News Round Up 2020

I think the new menu looks great! You still have to be seated, right? Can't just walk in. You couldn't before.

I tried to get worked about the Aladdin stuff, but eh. Honestly we never purchased anything from there besides food.

I know it is now no ADRs but not sure how seating / serving will work

Two things about the theater industry without touching upon the experience itself

1. It’s a beginner job for a lot of kids. Same as these chain stores bringing in self checkout machines taking away cashier jobs from teenagers. Yes, self checkouts are far easier for a multitude of reasons, if they’re used properly (I’m looking at the people that have a completely full shopping cart getting into the self checkout line). But there’s no ignoring the fact that it is taking away first time jobs for a lot of people. Even during Christmas season, I haven’t seen all of the normal checkout lines being used at Target. At most I’ve seen 7 open at the same time. More often than not it’s 1 or 2. Without movie theaters, that’s one less employment opportunity for 16 year old kids just trying to get experience in a working environment. Yes, theaters will still be open for the next 1-2 years, maybe longer. But because of stuff that HBOMax is doing, because people find it more convenient to watch this stuff at home, because of the theater shut downs during covid all culminate in not only future job potential, but current job losses. In 2019 there were 150,000 people employed at Movie Theaters. Right now? Including furloughed employees while their theaters are shut down...92,000. That’s a 38% unemployment rate in the theater industry in the US alone. But evil Chapek for laying off 32,000 employees, amirite? Whining about Disney’s layoffs while self-attributing to the job loss for teenagers and other theater workers just seems hypocritical to me.

2. Streaming doesn’t bring in pure gross. Which will inevitably trickle down to future budgets of films. Which will trickle down to prioritization of quantity over quality. We complain about how much these actors make but we forget what this talent had to do to get to the position they’re in of making the money they are. A lot of actors had to work multiple jobs to afford to live in LA/NY just to have the opportunity to hope someone finds them. Then they have to work their way up the ranks of Hollywood making small amounts of money for years to get the big payday. Then when they do get that 10M dollar deal for a movie. 10% goes to management. 10% goes to agency. 15% goes to lawyers. Oh, and then you’re hit with taxes on the 10M. So they’re signing a 10M dollar deal on a movie, and walking away with 3M. Still a lot of money, yes, but this narrative that they’re walking away with the money they signed on for is so completely false. And that’s just actors. Budgets will impact directors, writers (who are already underpaid), the amount of set jobs will decrease. All of this to eventually see the quality of projects reflect the trickle down effect from all of these factors.

So it’s not as cut and dry as convenience of home watching. Cheering for streaming because it’s easier for you brings forward a lot of ramifications.

Two things about the theater industry without touching upon the experience itself

1. It’s a beginner job for a lot of kids. Same as these chain stores bringing in self checkout machines taking away cashier jobs from teenagers. Yes, self checkouts are far easier for a multitude of reasons, if they’re used properly (I’m looking at the people that have a completely full shopping cart getting into the self checkout line). But there’s no ignoring the fact that it is taking away first time jobs for a lot of people. Even during Christmas season, I haven’t seen all of the normal checkout lines being used at Target. At most I’ve seen 7 open at the same time. More often than not it’s 1 or 2. Without movie theaters, that’s one less employment opportunity for 16 year old kids just trying to get experience in a working environment. Yes, theaters will still be open for the next 1-2 years, maybe longer. But because of stuff that HBOMax is doing, because people find it more convenient to watch this stuff at home, because of the theater shut downs during covid all culminate in not only future job potential, but current job losses. In 2019 there were 150,000 people employed at Movie Theaters. Right now? Including furloughed employees while their theaters are shut down...92,000. That’s a 38% unemployment rate in the theater industry in the US alone. But evil Chapek for laying off 32,000 employees, amirite? Whining about Disney’s layoffs while self-attributing to the job loss for teenagers and other theater workers just seems hypocritical to me.

2. Streaming doesn’t bring in pure gross. Which will inevitably trickle down to future budgets of films. Which will trickle down to prioritization of quantity over quality. We complain about how much these actors make but we forget what this talent had to do to get to the position they’re in of making the money they are. A lot of actors had to work multiple jobs to afford to live in LA/NY just to have the opportunity to hope someone finds them. Then they have to work their way up the ranks of Hollywood making small amounts of money for years to get the big payday. Then when they do get that 10M dollar deal for a movie. 10% goes to management. 10% goes to agency. 15% goes to lawyers. Oh, and then you’re hit with taxes on the 10M. So they’re signing a 10M dollar deal on a movie, and walking away with 3M. Still a lot of money, yes, but this narrative that they’re walking away with the money they signed on for is so completely false. And that’s just actors. Budgets will impact directors, writers (who are already underpaid), the amount of set jobs will decrease. All of this to eventually see the quality of projects reflect the trickle down effect from all of these factors.

So it’s not as cut and dry as convenience of home watching. Cheering for streaming because it’s easier for you brings forward a lot of ramifications.

I'm not cheering for streaming. All of whats happening isn't going to make a difference in our movie watching habits. We stopped going years ago. And we most likely won't be paying $30 or more to watch at home.

And to your first point, while sad, I hate to say it but this won't be the first industry to lose jobs to new technology or what have you. In my field, jobs were lost because someone invented a computer program that could do the work of some of the people. I mean look at the auto industry.

All that said, I dont think the theatre experience is going anywhere. And I dont want it to.

Last edited:
I'm not cheering for streaming. All of whats happening isn't going to make a difference in our movie watching habits. We stopped going years ago. And we most likely won't be paying $30 or more to watch at home.

And to your first point, while sad, I hate to say it but this won't be the first industry to lose jobs to new technology or what have you. In my field, jobs were lost because someone invented a computer program that could do the work of some of the people.

All that said, I dont think the theatre experience is going anywhere.

Its far from the first, and won’t be the last to see jobs being taken because of advanced technology. But that doesn’t make it justifiable to expedite the process for the convenience of home viewing. That’s like saying we should shut down museums because you can google the images of these works of art at home.

Movie theaters are going away. AMC and Regal will almost certainly cease to exist. Theaters will become boutiques with a limited number of them scattered throughout the country. Like drive-ins currently are. 2019 was a record year for theatrical viewing. 5 months later AMC and Regal don’t know if they’ll survive. These chains are broke and it’s only getting worse by the day. I’m not advocating that they should be open right now. I would feel comfortable going to them, but even I haven’t gone to see a movie since Onward. Not because I don’t want to, but because other than the 2 weeks my “local” (still a 30 minute drive) AMC was open, I’d have to drive an hour to the movie theater, and to me, Tenant wasn’t worth it. WW84 will be. Raya and the Last Dragon will be. But when the time comes that AMC and Regal shut down theaters in smaller towns and concentrate on city theaters, it’s unlikely that I’m going to be able to drive an hour every weekend to see movies like Ford v Ferrari, Knives Out, Doctor Sleep, etc.

Its far from the first, and won’t be the last to see jobs being taken because of advanced technology. But that doesn’t make it justifiable to expedite the process for the convenience of home viewing. That’s like saying we should shut down museums because you can google the images of these works of art at home.

Movie theaters are going away. AMC and Regal will almost certainly cease to exist. Theaters will become boutiques with a limited number of them scattered throughout the country. Like drive-ins currently are. 2019 was a record year for theatrical viewing. 5 months later AMC and Regal don’t know if they’ll survive. These chains are broke and it’s only getting worse by the day. I’m not advocating that they should be open right now. I would feel comfortable going to them, but even I haven’t gone to see a movie since Onward. Not because I don’t want to, but because other than the 2 weeks my “local” (still a 30 minute drive) AMC was open, I’d have to drive an hour to the movie theater, and to me, Tenant wasn’t worth it. WW84 will be. Raya and the Last Dragon will be. But when the time comes that AMC and Regal shut down theaters in smaller towns and concentrate on city theaters, it’s unlikely that I’m going to be able to drive an hour every weekend to see movies like Ford v Ferrari, Knives Out, Doctor Sleep, etc.

But you can't blame, shame or whatever people who are different than you and just don't find the theatre experience worth it to them anymore.

It sucks and I hope it doesn't happen. But its no one's "fault".

And Knives Out was fantastic and perfectly enjoyed on the couch with bourbon. 😉

But you can't blame, shame or whatever people who are different than you and just don't find the theatre experience worth it to them anymore.

It sucks and I hope it doesn't happen. But its no one's "fault".

And Knives Out was fantastic and perfectly enjoyed on the couch with bourbon. 😉
I don't think he is blaming people as much as he's blaming Disney, WB and others that are pushing streaming over the theatres.

I don't think he is blaming people as much as he's blaming Disney, WB and others that are pushing streaming over the theatres.

Well I am blaming movie watchers too lol. But not people like Farro, or Max, or people in general who haven’t gone in years, or can’t justify the cost, or have children. It’s the people that are championing the idea of full on streaming for the sake of convenience. I hate people that take out their phones. I hate people that talk during movies. But I also hate being run over by ECVs, hate waiting in 3 hour lines for a 5 minute ride. I hate line cutters. But I still love going to theme parks and pay a lot of money to do so.

I think that and he's possibly annoyed at those who choose to stream.rather than go to theatre. Its upsetting and I get it.

Only time will tell. I think theatres will still be around.

I should also add, Micky goes to see his Marvel stuff in theatres with friends, I watch at home. He would miss that.

Well I am blaming movie watchers too lol. But not people like Farro, or Max, or people in general who haven’t gone in years, or can’t justify the cost, or have children. It’s the people that are championing the idea of full on streaming for the sake of convenience. I hate people that take out their phones. I hate people that talk during movies. But I also hate being run over by ECVs, hate waiting in 3 hour lines for a 5 minute ride. I hate line cutters. But I still love going to theme parks and pay a lot of money to do so.

But I can’t ride Slinky Dog in my back yard. I can, however, watch a movie on my 60” TV without people ruining it for me.

Blame the idiots who ruin it, not those of us who are tired of them.

I think that and he's possibly annoyed at those who choose to stream.rather than go to theatre. Its upsetting and I get it.

Only time will tell. I think theatres will still be around.

I try to think that people thought Walt was nuts for promoting television as they thought it would kill the theater and movie industry - but obviously that didn't happen.

Will things change? Sure ... but thinking this will kill theaters is a bit of a reach in my mind

A lot of people watch them. I do. I watch HEA at least once a month. But it doesn’t replace the in person experience. But you can get the lesser experience at home if you want, just like you can get the lesser experience of movies at home. Doesn’t make the movie worse. Doesn’t make HEA worse. Doesn’t make the ride worse. But you’re not replacing going on the ride in person. No matter how big your TV is. No matter how good your sound system is, you’re absolutely not replacing the sound and scope of a movie in a theater

A lot of people watch them. I do. I watch HEA at least once a month. But it doesn’t replace the in person experience. But you can get the lesser experience at home if you want, just like you can get the lesser experience of movies at home. Doesn’t make the movie worse. Doesn’t make HEA worse. Doesn’t make the ride worse. But you’re not replacing going on the ride in person. No matter how big your TV is. No matter how good your sound system is, you’re absolutely not replacing the sound and scope of a movie in a theater

Not every movie needs sound and scope though!!!

Blockbuster/Sci-fi/Fantasy/superhero movies, sure!

But there are PLENTY of excellent movies that are just as easily enjoyed on your own big screen in your own home.

I think there is a market for both releasing some or most movies to theatres and some for streaming.

Last edited:
Not every movie needs sound and scope though!!!

Blockbuster/Sci-fi/Fantasy/superhero movies, sure!

But there are PLENTY of excellent movies that are just as easily enjoyed on your own big screen in your own home.

That’s absolutely subjective. Ford V Ferrari. Not a blockbuster. Not Sci Fi. Not superhero. The movie is so far and a way a better theatrical experience than at home. Same with Invisible Man.

What needs to be understood here is these moves are taking away from people like me. Something that I have had a life long love for and memories of. If movies stay theatrical, it’s not taking anything away from you, or anyone that wants this stuff go to streaming.

That’s absolutely subjective. Ford V Ferrari. Not a blockbuster. Not Sci Fi. Not superhero. The movie is so far and a way a better theatrical experience than at home. Same with Invisible Man.

What needs to be understood here is these moves are taking away from people like me. Something that I have had a life long love for and memories of. If movies stay theatrical, it’s not taking anything away from you, or anyone that wants this stuff go to streaming.

First, Invisible Man was an awful movie. 😄

I also don't think anyone is asking for theatres to be made obsolete.

I really think you are getting prematurely upset about something that isn't going to happen.

And sidebar...Flight Attendant on HBO is a lot of fun!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter