News Round Up 2020

Not "news" per se, but I received an invite to a survey when I went to the WDW site today. A lot of the questions were focused on "coming back" ... like are you planning a trip, etc. And things like: "Would you come back to theme parks, water parks, restaurants, etc. the minute things are open (not caring about safety precautions), would you only come back if there are safety precautions, would you only come back if there is a vaccine, etc."

And another question series was about Memory Maker .. basically asking if you would purchase it, and if not, why you wouldn't get it: (with options like "because there are no M&Gs" and "Because I don't want to wear masks in my photos").

Not sure how Disney makes Memory Maker "worth" it during this time at all. All I know is I won't really be bothering using PhotoPass photographers even if I have it included in my AP if we can't even slip our mask off for 5 seconds (with no one around us) to get a smiling photo.

So, it seems they are trying to get feedback on what people think of the parks current state though and what they think about coming back. They should just come here. We'll let 'em know what we think! :)

I think the Photopass situation is more about not encouraging the individual to touch their mask. Because let's be honest, if you are wearing a mask and you continue to touch it with unclean hands it sort of defeats the purpose right? So I understand them not wanting to encourage that.

Again, I think many of the safety things are much like the TSA. It's there to make people "feel safer" even it may not necessarily do anything scientifically. For example, the temp screening, or the lack of social distancing when exiting a ride.

To me it's a little like my doctors offices when COVID numbers were at their peak. You had to wait in the car, you had to have your temp taken, you had to wear a mask, and then when you got in the back almost nobody was wearing a mask and my doc still shook my hand. All of those rules and procedures made patients "feel" safer but in the end you were just as much at risk at some point anyway. I look at Disney the same way. It's not making thing any LESS safe, but it's not near the protection it's giving the illusion that it is. At some point in your visit to the park you'll be at risk around a large gathering. You just have to decide if it's worth it to hit up your favorite rides and be in the Disney parks.

For me and my family, it totally is :)

I hate it for those actors :(

But I get Disney's position as well. If they cannot figure a way to get guests in these shows, seated safely, and out with minimal risks then they cannot just continue to pay them. I am sure too that goes for the show itself as well. Something like Frozen is a big stage where the performers can stay apart, but FOTLK requires alot of closeness between the performers. If that cannot be accommodated safely then what is Disney to do?

It's still so sad for all of those involved and affected....

Last edited:

Again, I think many of the safety things are much like the TSA. It's there to make people "feel safer" even it may not necessarily do anything scientifically. For example, the temp screening, or the lack of social distancing when exiting a ride.

At some point in your visit to the park you'll be at risk around a large gathering. You just have to decide if it's worth it to hit up your favorite rides and be in the Disney parks.

For me and my family, it totally is :)
For sure -- I think Disney is trying to get a "feel" what percentage of their guests are NOT coming because of the restrictive safety protocols and what percentage of their guests would not come if safety protocols were lessened. They are walking a fine line there and seemingly doing a great job thus far.

While I think they've done a great job of showing that the parks are safe, I think where they are hurting now is the continued perception that the parks has significantly LESS to do (at the same cost) especially after all the announced entertainment cuts.

Cedar Fair Rumor

Cedar Fair is supposedly considering not reopening California’s Great America and relocating some of it’s rides. If true, this would be the industry’s biggest casualty for the year. Very much an unconfirmed rumor.

A day late here but this is interesting. Most of their parks were able to reopen but it makes sense to close this. It also sends a message to their state leaders. I'll be watching to see what happens with this.

Does anyone think they might consider a second NBA bubble at WDW for the upcoming season?

Players have heard talks that there’s an option for 4 bubble locations. With what happened in the MLB last night May have some impact on whether those rumors become reality

Certainly it's attractive for bubble locations for a variety of sports. If the NBA doesn't do it, I could see NHL or something else give it a try. It is a solid concept during the current situation. Getting those beds filled is the key to weathering this storm for Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter