News Round Up 2020

If you tell me they are getting rid of the 6 month dining window and the 60 day FP+ window, and somehow shrinking it so that the week of my vacation I can find a spot at say, Cinderella's Table or even Sci-Fi Drive-In, I'm down. That said, we both know that won't be the case.

the promotion makes it seem like if you aren't a big planner it will take care of things for you and then you just follow what it says to do

Now, how effectively that does it, I have no idea, but I suspect a lot of guests will like it and have no idea if what it is telling them to do or not is the "best" strategy or not and just enjoy

I feel like I need to see it realyl working to fully understand the point of it/how it functions. All the screen shots just look like a fancier MDE with letting you modify things, etc. - I mean, I guess the idea is it helsp figure out how various resrvations can best fit together (and drive your to where they want you to go/where there is capacity) but it can't just "make up" capacity. Like, if I want to change my 7 Dwarf Mine Train time, there has to be other times ... so what exactly will it do in that situation that is different than what happens now?
I can see something like this being more beneficial to newer WDW guests than those of us who know the parks and visit more frequently.

A WDW hasn’t been about relaxation or disconnecting for probably 7 years now if not longer. This app is supposed to help though with the planning aspect and you’re not supposed to need to plan months and months in advance like before.

But I like doing the planning months before and not having to bother with it when I'm there. And they made me this way!

What does this even mean? Was there any detail provided?
* Physical and Digital Converged - "make sure you have your cell phone handy. you'll need it"
* Perennial (Not Episodic) - "We're not updating Star Wars Land. If don't put characters in there, you won't know whether it's set in ANH or TLJ"
* Personalized and Social - "While you have have your smart phone out, be sure to d/l Disney Genie. You'll need that too".
* In-Park and Beyond-The-Berm - "You can experience Batuu from your couch, just watch the YouTube videos!"

It sounds like a gps for the parks, telling you what to do next. I'm not thinking I'm going to like that part of it, but I'm not really a fan of gps while driving either.

It sounds like a gps for the parks, telling you what to do next. I'm not thinking I'm going to like that part of it, but I'm not really a fan of gps while driving either.

That isn't a bad comparison. Ideally a GPS would also be able to reroute your around traffice and try to find you the most efficient way to get to your location, and I think that is at least the "promise" of the Genie, that it will optimize your day

What does this even mean? Was there any detail provided?
* Physical and Digital Converged - "make sure you have your cell phone handy. you'll need it"
* Perennial (Not Episodic) - "We're not updating Star Wars Land. If don't put characters in there, you won't know whether it's set in ANH or TLJ"
* Personalized and Social - "While you have have your smart phone out, be sure to d/l Disney Genie. You'll need that too".
* In-Park and Beyond-The-Berm - "You can experience Batuu from your couch, just watch the YouTube videos!"
Responding even though I haven't watched this, but here's my read:

1. refers to AR experiences in the park, think about those magic moments photos you can get, but in this case you wouldn't need the photographer and it's all live
2. this is about complaints about how some SW fans don't feel a connection to the land and want them to integrate the original trilogy
3. planning app to maximize time in the parks depending on what you want to do
4. guessing this is some sort of AR/VR experience to use at home

If you tell me they are getting rid of the 6 month dining window and the 60 day FP+ window, and somehow shrinking it so that the week of my vacation I can find a spot at say, Cinderella's Table or even Sci-Fi Drive-In, I'm down. That said, we both know that won't be the case.
The new survey they are sending out to guests, gives the impression that FP+ will return and will still have some kind of advantage for on site guests. Testa and Hill were talking about it on the latest Disney Dish Podcast.

I'm way optimistic about Genie *if it works right*, which... you know. Prob more useful for new people who want to make sure they hit items that are important to them but don't want to stress too much with planning, but if they can get it so I don't end up checking the app every 30 min to minimize wait times that would be nice.

Doesn't appeal to me at all. Even if the infamous Disney IT people get it to work.

I can see something like this being more beneficial to newer WDW guests than those of us who know the parks and visit more frequently.
Agree. I go to the parks just to be in them and enjoy them as they come. I don't need/want "suggestions" from an app that is likely going to try to get me to spend money.

This is going to be very interesting for planning. Looks like you can make reservations of sorts via this app too. I wonder as wel of MDX will become absolete or how they’ll work in tandem.
Right it looks like a replacement to MDE. Which makes sense from an IT perspective .. probably easier to build a whole new app and replace an old one rather than try and fix/update existing code.

So this could just be a MDE 2.0 -- with a new fun name and new features.

Though, if park attendance and capacity is going to be low for the coming year .. really no need for a "planning" app for the near future is there?

But .. i can see this as the "GPS" some have mentioned. A lot of Disney is "hidden" in buildings or around corners or such. I am sure lots of things are skipped because you don't go down a certain path. You can't miss Spacehsip Earth. But you could miss Soaring because it is in a huge building .. up on a hill .. and even then . .when you get into the building it just looks/feels like a giant restaurant. Same with some of the pavilions.

Maybe it's just meant to help replace the guide maps WHILE helping you plan what to do next while you are in a certain area?? (I am sure Disney would love to stop printing those paper maps!)

Doesn't appeal to me at all. Even if the infamous Disney IT people get it to work.

Agree. I go to the parks just to be in them and enjoy them as they come. I don't need/want "suggestions" from an app that is likely going to try to get me to spend money.

They seem to imply that guests can use it for planning as much or as little as they want ... but also seem to be pushing more an dmore to the app/your phone so wonder if people will be able to get buy without using it at all (even if just for keeping track of passes and ADRs and things like that)

Genie just looks like what we expected it would be. Fancy MDE with an itinerary that you can move stuff around and plop in suggestions from Disney to divert crowds around.

Well they kind of already have. FP is gone currently and dining is 60 days out. I wouldn’t be surprised if that 60 day dining window stays. There is no need for 180. FP is going to look different when and if it returns.
Was there to experience it first-hand back in July. 60 is fine-ish. I would honestly like some reservations held back for day of. If they keep the reservation system long term (HATE IT), then they'd know staffing for restaurants. Also, less likely to have people miss a reservation if they make it the same day in a park...or have people keeping multiples.

I would suggest Disneyland then. Not trying to be smart just an honest recommendation; I don’t think people give it enough consideration.
Was great. Not as financially viable on a yearly basis from Philly as Orlando is. Was going to possibly go in 2021 depending upon youngest's height (want to make sure she can enjoy RSR) but may hold off for 2022.

the promotion makes it seem like if you aren't a big planner it will take care of things for you and then you just follow what it says to do

Now, how effectively that does it, I have no idea, but I suspect a lot of guests will like it and have no idea if what it is telling them to do or not is the "best" strategy or not and just enjoy
I don't want it to tell me what to do. Hell, I know what I want to do...I just don't want to have to plan everything out like they'd prefer me to, nor do I want to follow their plan. I don't mind planning a thing here or there.

That's what it's all about.

That isn't a bad comparison. Ideally a GPS would also be able to reroute your around traffice and try to find you the most efficient way to get to your location, and I think that is at least the "promise" of the Genie, that it will optimize your day

As someone that doesn't pay attention to the entertainment schedule except for what I want to see if it could alert you that x is starting and will crowd the hub so leave tomorrowland by 135 to get to your jungle fp without going or around that'd be great. I like coming upon various things but they are a pain when you get stuck by them. Often got stuck with the princess promenade at DLP. It's when I appreciate the loud music for move it shake it etc. so you hear it as you get close to the hub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter