• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No masks at Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to make a return at Walmart yesterday and I too was shocked that everyone inside was wearing a mask. I thought that the guidelines had changed. This was in Metro Detroit. My friend works at Target and they did remove the mask mandate for vaccinated people.

Eye Glass & Pharmacy locations are not exactly owned by WalMart, more like managed. They fall under different rules. As others have mentioned, masks in health care settings are still a thing, and both of these qualify as health care. I don't think people are trying to bully people into keeping silent. I think it's just the common sense of masks simply aren't lifted in 100% of the settings, nor are they required to be. It's valid for those areas to still require masks.
And it is perfectly reasonable and appropriate to question directions that infringes on your personal liberty, and/or are inconsistent with your understanding of the policy reported in numerous sources.

I dunno...

it’s within my rights to go cheerlead or crank up my music and dance out on my lawn from 7a-10p 7 days a week, keep a barrel of dung burning all month, or always wait 30 seconds before accelerating at any red light or stop sign, etc.

What I wouldn’t expect is my community to think: “There is a person who knows her rights.”

Many things are within my rights but are a matter of civility. We share a community. There’s nothing to prove to an employee that wouldn’t be better served by discussing with manager or owner.

Actually, you may very well not be within your rights to play loud music, to burn dung, or to interfere with the flow of traffic. It likely depends on local ordinances (as opposed to unilateral fiats from a single person).

I also would think it perfectly civil for your neighbors to question your decision to play loud music, or to burn dung, and fellow drivers to honk their horn when you are inexplicably sitting at a green light.

I do agree that a discussion with the manager is warranted, but not sure how you get there without first letting the front line employees know of your concern. I also would think letting employees and others in the public know of your displeasure with the situation is important. That is, after all, the nature of a peaceful protest.

There’s nothing to prove to an employee that wouldn’t be better served by discussing with manager or owner.
Who says I'm trying to "prove" anything?
Employee: "Sir, can I see your receipt?"
Me: "No, Thank You"

If me saying no and continuing to walk is "trying to prove a point", than isn't the employee asking for the receipt "trying to prove a point"?

LEGALLY:
1) They can not make you produce your receipt (unless they have some other suspicion that I'm shoplifting).
2) They can not stop you solely because you wouldn't produce a receipt.

By not showing the receipt, I am not:
1) Looking down my nose at the employee.
2) Think they are a POS.
3) Trying to prove a point.

Why do you assume one looks at them like they are a useless POS just because they don't want to have an unreasonable search by someone who just plain old has no authority? And it is my belief that you can tell the uniformed officer no as that would also be an unreasonable search by authority which is definitely unconstitutional per the 4th Amendment.
And you’d likely have about as much success as those ‘sovereign citizens’ we see on YouTube trying to get out of speeding tickets. Would you also say “no thanks” and keep going when they try to stop you at a DWI checkpoint?

Last edited:
I do agree that a discussion with the manager is warranted, but not sure how you get there without first letting the front line employees know of your concern. I also would think letting employees and others in the public know of your displeasure with the situation is important. That is, after all, the nature of a peaceful protest.
You have no right to protest on private property. You can try but they can also force you to leave.

The fact that people are willing to spend minutes making a scene and discussing with a manager to avoid seconds of employee checking a receipt kind of shows how ridiculous this subject is.

Last edited:

And you’d likely have about as much success as those ‘sovereign citizens’ we see on YouTube trying to get out of speeding tickets. Would you also say “no thanks” and keep going when they try to stop you at a DWI checkpoint?
So you jumped to a speeding ticket then a DWI checkpoint. But, again, know your rights. DWI checkpoints are generally held to be legal. https://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/what-are-my-legal-rights-at-a-dui-checkpoint.html. Stopping someone only because they wouldn't show a receipt is not.
https://www.legaldefinitions.co/do-...'s Privilege,they believe that you shoplifted.

You have no right to protest on private property.

The fact that people are willing to spend minutes making a scene and discussing with a manager to avoid seconds of employee checking a receipt kind of shows how ridiculous this subject is.
What do people think is going on?

Situation 1
Receipt Checker to customer: "Can I see your receipt?"
Customer: Sure, here you go.
Receipt Checker (stops to look at receipt and possibly items in cart or bag): "Great, have a nice day"

Situation 2
Customer: No Thank you (continues walking)

How do you get to "minutes making a scene"?

So you jumped to a speeding ticket then a DWI checkpoint. But, again, know your rights. DWI checkpoints are generally held to be legal. https://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/what-are-my-legal-rights-at-a-dui-checkpoint.html. Stopping someone only because they wouldn't show a receipt is not.
https://www.legaldefinitions.co/do-...'s Privilege,they believe that you shoplifted.
Just exploring the reasons given for refusing to stop when asked. So how is refusing to stop at a DWI checkpoint different from refusing to show a receipt? In both cases the person stopping you has no idea whether you are intoxicated or a shoplifter.

What do people think is going on?

Situation 1
Customer: Sure, here you go.
Receipt Checker (stops to look at receipt and possibly items in cart or bag): "Great, have a nice day"

Situation 2
Customer: No Thank you (continues walking)

How do you get to "minutes making a scene"?
Read what I quoted again. Guy is talking about discussions with managers and "letting employees and others in public know of your displeasure."

Why do you assume one looks at them like they are a useless POS just because they don't want to have an unreasonable search by someone who just plain old has no authority?

Dear God. I do not have the strength to cover that again. Please go back and read ALL of the posts from everyone.

And it is my belief that you can tell the uniformed officer no as that would also be an unreasonable search by authority which is definitely unconstitutional per the 4th Amendment.

Then your belief is wrong. The police officer is there as an extra added layer of security. They are off duty (despite the uniform) and the store's POLICY to check your receipt can be enforced by the officer. Again, I do not have the time or strength to explain this to you if you are not getting it by now. Figure it out or don't. Checking your receipt at the front door of a store as you are exiting is not explicitly covered under the 4th Amendment. If you would like to argue that point then I suggest you take it up with the SCOTUS.

Read what I quoted again. Guy is talking about discussions with managers and "letting employees and others in public know of your displeasure."
Well first, a "discussion with a manager" <> "making a scene".

Second, it's going to be extremely rare (but it does happen) that the receipt checker will stop you if you say "no" and continue walking. If they do so, there's still no need to "make a scene", simply ask for the manager and wait calmly.

Dear God. I do not have the strength to cover that again. Please go back and read ALL of the posts from everyone.

Then your belief is wrong. The police officer is there as an extra added layer of security. They are off duty (despite the uniform) and the store's POLICY to check your receipt can be enforced by the officer. Again, I do not have the time or strength to explain this to you if you are not getting it by now. Figure it out or don't. Checking your receipt at the front door of a store as you are exiting is not explicitly covered under the 4th Amendment. If you would like to argue that point then I suggest you take it up with the SCOTUS.
Except it has. https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...0l3j69i65l3.1255j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And it is perfectly reasonable and appropriate to question directions that infringes on your personal liberty, and/or are inconsistent with your understanding of the policy reported in numerous sources.
It didn't sound like the author of the thread was going to say something based on infringing of personal liberty. I think that says a lot about the author of the thread (in a good way). I think they were just confused because they heard one thing. That seems to be why many people are asking about signs, bringing up the difference between Walmart policy and facilities inside Walmart and more. I'm not sure why the conversation has to jump to civil/personal liberties especially if the author of the thread isn't going to make it about it.

Like paying for a membership to a warehouse club and agreeing to the receipt check as part of the paid membership, I agree upon acquiring a license to drive a motor vehicle that I may get stopped by the police while utilizing that license. I haven't agreed to anything that says I must be searched without probable cause for shoplifting when I am carrying my legally acquired possessions.

Please show me where walking past someone asking to see your receipt of your legally acquired possessions is against the law or where not following a business's policy is a crime.

Like paying for a membership to a warehouse club and agreeing to the receipt check as part of the paid membership, I agree upon acquiring a license to drive a motor vehicle that I may get stopped by the police while utilizing that license. I haven't agreed to anything that says I must be searched without probable cause for shoplifting when I am carrying my legally acquired possessions.
I don't think paying for a club warehouse is any different than walking into Walmart. If a person is going to make a stink about showing a receipt to someone for the premise that place looking at items bought and items on the receipt why wouldn't the person just say no thank you and walk out of of the club warehouse too? People like to make it about a fee paid for a membership as if that changes the issue or getting a DL. Either you're against it because it infringes (and ick I hate even saying that) on your rights or it doesn't.

Heck if someone is going to flip flop like that and give a "but I paid a fee for a membership so it changes things" or "by getting a DL it changes things" I'm going to question the veracity of their conviction on their belief versus a selection application of it whenever it suits them best. That's why these conversations always devolve into a mindless circle.

I don't think paying for a club warehouse is any different than walking into Walmart. If a person is going to make a stink about showing a receipt to someone for the premise that place looking at items bought and items on the receipt why wouldn't the person just say no thank you and walk out of of the club warehouse too? People like to make it about a fee paid for a membership as if that changes the issue or getting a DL. Either you're against it because it infringes (and ick I hate even saying that) on your rights or it doesn't.

Heck if someone is going to flip flop like that and give a "but I paid a fee for a membership so it changes things" or "by getting a DL it changes things" I'm going to question the veracity of their conviction on their belief versus a selection application of it whenever it suits them best. That's why these conversations always devolve into a mindless circle.
The point is not whether you paid for a membership. The point is you agreed to the membership agreement. Part of the membership agreement is you agree to provide the receipt. Same with the DL. Again, courts have ruled that DWI checkpoints are legal. Courts have also ruled forcing someone to show a receipt from a store the public is allowed in (ie: no membership required) is NOT legal.

The police officer is there as an extra added layer of security. They are off duty (despite the uniform) and the store's POLICY to check your receipt can be enforced by the officer. Again, I do not have the time or strength to explain this to you if you are not getting it by now. Figure it out or don't. Checking your receipt at the front door of a store as you are exiting is not explicitly covered under the 4th Amendment. If you would like to argue that point then I suggest you take it up with the SCOTUS.
I would imagine that a police officer asking to see your receipt is the officer performing a Terry stop. It is sad that officers are so poorly trained that they would perform a stop and frisk for every person leaving a store.

The courts would slap down the officer and their department very firmly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter