News Round Up 2020

this one definitely feels like putting out something quick for a popular property and reminding people about it, etc.

Was just thinking the other day that too bad they didn't have one of the Marvel show sready to go to be released around now, would likely get a lot of eyeballs. A lot of the new content now, while some is enjoyable, nothing seems as high quality as the Mandelorian or Imagineering Story
I have to admit we watched a ton of Disney+ the first month or three. But with the exception of the Clone Wars stuff, my kids just are mostly over it right now and there isn't much I care about. Since we aren't locked in, I'm on the verge of cancelling until they put up some more stuff.

I'm glad they are doing well with subscribers, but they need original content. And this hiatus for filming isn't going to help in the mid-term.

I have to admit we watched a ton of Disney+ the first month or three. But with the exception of the Clone Wars stuff, my kids just are mostly over it right now and there isn't much I care about. Since we aren't locked in, I'm on the verge of cancelling until they put up some more stuff.

I'm glad they are doing well with subscribers, but they need original content. And this hiatus for filming isn't going to help in the mid-term.

We had never watched all of Star Wars Rebels so we have been going through that. We did watch Diary of Future President and we like Shop Class that still has new episodes. I am locked in for 3 years at the D23 rate, but even with what we are watching now I see it as worth the $3.92/month we are paying but if I was paying the full monthly rate now I could understand your thinking

This hiatus isn’t going to help anyone. Netflix had a perfect storm with Tiger King coming out at the absolute right time. Disney didn’t really have something big ready for right now. They’ve pushed some films to Disney+ early though with Frozen 2 and Onward. Artemis Fowl will be next. Depending on how long this continues all streaming services and network TV are going to have trouble getting new things out.

This hiatus isn’t going to help anyone. Netflix had a perfect storm with Tiger King coming out at the absolute right time. Disney didn’t really have something big ready for right now. They’ve pushed some films to Disney+ early though with Frozen 2 and Onward. Artemis Fowl will be next. Depending on how long this continues all streaming services and network TV are going to have trouble getting new things out.

I wonder if they would ever stream viewing parties or even like "mystery science 3000" type set ups with existing movies or shows but with the stars or producers commentating

Like watching Thor Ragnorak with Chris Helmsworth, Jeff Goldblum and Taika Waititi commentating would be awesome and could be done remotely

I wonder if they would ever stream viewing parties or even like "mystery science 3000" type set ups with existing movies or shows but with the stars or producers commentating

Like watching Thor Ragnorak with Chris Helmsworth, Jeff Goldblum and Taika Waititi commentating would be awesome and could be done remotely
Best idea I've seen on this board in a while. Can I like this more than once please? That would keep me hooked, especially if they had the right people doing it. Cheap and easy and doable!

Agreed. This gap was always an issue. It's just more obvious right now with what is going on.

Yeah for a company that should be worried about reopening this wasn’t exactly the move to make...
The frequent leadership changes isn’t great for the company, they needed to do something to fix that. This should do it. These bonuses get paid out in 1 and 2 years, when they should be operating again. Still bad PR for them. All the executives have also taken 20% pay cuts here.

I'd argue that Netflix has these things that come out that grab people's attention all the time;crime docuseries, and those odd shows no one would really think they would like but they do, etc. People love those things. It's not Tiger King itself, it's just they can release these shows, usually only a handful of episodes, and it pulls people in. I can name multiple shows this year, last year, and years prior that pull people in just like Tiger King (Pandemic for example released this year early on in the coronavirus..kinda odd timing but perfect as well when you think about it).

Disney+ has some content, especially nature shows and a few odds and ends type shows, that can engage more than just those looking for Disney, Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars content but they won't necessarily have that pull that Netflix and premium channels can have because their content and intended audience won't allow for that. It's a downside to any streaming service that purposefully excludes certain aspects from the content they allow for.

I am actually concerned like you mentioned about future content. Not on Netflix and probably not premium channels because I think they'll be ok for a while (so really it's just that I feel they'll be in trouble later than others) but rather normal cable tv and streaming services that don't have content filmed from prior to coronavirus or content that they can purchase the rights to stream that is suitable for their intended audience. Multiple of the shows I watch have stopped early because they were still filming and producing when this hit. I am very interested in how the All Rise 'at home' filmed episode works out as that's supposedly a test for how it realistically works to film using people's homes and own devices and whatnot.

I like Disney+, the problem the content is on the low side minus the vaulted stuff, is that they are still pumping out content on the cable channels. Once those die/get merged/whatever, the new content will be sparse on D+ unlike Netflix who just buys everything in the world and drops it in.

I'd argue that Netflix has these things that come out that grab people's attention all the time;crime docuseries, and those odd shows no one would really think they would like but they do, etc. People love those things. It's not Tiger King itself, it's just they can release these shows, usually only a handful of episodes, and it pulls people in. I can name multiple shows this year, last year, and years prior that pull people in just like Tiger King (Pandemic for example released this year early on in the coronavirus..kinda odd timing but perfect as well when you think about it).

Disney+ has some content, especially nature shows and a few odds and ends type shows, that can engage more than just those looking for Disney, Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars content but they won't necessarily have that pull that Netflix and premium channels can have because their content and intended audience won't allow for that. It's a downside to any streaming service that purposefully excludes certain aspects from the content they allow for.

I am actually concerned like you mentioned about future content. Not on Netflix and probably not premium channels because I think they'll be ok for a while (so really it's just that I feel they'll be in trouble later than others) but rather normal cable tv and streaming services that don't have content filmed from prior to coronavirus or content that they can purchase the rights to stream that is suitable for their intended audience. Multiple of the shows I watch have stopped early because they were still filming and producing when this hit. I am very interested in how the All Rise 'at home' filmed episode works out as that's supposedly a test for how it realistically works to film using people's homes and own devices and whatnot.
And Disney+ can't really do a Tiger King type documentary because of the family friendly mantra. I have both Netflix and Disney+ and while I watch both I still find myself watching Disney+ more but I think thats more because I am catching up on shoes like clone wars and stuff over there than doing anything on the Netflix side.

Like you said there will be an interesting time coming up here as cable TV and streaming services won't have things finished. For example Grey's Anatomy on ABC and some other shows on other networks weren't able to finish their seasons as they had wanted. If we get to the fall and production is still halted on TV and film they could have some big issues for network television.

Just a heads-up, Taika already hosted a livestream of Thor: Ragnarok last week. He had Tessa Thompson and Mark Ruffalo join briefly. He also revealed some information for Thor: Love and Thunder:
https://news.avclub.com/taika-waititi-and-tessa-thompson-tease-over-the-top-t-1842821757
I don't know that Disney+ would do so, and I'm not sure they currently have the capability to present live content. It'd be a really intriguing idea, though.

And Disney+ can't really do a Tiger King type documentary because of the family friendly mantra.
Yup that's exactly what I mean.
I have both Netflix and Disney+ and while I watch both I still find myself watching Disney+ more but I think thats more because I am catching up on shoes like clone wars and stuff over there than doing anything on the Netflix side.
Most of Disney+ will be used I think for our weekly (well sort of) watch party we've started with the local DISers and the one who moved away using chat during the movie (so far watched original Tron, Finding Dory, and this week will be Atlantis).

But for me personally I did add a bunch of their nature shows that I'm normally a sucker for that type to watch here pretty soon and Netflix has those as well (quite a lot really) but Disney+ has some ones I'm really interested in.
Like you said there will be an interesting time coming up here as cable TV and streaming services won't have things finished. For example Grey's Anatomy on ABC and some other shows on other networks weren't able to finish their seasons as they had wanted. If we get to the fall and production is still halted on TV and film they could have some big issues for network television.
Yeah Grey's was one of the ones for me which will be interesting given that Station 19 is still able to run but they've made the two shows very intertwined this season. There's been multiple shows for me.

I think for the future it's made some shows that didn't do as well like Deputy (which my husband and I liked) easier to cancel as well as upcoming new shows a bit harder to continue on with pushing going forward with greenlight. Normally we're hearing about the new shows for the upcoming fall season at this point but that's pretty hard if the shows weren't able to be filmed or produced much before this whole thing. If you got a few episodes for example filmed and fully produced will that even be worth putting out on the tv schedule? I'm not sure. And existing shows are most def. in trouble. About a month ago when a lot of these shows started shutting down production and the film industry was in trouble I told my husband it reminded me of the Writers Strike a while ago. That spelled the end for a decent amount of shows.

But I do appreciate that some are trying to see what can work out. You had that SNL episode, you have All Rise coming up eventually, even the LIVE PD along with LIVE PD: Wanted are back just using video in the host's individual homes for conversations between them. But there's really not a huge ton of shows that can operate on that formula IMO.

I find it interesting that most all movies are being delayed. It seems to me that once they get to the point that they lift restrictions on movie theaters (and admittedly they may start with a 25-50% capacity policy) that SOME movie will take advantage and actually release and become a huge hit. After 3+ months of being cooped up, people are going to want to go to the movies once they are allowed.

One idea in my head is that if we can get to the point that testing is widely available, DIsney could re-open and initially only allow on-site guests into the parks. Guest would have to arrive at their resort first and then proceed with COVID-19 testing, and would only be allowed to go to the parks once they were tested negative. (Same with employees of course.) This way Disney restricts the number of guests while at the same time optimizing the money they make from said guests. (all on property guests) They also don't have to be concerned about having too many restrictions in the parks since all guests would be tested. There;s still some amount of risk in that guests could go off-site after checking in and catch the virus, but that likelyhood would be fairly low. Eventually they could expand to off-property guests which would require daily testing to come to the parks.

Disney is in a bind here because there are very few ways for a theme park to truly restrict people from getting near one another.

I find it interesting that most all movies are being delayed. It seems to me that once they get to the point that they lift restrictions on movie theaters (and admittedly they may start with a 25-50% capacity policy) that SOME movie will take advantage and actually release and become a huge hit. After 3+ months of being cooped up, people are going to want to go to the movies once they are allowed.
I think the movie industry is in trouble in large part because of theaters. AMC is on the verge of bankruptcy. Which one they go for will determine if the largest theater company in the world still exists.

*I'm sad on that for multiple fronts: it's headquartered here, we have about $200 wrapped up in gift cards and AMC Stubs rewards, just paid $15 to renew my stubs and it's my favorite movie theater company. But I hope to heck they are able to still functioning, going to the movies is such a nice stress releaser for us and we really enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter