-demand rides that people pay for.
In theory . .that should help. Gives people an option to get those high-demand Fast passes (without having to book a 7 day resort stay) and should make the standby lines shorter as less people will be getting Fast Passes.

People WILL pay for it .. no doubt.

All I can say is I hope you are wrong.

Some people will pay. Others will just not come back. Sad times.

I'm interested to see how the HS situation shakes out with the move to all tier 1. Will more and more people become FP+ savy and burn early FP's to get the refresh opportunity at more Tier 1's?
I think especially once ROTR and MMRR open at DHS (and are added to FP along with MFSR), it will function more like MK, where I actually think FP works fine most days. DHS will have 9 rides, but 7 of them will be reasonably high capacity (assuming MMRR is anything in the ballpark of GMR), so given the disparity in park attendance vs MK, it will have plenty of ride FPs to have an enjoyable day (Unfortunately one of the two low capacity rides is SDD).

Epcot and AK are certainly more problematic.

Most other amusement parks have a version of paid FP. It will happen at Disney eventually and we have seen the beginnings of it with the paid cl FP. The park I live near is offering its version of FP for passholders for an additional $1000 per person. That’s for the barely 6 months that park is open.

I agree overall - I know there are some people out there that just refuse to wait longer than 20 mins for anything and if they can't get a FP then they don't ride and therefore will not ride this ever (until/if they add FP), but I think this is better for more people (especially with the single rider line option - so people that are willing to ride that way, I bet, int he long run will see waits <30 mins pretty consistently

We fall into the no FP, means we don't ride category. We typically won't wait longer than 20 mins for anything.

Having said that, I am impressed with the wait times. If we were there right now and could duck into SWGE close to closing and have a 60 min or less wait we'd probably do that for this attraction. It also sounds like your first time through the line would be full of interesting things to check out and occupy your mind to make the wait seem shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter