News Round Up 2020

Good stuff here.

If this proceeds, it will be interesting to see how Disney enforces this. The resorts alone normally run at far more than 50% capacity I believe. I wonder how they will select who can/cannot proceed with their vacations or, do they hope people will cancel due to the feeling of their personal safety and/or border closings, etc.

Watching to see how this goes....

Good stuff here.

If this proceeds, it will be interesting to see how Disney enforces this. The resorts alone normally run at far more than 50% capacity I believe. I wonder how they will select who can/cannot proceed with their vacations or, do they hope people will cancel due to the feeling of their personal safety and/or border closings, etc.

I think a reopening date might be related to hotel occupancy. Like you said, who canceled? Which resorts are at capacity? Ugh such a tough spot to be in.

It is interesting that the article mentions mandated face masks for employees but not guests. The risk profile can be so dramatically different depending on where a guest is from. Wondering if any parks will adopt face masks for guests.

Good stuff here.

I'm also wondering about the 50% occupancy for restaurants. They obviously book those restaurants to capacity, so how do they decide who gets to keep their reservation and who doesn't?

I wonder what this means for the DVC dishes and appliances. They could, and should be, running those in the dishwasher between every set of guests, even if they appear to be clean and untouched. I suspect they could remove the soap dispensers, but they should be wiping those down between guests. However, we do have our own stuff we can bring. It looks like they could still provide the plastic, disposable cups for the bathroom. I will probably bring some cheap reusable plastic cups from home, just in case. Really glad to see that pools look like they can stay open.

Seems pretty reasonable - I better see if I can find my little 4 cup coffee maker to bring along.... :)

I will have to bring my electric tea kettle. I have hot tea every morning, no matter what the outside temp. I can bring my metal thermos and/or ceramic mug too.

I wonder what the hotel stipulations mean for cruises. I know they aren't discussing that, but these could be an insight into what the powers at be are thinking for cruises.

I really don't think it will be difficult to manage. Between financial issues and fear of travel/large groups, they are not going to be at capacity for some time. 50% capacity is around 175,000 people over the 4 parks. With 36,000 hotel rooms with an average of 4 people in each room, you end up at 144,000 people. So even if the hotels ran at 100% capacity, they meet the criteria. I assume they will operate under their current standard phased closure approach. Once they reach X% of 50% capacity, no new tix, followed by reservations, followed by onsite guests followed by complete closure. The logistics to make it all work would be challenge but the procedure behind it would be quite simple to maintain under capacity.

I really don't think it will be difficult to manage. Between financial issues and fear of travel/large groups, they are not going to be at capacity for some time. 50% capacity is around 175,000 people over the 4 parks. With 36,000 hotel rooms with an average of 4 people in each room, you end up at 144,000 people. So even if the hotels ran at 100% capacity, they meet the criteria. I assume they will operate under their current standard phased closure approach. Once they reach X% of 50% capacity, no new tix, followed by reservations, followed by onsite guests followed by complete closure. The logistics to make it all work would be challenge but the procedure behind it would be quite simple to maintain under capacity.
That's a ton of people. The average attendance last year at WDW was 159,000, across all 4 parks, which is about a 6 on most crowd calendars. But that's a daily number, at any given time it's much fewer. 144,000 people in the parks at once would feel like a Tuesday in a typical June. It's way, way, way too many people.

I'm also wondering about the 50% occupancy for restaurants. They obviously book those restaurants to capacity, so how do they decide who gets to keep their reservation and who doesn't?
limiting to onsite guests might help that....with the exception of possibly Springs.

Whatever the opening "restrictions" are or aren't .. it is going to take a lot to convince out-of-state guests to come down for a "vacation" .. ESPECIALLY if some things aren't running, have to wear masks, or just a general "uneasiness" about the virus. Some people just won't be willing to get on a plane for the rest of the year (which just rules them out of a WDW vacation).

Disney is going to have to offer a LOT of significant incentives to get the current people who have summer vacations planned to KEEP them, let alone get new ones for the summer and/or fall.

Who knows .. maybe things will get back to normal there after a few short weeks or months, .. but they will still need to throw most people a bone to get them in the door.

The minute cases spike (almost anywhere) .. which they will undoubtedly ... even less people will want to come down.

Even if there is a contingent of people that ARE willing to take the risk of the virus, will it be enough for it to be worth for Disney to be open? Will enough at Disney be "normal" enough for it to be worth going until many months from now?

Whatever the opening "restrictions" are or aren't .. it is going to take a lot to convince out-of-state guests to come down for a "vacation" .. ESPECIALLY if some things aren't running, have to wear masks, or just a general "uneasiness" about the virus. Some people just won't be willing to get on a plane for the rest of the year (which just rules them out of a WDW vacation).

Disney is going to have to offer a LOT of significant incentives to get the current people who have summer vacations planned to KEEP them, let alone get new ones for the summer and/or fall.

Who knows .. maybe things will get back to normal there after a few short weeks or months, .. but they will still need to throw most people a bone to get them in the door.

The minute cases spike (almost anywhere) .. which they will undoubtedly ... even less people will want to come down.

Even if there is a contingent of people that ARE willing to take the risk of the virus, will it be enough for it to be worth for Disney to be open? Will enough at Disney be "normal" enough for it to be worth going until many months from now?
I think it depends. Some (mostly the uber Disney fan) will be jumping at the fact to get out and go to the parks. Others like you said will wait and be more hesitant.

Disney is definitely going to have to be more flexible in the short term with guest recovery.

I think it depends. Some (mostly the uber Disney fan) will be jumping at the fact to get out and go to the parks. Others like you said will wait and be more hesitant.

Disney is definitely going to have to be more flexible in the short term with guest recovery.

There will always be people who need to be "first."

We can drive, have tickets and have the money and vacation time to go. I just won't do it yet. I have not brought my child out of the house during this other than the occasional car ride. To each their own, though.

There will always be people who need to be "first."

We can drive, have tickets and have the money and vacation time to go. I just won't do it yet. I have not brought my child out of the house during this other than the occasional car ride. To each their own, though.
Everyone is going to have to do what is best for them. I certainly am not jumping on an airplane tomorrow if they open. However I am booked for November and is some restrictions are still in place I am still going to go most likely.

We wouldn't go this summer, but not out of precaution, rather we don't go as often as others so we will wait until we can experience it in a "normal" capacity.
:)

i also think depends where they are coming from - as someone who lives near NYC and seen what things are like here - it is going to take a while before I am comfortable traveling and easing social distancing

But people in other areas that haven't been hit as hard might be more comfortable

i also think depends where they are coming from - as someone who lives near NYC and seen what things are like here - it is going to take a while before I am comfortable traveling and easing social distancing

But people in other areas that haven't been hit as hard might be more comfortable
Right .. I am within 1-day driving distance so I am comfortable TRAVELING there .. I am just not comfortable BEING there yet.

I have a trip planned for mid-June, but at this point, if Disney opens June 1st and is open to out-of-state people, they will have to probably offer me a huge "don't cancel" incentive to not cancel. As an uber fan, and veteran (we just came off a AP year 2018-2019) .. I have no problems going there with reduced experiences and employees all in face masks, but not when I am being charged the same price as I would in a "normal" vacation.

So one question - the Florida governor banned residents from NY, NJ and Connecticut from coming to Florida without a 14-day self quarantine. I don't think we can assume that will be lifted right away. Wondering how that will be handled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter