• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2020

Doesn't that make it easier for you to go out?

With 3 young kids organizing an evening out is only slightly less complicated than managing a land war in Asia

Basically this. Mine are getting a bit easier at 10, 9 and 7 but in years prior it could be an operation... turning down 10000 requests for overpriced candy, soda, trying to evenly split popcorn without them accidentally dumping the entire thing on the floor. Trying to locate 5 seats in a group that aren't too close to anyone else, mid movie bathroom breaks even though they went right beforehand, comforting your one kid when they are terrified of the big clown and vacuum cleaner in Inside Out... lol. Good memories but just not a frequent thing, on top of ticket costs for 5. I'd rather take them out to eat at a restaurant and get out of cooking dinner for an evening at that cost.

Prior to children we probably went a little bit more often, but still not as often as I went when I was a teenager. We went a lot back then.

What does age have to do with it?

We are couple in 40's with no kids and we go out all the time (or did). It's hard to believe, but you don't turn into a hermit after 40.... 😬

We just don't like theatres because they are obnoxious over here. We stopped going years ago when a fight broke out.
See my previously reply.

It saddens me to hear things like that. IMO the worst part of this pandemic is how it just pushed people quicker to being non social society. Less and less people go out anymore. From streaming movies to going out for drinks or to eat, more and more people stay in instead.
true, but the older you get the more you appreciate pause button for a bathroom break!

Doesn't that make it easier for you to go out?
I don't necessarily think it does. I think it depends on the offerings of one's area and one's habits either as they stay the same or change over time.

I know multiple parents that love to take their kids out for movies.

B&B has sensory friendly movie times complete with a playground inside the theater. That has become invaluable to some parents.

Reserved seating I think also helped because parents could show up a bit later than before and still have their seats. Wrangling the kids and keeping them occupied for 30mins before the movie just so you could get seats together doesn't have to happen with reserved seating.

That said it's not as if every movie going experience is sunshine and daisies, sometimes the kids are quite disruptive and I think that goes with the movie you are seeing or that they are just not able to see a movie attention span wise in a normal theater.

I actually will say one thing. A local article from just after the new year this year (so just before the entire world changed) discussing the local chain of B&B Theaters mentioned this: "There are recent studies that find people who watch movies at home are actually your best moviegoers,” he says. “People who watch Netflix go to movies more than anybody else.” The fact that there’s a positive correlation between streaming and movie theater attendance is surprising to some, says Phil Contrino, the director of media research for the National Association of Theatre Owners. “People who love content are watching it across platforms, and all platforms have a place in consumers’ minds.” Anyone else a bit surprised at that? Sounds like the opposite of what some of us have been talking to. It could be that this pandemic alters that correlation because of the health safety of movie theaters and restrictions in place. Would love for studies to be redone say early 2022 IF there's any theaters still going vs basically non-functioning.

I don't necessarily think it does. I think it depends on the offerings of one's area and one's habits either as they stay the same or change over time.

I know multiple parents that love to take their kids out for movies.

B&B has sensory friendly movie times complete with a playground inside the theater. That has become invaluable to some parents.

View attachment 543492

View attachment 543493

Reserved seating I think also helped because parents could show up a bit later than before and still have their seats. Wrangling the kids and keeping them occupied for 30mins before the movie just so you could get seats together doesn't have to happen with reserved seating.

That said it's not as if every movie going experience is sunshine and daisies, sometimes the kids are quite disruptive and I think that goes with the movie you are seeing or that they are just not able to see a movie attention span wise in a normal theater.

I actually will say one thing. A local article from just after the new year this year (so just before the entire world changed) discussing the local chain of B&B Theaters mentioned this: "There are recent studies that find people who watch movies at home are actually your best moviegoers,” he says. “People who watch Netflix go to movies more than anybody else.” The fact that there’s a positive correlation between streaming and movie theater attendance is surprising to some, says Phil Contrino, the director of media research for the National Association of Theatre Owners. “People who love content are watching it across platforms, and all platforms have a place in consumers’ minds.” Anyone else a bit surprised at that? Sounds like the opposite of what some of us have been talking to. It could be that this pandemic alters that correlation because of the health safety of movie theaters and restrictions in place. Would love for studies to be redone say early 2022 IF there's any theaters still going vs basically non-functioning.

Well, I was thinking more than just movies. Just the idea of "going out". When we were younger we would chat about it and then just go out, no major planning required. Now it is a lot more effort to decide what to do if we bring the kids or arrange for a baby sitter if we don't.

And then the added expense - if we get a baby sitter that is at least $50 spent before we even do anything while out. Or we bring the kids and then we have to pay for them as well. So even for like a movie, even if we minimize food there it is hard to see one for less than $100 all in

As others have said, I like the options that streaming provides. Surprisingly I’m not a fan of the WB route, by just releasing them for free on HBO Max. I’d actually rather see them charge a PPV type of price to be able to watch movies at home on day of release, but also still release them to theaters. Give everyone the option of where and how they want to see them and still make money. Could also be dynamic pricing for movies (charge more for a blockbuster and less for an artistic film that isn’t expected to gross as much). I think it’s a work in progress for the studios but they will eventually arrive at a happy medium.

OK, I'll jump in here. There is another reason that we (as older fogies) do not go to theaters.... there are really very few movies we want to see, and especially spend money on, when we can see them at home, and yes, hit the pause every time we need to.

Our local theaters have senior discount days, and that makes the in-theater experience a bit more attractive, but really, between the overly loud sound track, the need to time a pit stop somewhere in the middle of the show where you won't miss something important, and being surrounded by phones, and talkers, it takes something really special to get us to go to a theater to see a movie. I can count on one hand the number if times we went to a movie theater in a year, even before the virus.

Maybe I’m just in a very considerate area but I’ve had very few instances of having people on phones disrupt me. We also have reserved seats at our theaters and the “dream loungers” which are essentially recliners.

I’m in an area where where people take their phones out and talk. But I still choosing Theaters over streaming any day. I’ve given up on ignoring it. If I see phones out, I’m going to go rat you out. I do think theaters should take more responsibility in that type of enforcement on their own. They know it happens. I think it’s Alamo draft house that won’t even give you a warning. If they see you with a phone out, they kick you out immediately.

Seeing comedies and horror movies are a big reason theatrical can’t be replaced at home. The communal reactions from those genre’s aren’t replicated at home. The Avengers Endgame moment. I saw Endgame back to back on opening night and the 2nd time I couldn’t wait for that moment with mjolnir just to see the reaction from people that haven’t seen it yet.

Just like seeing Hamilton at home was nowhere near seeing it in person. Or watching POVs of rides on YouTube isn’t the same as being at the theme park and experiencing them yourself.

Once the pandemic subsides and it’s safe to go back to movie theatres and they eventually reopen (they’ve been closed since March where I live) I will likely resign up for AMC A List. It’s made movie going prices palatable since a movie ticket to a Dolby screening on a Friday night is about the monthly sub fee. Some of the Disney movies that are going/have gone to Disney+ I wanted to see in theatres specifically for the next experience of seeing them in Dolby.

Once the pandemic ends I cannot wait to go do all the things. Even things I previously didn't really love doing...like seeing a movie in a theatre! It's really the only way I will see a movie. Otherwise I think of all the things I should be doing and get distracted.

The only real reason I go to a theater is to see the content early, not to be in a social environment, and not to see things on a "big screen." So, for us, if the content is offered as streaming at home at the same time as being released in the theater, we would choose to stay home and stream it. Interestingly enough, if I saw a movie at home that screamed "I need surround sound and a huge screen" then I'd pay again to go to a theater (I would have done that with Avatar, for example) when it wasn't crowded; weeks after release at a Tuesday matinee lol.

some updates on the Moroccan Pavilion, which is now under Disney control.

Reduced merchandise space and much of what is there is Aladdin related stuff with the leftover inventory from before.

Spice Road Table set to reopen tomorrow with modified menu/set up and training is going on there - the grab and go window for food and drinks is open now though

https://blogmickey.com/2020/12/disney-takes-over-morocco-pavilion-at-epcot-most-offerings-closed/
I'm looking forward to seeing SRT's modified menu. I was hoping to get a light supper there the Sunday night all of our family arrives, to supplement what we might want from the food booths.

I'm looking forward to seeing SRT's modified menu. I was hoping to get a light supper there the Sunday night all of our family arrives, to supplement what we might want from the food booths.

yeah, could be a potentially nice place to get a drink and small plate and just chill in the seating area

I suspect they will have to monitor the area so that people don't just sit there without buying food there

yeah, could be a potentially nice place to get a drink and small plate and just chill in the seating area

I suspect they will have to monitor the area so that people don't just sit there without buying food there

I think the new menu looks great! You still have to be seated, right? Can't just walk in. You couldn't before.

I tried to get worked about the Aladdin stuff, but eh. Honestly we never purchased anything from there besides food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter